The Student Room Group

Am I paying too much rent to my mum?

Im under incapacity to work benefits health benefits which are universal credit and personal independence payment and I live in a two bedroom house, I'm 22 and I recieve roughly just over a grand a month, she gets universal credit and carers allowance and she gets roughly £800 a month, I pay £500 a month
(edited 2 years ago)
How much do you pay?
£500
I'll edit it one sec
Original post by jacknot
£500

I do think it’s quite a lot as it’s over half your monthly pay but you have to weigh it up with how much you’d have to pay living in your own place. Have you tried to speak to her?
I once opened up to my sister about it and she tried to help me but my other sister then convinced me that I should be paying £500 a month and I tried talking to my mum about it but she's a very manipulative person and guilt trips me into me paying that amount, I just needed an outside opinion, I may book an appointment with my psychologist and talk to them about it to ask how I can deal with it, thank you
My mum is very manipulative and guilt trips me into paying it, I'm gonna talk to my occupational therapist about it to ask how to deal with it, thank you
Sorry the first one didn't seem like it sent, ignore the second one
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by jacknot
I once opened up to my sister about it and she tried to help me but my other sister then convinced me that I should be paying £500 a month and I tried talking to my mum about it but she's a very manipulative person and guilt trips me into me paying that amount, I just needed an outside opinion, I may book an appointment with my psychologist and talk to them about it to ask how I can deal with it, thank you

So work out your living costs, add on extra for the fact that your mum is doing you a favour and set up a direct debit to pay only that amount. Get the reasonable sister to help with the maths, and to tell your mum this is what you are doing. Factor in all costs in terms of utilities, food, anything you share like TV Licence, WiFi etc. Include your mums time, and fuel costs, if she shops for you, takes you places does your laundry, cleans the house.
Original post by jacknot
My mum is very manipulative and guilt trips me into paying it, I'm gonna talk to my occupational therapist about it to ask how to deal with it, thank you

You should think about how much money would go out to living expenses, if you rented on your own. Compare those costs to the £500 to check whether it is a fair amount. It is odd to pay your ma rent money but it happens.
Reply 10
Original post by jacknot
Im under incapacity to work benefits health benefits which are universal credit and personal independence payment and I live in a two bedroom house, I'm 22 and I recieve roughly just over a grand a month, she gets universal credit and carers allowance and she gets roughly £800 a month, I pay £500 a month

If you think it's too much then move out and pay less?
Original post by Quady
If you think it's too much then move out and pay less?

Thinking about the bigger picture, it might cost more for OP to move out!
Reply 12
Original post by ebam_uk
Thinking about the bigger picture, it might cost more for OP to move out!

If the OP thinks they are paying too much then surely not.
Original post by Quady
If the OP thinks they are paying too much then surely not.

By the way if OP can't move out, then OP is trapped unless the parents push the rent to above market rates then there is an arbitrage to move out!
Reply 14
Original post by ebam_uk
By the way if OP can't move out, then OP is trapped unless the parents push the rent to above market rates then there is an arbitrage to move out!

How is the op trapped sorry?
Reply 15
Original post by username5897855

You need to figure out what the household expenses are. Rent, council tax, water, G&E, Food. Those are the basics, next area r extras, Internet and Entertainment like Netflix. Does your mother work? How much carers benefit does she receive. Add up the total amount and that's all the money coming into your house. What's the percentage you're paying? That's your answer.
How much of that is rent and how much is your share of electricity, water, gas, internet, council tax, food...? Where do you live?

You're posting on a student site and £500 per month is less than many students will be paying for a basic room in a shared house, which probably won't include any of the above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending