The Student Room Group

Is this a good boys name?

Firstly Im far too young to have children but I was recently thinking about what I would call my child if I ever had one, I really like the name "Akiro" for a boy or "Akira" for a girl. what do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by TryingTooHard
Firstly Im far too young to have children but I was recently thinking about what I would call my child if I ever had one, I really like the name "Akiro" for a boy or "Akira" for a girl. what do you think?

Idk about Akiro for a boy (it sounds made up
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by j25_8
Idk about Akiro for a boy (it sounds made up

So it wouldn't be a good idea?
Reply 3
So it wouldn't be a good idea?

For some reason only the first line of that comment posted and the rest didn’t go through haha.

I basically said that yeah Akiro probably wouldn’t be a good idea because it’s quite easy to tell when a person’s name was made up by their parents. But then I was just wondering where you got the inspiration from as that could make a difference? If you got the inspiration from somewhere widely known then maybe people won’t interpret it that way but I’ve only heard of an ‘Akira’ in my lifetime and it was from an anime lmao
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by j25_8
For some reason only the first line of that comment posted and the rest didn’t go through haha.

I basically said that yeah Akiro probably wouldn’t be a good idea because it’s quite easy to tell when a person’s name was made up by their parents. But then I was just wondering where you got the inspiration from as that could make a difference? If you got the inspiration from somewhere widely known then maybe people won’t interpret it that way but I’ve only heard of an ‘Akira’ in my lifetime and it was from an anime lmao

Okay so its defo a bad idea lol
Akiro isn't a very good name
@Tiddlytubbies and @Lee Chekazoo agree with me
Original post by therapyfriend
Akiro isn't a very good name
@Tiddlytubbies and @Lee Chekazoo agree with me

I like the name Akira because it has a nice ring to it... Akiro for a boy sounds a bit odd but its your descion.
Reply 7
Okay so its defo a bad idea lol

Yep it is a bad idea if you ask me. I think the best names are names that have good connotations to em. They don’t have to be common but ones that are made up just make it seem like a parent is desperate for their kid to stand out you know? It also typically means you’re giving your kid a name with no meaning which isn’t particularly helpful. It sounds weird when i say it like that but the best example i can give is the name fortune. The first thing that comes to mind when you say fortune is probably gold, winning the lottery, luck - good things. If you have a son named fortune, then whenever people call his name, they’re literally hoping for (a) fortune. Names like that have good associations with them and given the choice i don’t see why you wouldn’t want your child’s name to not have good associations attached to it. You can’t exactly do that with the names you suggested but yeah that’s my reasoning
Reply 8
Akira is usually a male name anyway
Is it Japanese? It sounds Japanese. Are you Japanese?

I wouldn't use it personally - it sounds like a manga character's name.

I once met a guy called Megatron. That was strange. He wasn't lying either, he showed me his bank card to prove it.
I’m shocked people are saying akiro isn’t a cute name I wonder if I’m pronouncing it wrong or it sounds uglier in a English accent.
Original post by xobeauty
I’m shocked people are saying akiro isn’t a cute name I wonder if I’m pronouncing it wrong or it sounds uglier in a English accent.

Atleast I found somebody who likes it.
No- too strong manga and anime connotations.
Akira is a famous Japanese manga based media franchise that includes: an animated movie, comic series, video games and plans for a television series & live action feature film.
tbh akiro and akira sound people carriers made by Hyundai and that
Original post by londonmyst
No- too strong manga and anime connotations.
Akira is a famous Japanese manga based media franchise that includes: an animated movie, comic series, video games and plans for a television series & live action feature film.

Wow , I never even heard of the manga or anime . wow okay so I defo would not call my child akira then.

It's a name I not come across in my job as a midwife but at the end of the day it's totally upto you what you call your children and no one else.

The name Akira is a girl's name of Japanese origin meaning "bright, intelligent". A popular Japanese name for both sexes that's migrated to the West because of its appearance in manga and video games

The name Akiro is a boy's name of Japanese origin meaning "bright boy". Akiro is well used in Japan
Atleast I found somebody who likes it.

I do like it :smile:
I like the name Nikita for a boy. But apparently it's now a girl's name. :colonhash:
Original post by Sabertooth
I like the name Nikita for a boy. But apparently it's now a girl's name. :colonhash:

lol
lol

Not so funny. :hmpf:

Quick Reply

Latest