The Student Room Group

Will sixth forms base me on my mock results?

Hey guys so im getting my mock results tomorrow and i feel like ive messed up really badly because i didnt take them as seriously since i done practice mocks last year which i done fairly well in, but i feel like i underestimated my actual mocks and now i have to apply to sixth forms using my mocks but im confused on how it works, do they just accept/reject me based on my mock results only or do they wait until i do my gcses and then see if they want to accept me or not??
For me, it was based on predicted grades which were one grade above our mock grades.
Reply 2
Original post by cxndyy
Hey guys so im getting my mock results tomorrow and i feel like ive messed up really badly because i didnt take them as seriously since i done practice mocks last year which i done fairly well in, but i feel like i underestimated my actual mocks and now i have to apply to sixth forms using my mocks but im confused on how it works, do they just accept/reject me based on my mock results only or do they wait until i do my gcses and then see if they want to accept me or not??

Usually it is, some sixth forms (most) would rely on giving you a conditional offer based on the results you submit to them (before your gcse results) in which the teacher clarifies the school you're applying to make sure the results are right. Because you have a conditional offer, all you have to do is make sure on results day your results meet their requirements and then they'll fully accept you. A few sixth forms wait until results day to take in grades and not before that. Make sure to check the sixth forms you want to apply to, and their entry requirements for the subjects you want to do. As soon as you open your paper, check if your results meet the requirements. If not, talk to your teacher and see if you can increase your grade when applying to sixth form, usually by 1.
Hope all goes well!
Reply 3
Original post by GTT21
Usually it is, some sixth forms (most) would rely on giving you a conditional offer based on the results you submit to them (before your gcse results) in which the teacher clarifies the school you're applying to make sure the results are right. Because you have a conditional offer, all you have to do is make sure on results day your results meet their requirements and then they'll fully accept you. A few sixth forms wait until results day to take in grades and not before that. Make sure to check the sixth forms you want to apply to, and their entry requirements for the subjects you want to do. As soon as you open your paper, check if your results meet the requirements. If not, talk to your teacher and see if you can increase your grade when applying to sixth form, usually by 1.
Hope all goes well!

ohhh so they basically give you a target to meet and if i get the grades they set me ill get in, this clarified a lot of things for me tysm
Reply 4
Original post by rosy_posy
For me, it was based on predicted grades which were one grade above our mock grades.

all my teachers keep saying they wont use predicted grades and its just there to guide them or something?? but they said they will use all of our end of term assessments and give us a grade by that i just hope covid doesnt alter my gcses
Original post by cxndyy
all my teachers keep saying they wont use predicted grades and its just there to guide them or something?? but they said they will use all of our end of term assessments and give us a grade by that i just hope covid doesnt alter my gcses

See what your end of term assessments grades are like (if you don't know already).
Original post by cxndyy

Schools are asked for predicted grades in their reference not mock grades ... they then may offer a place conditional on your actual GCSE grades. If you are chnaging schools then you need to check the over-subscription rules ...
Reply 7
Original post by cxndyy
ohhh so they basically give you a target to meet and if i get the grades they set me ill get in, this clarified a lot of things for me tysm

Yeah, it's usually on the schools website. But remember, it's competitive so some schools might ask for am interview or a mini-personal statement
Reply 8
Original post by GTT21
Yeah, it's usually on the schools website. But remember, it's competitive so some schools might ask for am interview or a mini-personal statement

thank you so much i feel much more confident now and will try my best
Reply 9
Original post by cxndyy
thank you so much i feel much more confident now and will try my best

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending