The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

MPhil in Economics at Cambridge 2022

Hi,

Anyone whose status have changed on the application portal? Saw that it did for a few people on the Advanced Diploma programme - just wondering if it is the same here.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They have started giving out offers for the Advanced Diploma. That is quite fast given it has only been a month or so. Does anyone know when we'll hear back? Initially I would not think at least before February but now I am not sure.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Last year some people got it mid January according to thegradcafe but not sure about this year cause they're using gathered pool instead of rolling considerations I think
I applied for Mphil Econ Research at the end of November and still no change.
Reply 4
Original post by Elias-wilson
I applied for Mphil Econ Research at the end of November and still no change.

Ah me too!! Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
I applied for the MPhil in Economics, under review since November as well.
Reply 6
Would you guys mind sharing your backgrounds?
Original post by weiherng
Would you guys mind sharing your backgrounds?

Final year BSc Economics at Bristol, 1st year grade was pass (only had pass or fail overall because of covid), second year first class 80%. Taken all econometrics and advanced micro electives in third year. Experience working in a research focused econ policy publication.
Reply 8
Final year BSc Economics at UCL, first year grades is pass and fail as well. Second year average 78%, top 7 percent in my cohort. Modules including advanced macro, micro, game theory, microeconometrics etc. Research analyst internship focused on demand estimation and consumer behaviour and teaching assistant at ucl. First class honours in every module.
Reply 9
Any changes anyone?
Any changes anyone?

Nope :frown: I think last year they started coming out around Jan 23rd so hopefully we hear something soon!
Reply 11
Please keep in mind that it may take a bit longer than usual due to covid. My understanding is that they admitted students on a rolling basis last year whereas they do it in one batch this year. As such, the offers coming out at the end of January may have been for those who applied well prior to the deadline. We may therefore have to wait a bit longer than that.

This is just a guess, though. Nevertheless, let us not get all too speculative on when we will or will not hear back. If someone has received a decision, I am sure someone will post it here or on Gradcafe. :smile:

Good luck everyone.
Original post by asdkjl213
Please keep in mind that it may take a bit longer than usual due to covid. My understanding is that they admitted students on a rolling basis last year whereas they do it in one batch this year. As such, the offers coming out at the end of January may have been for those who applied well prior to the deadline. We may therefore have to wait a bit longer than that.

This is just a guess, though. Nevertheless, let us not get all too speculative on when we will or will not hear back. If someone has received a decision, I am sure someone will post it here or on Gradcafe. :smile:

Good luck everyone.

I suppose that's fair. But its just torture, been waiting since the 1st of October :frown:.
Reply 13
I suppose that's fair. But its just torture, been waiting since the 1st of October :frown:.

I completely understand. I was a nervous wreck last week as I knew I was going to hear back from Oxford for another programme but I did not know when. Of course, I only heard back on Friday late afternoon haha. All of last week was no fun.

Unfortunately, if they do now assess the applications in one batch, I suppose you will not get a decision faster than had you submitted two months later.

All we can do is to wait. Let's hope for the best but use our time on other things than worrying (if possible! haha)
Reply 14
Hey I had my status changed to "Awaiting approval by PAO - Awaiting approval by the Postgraduate Admissions Office." Does anyone know what's gonna happen?
Reply 15
Original post by ykzhang
Hey I had my status changed to "Awaiting approval by PAO - Awaiting approval by the Postgraduate Admissions Office." Does anyone know what's gonna happen?

As I understand it, the department has recommended you for a place but is not fully confirmed yet. So good news!
Original post by ykzhang

That means your chances of getting rejected is very slim unless you faked your qualifications, so it's good news! Would you mind sharing your profile?
Reply 17
That means your chances of getting rejected is very slim unless you faked your qualifications, so it's good news! Would you mind sharing your profile?

Sure. I am a third year Mathematics and Economics student in US, specifically from one of the UC schools. My GPA is 3.9+/4.0 and my GRE score is 325. I have taken all of the core micro, macro, and econometrics classes with electives in game theory, accounting, etc. Had internship experience in management consulting and analytics:smile:
Reply 18

Thanks for the info btw! Let’s wait and see😃
Reply 19
I've also just moved to PAO since last night. Applied to MPhil Economics (not research). I'm from russel group uni with first class (75+) and a few decent relevant extracurriculars. Still inevitably feel pretty nervous hahah, don't know how often someone gets rejected from this stage.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending