The Student Room Group

Hate my sister, she is a deadbeat mother and I’m basically the dad !!!! Help

So my sister has had **** relationships with men because of her behaviour. She has a 13 year old who we’ve looked after since she was born as the dad has never be around. My sister chose to have another child with another man and he is no where to be found. My sister is now 34. And her new child is 2. My sister has gone back to university to do healthcare which means she has 12 week placements x3. The dad is not in the 2 year olds life either. Idk why she chooses such **** men then we have to pick up the mess.

Anyways my dad passed away 3 years ago and since then I haven’t worked. I’m in uni but currently off until October. My sister use to pay me £80 a week for 12 weeks as she claimed extra childcare through a dodgey way but now she has stopped paying me. She is on a placement which has 5 weeks left. Once she’s done I’ll be at uni again.

I wish I worked because then i wouldn’t have to babysit. I don’t think it’s my responsibility. The 2 year old stays at my house 4x a week and I have to pick him and drop him to nursery 2x a week. I’m getting so frustrated we’ve had arguments about this in the past but my mum obviously wants my sister to have help but my mum can’t do much because she works.

Anyways healthcare jobs are usually 12 hours 7-7. My sister said she’ll work community so she only does 9-5 which I think she should because I can’t look after him forever it’s not fair. I’m so anxious she’ll ask for more help in the future.

What’s the difference between helping a family member out and someone taking advantage of you ?
I always warn my sister about these men and she never listens. When I was 9 I had to look after my now 13 year old niece and it’s just history repeating itself

I mean I’m guessing if I had a busy life she wouldn’t be able to dump her kids on me. On the weekends I go to my bf house and my mum doesn’t come home Friday- Monday as she works in stay at house care. My sister goes clubbing and makes my 13 year old look after the 2 year old. I’ve had many arguments with her about it being wrong.

What excuse can I use in future to get away from this ****?!!!! Obviously her placement ends in 6 weeks and I start uni but then I’m scared she’ll get a job that requires help from us or that doesn’t work around her child.

I mean I love the 2 year old but looking after him 4x a week is so draining and I never signed up for this I’m not a parent for a reason.

I don’t like my sister she’s immature and makes bad decisions. Me and her are very opposite I’ve stayed in school all my life and avoided bad men and bad choices
Could you get a P/T job to give you a convient reason that you're not able to support her as much?
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Could you get a P/T job to give you a convient reason that you're not able to support her as much?

Thing is working and going uni really distracts me from my studies. I should have got a part time job during summer but obviously I start uni In a month
Original post by Anonymous
Thing is working and going uni really distracts me from my studies. I should have got a part time job during summer but obviously I start uni In a month

Surely being used as unofficial childcare is just as disruptive though? At least if you picked up a few hours of work you'd have a reasno to say "I can't do those evenings" without upsetting Mum+Sister?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending