The Student Room Group

A level subjects decision help

I’m almost done with 10th and will go to A levels soon, and I’m really confused about what subjects I should choose, I’m interested in interior designing and I want to take arts and computer science in a levels, but I’m really confused about my 3rd subject choice, I’m stuck between psychology, sociology and physics. I originally was gonna take physics but I suck at maths so I’m not sure about that, which is the easiest out of these and which one will help me more?
Original post by Minn28
I’m almost done with 10th and will go to A levels soon, and I’m really confused about what subjects I should choose, I’m interested in interior designing and I want to take arts and computer science in a levels, but I’m really confused about my 3rd subject choice, I’m stuck between psychology, sociology and physics. I originally was gonna take physics but I suck at maths so I’m not sure about that, which is the easiest out of these and which one will help me more?

I think sociology may be deemed as being the easiest, but it is the most essay based of the three. From what I’ve heard it has longer style questions than psychology. I find that sociology is not hard in any type of way, as long as you remember the concepts they are easy to apply in exams. But, sociology can be pretty dull at times.

I can’t really speak for physics and psychology in terms of how easy they are, as I take neither of them. I would say go with whatever you think will be good at and enjoy, if you like learning about society take sociology, the mind take psychology etc
Reply 2
Original post by ShardéFaith
I think sociology may be deemed as being the easiest, but it is the most essay based of the three. From what I’ve heard it has longer style questions than psychology. I find that sociology is not hard in any type of way, as long as you remember the concepts they are easy to apply in exams. But, sociology can be pretty dull at times.

I can’t really speak for physics and psychology in terms of how easy they are, as I take neither of them. I would say go with whatever you think will be good at and enjoy, if you like learning about society take sociology, the mind take psychology etc

Thank you for your reply, I am quite interested in sociology, have u taken sociology?
Original post by Minn28
Thank you for your reply, I am quite interested in sociology, have u taken sociology?

I did sociology at both GCSE and A-level. I loved it. I found it interesting. I found that A-level was more in depth than GCSE. It was my easiest subject.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
I did sociology at both GCSE and A-level. I loved it. I found it interesting. I found that A-level was more in depth than GCSE. It was my easiest subject.

Oh okay, I might end up choosing sociology then, thank u for ur reply :smile:
Original post by Minn28

I am currently taking it as one of my A-levels, I think it can be interesting when learning about things like social constructs and childhood.

Research methods can be quite boring but the content is really easy as long as you can remember the key ideas.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Minn28

Have you looked at the specification for each and talked to students currently taking them?
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
Have you looked at the specification for each and talked to students currently taking them?

Yes I have looked at the specification and past papers, but psychology and sociology are new subjects in my school, so no one in our school’s taken that before, so my original choice was physics but I’m reconsidering that because I’m not really good at maths
Reply 8
Original post by Minn28
Yes I have looked at the specification and past papers, but psychology and sociology are new subjects in my school, so no one in our school’s taken that before, so my original choice was physics but I’m reconsidering that because I’m not really good at maths

What are you working at in maths atm, the maths in a-level physics doesn't go beyond gcse maths that much. Logs and finding the components of forces will probably the only new things you have to learn. Apart from that its just having decent algebra skills.
Reply 9
Original post by Skiwi
What are you working at in maths atm, the maths in a-level physics doesn't go beyond gcse maths that much. Logs and finding the components of forces will probably the only new things you have to learn. Apart from that its just having decent algebra skills.

Actually we have IGCSES, so I really suck at maths, but I’m not that bad at phy
Original post by Minn28
Actually we have IGCSES, so I really suck at maths, but I’m not that bad at phy

I think you are right to think Physics would be a bad idea if you’re not good at maths.
If you’re good at writing essays and like to listen or participate in class discussions I would pick Sociology.

Quick Reply

Latest