The Student Room Group

Holiday in Summer Internship

I’ve just looked and seen a few posts on this but they’re all really old and only year 12s who think they are investment bankers answered so I thought I’d make a post.

In 2020 I was meant to go to a festival in early august but it’s been cancelled 2 years in a row so I still have the ticket. I really want to go but it means I’d miss Wednesday - Friday of the penultimate week of my 8 week internship in the risk department of a BB bank.

I’m entitled to 4 days so that’s not an issue but does it look bad to use them? I think if I were a manager and an intern didn’t use their holiday I’d think they were either stupid or a loser with no life outside of work but what do I know. In all the previous posts it said it might decrease chances of converting it into a grad job but I don’t get why it would do that
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
You have days off for a reason, use them! Earlier in advance you tell your manager the better though, they might turn around and say they need you on one of those days.
Original post by ilililili
I’ve just looked and seen a few posts on this but they’re all really old and only year 12s who think they are investment bankers answered so I thought I’d make a post.

In 2020 I was meant to go to a festival in early august but it’s been cancelled 2 years in a row so I still have the ticket. I really want to go but it means I’d miss Wednesday - Friday of the penultimate week of my 8 week internship in the risk department of a BB bank.

I’m entitled to 4 days so that’s not an issue but does it look bad to use them? I think if I were a manager and an intern didn’t use their holiday I’d think they were either stupid or a loser with no life outside of work but what do I know. In all the previous posts it said it might decrease chances of converting it into a grad job but I don’t get why it would do that

Tell your recruiter the days that you want to take off upfront before the internship starts and your manager when you start.
Reply 3

How hard was it for you to get an internship?
Reply 4
Original post by h.h.

I probably applied to 8 and did the tests. Got through to the second round on 6. Got through to the final round interview in 3 but by the time I had interviews for the second 2, I’d already got an offer from the first one so I decided to cancel them and accept it because it was the one I most wanted
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
I probably applied to 8. Got through to the second round on 6. Got through to the final round in 3 but by the time I had interviews for them, I’d already got an offer from the first one so I decided to cancel them and accept it because it was the one I most wanted

I've applied to over 20 internships got rejected by all of them and don't know what to do.Do you have any advice which you could give me?
Many thanks
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by h.h.

also these were for big 4 consulting and MO banking roles. My coursemates going for MBB/tier 2 consulting or FO roles seem to be having a lot more trouble. So if you are going for these, apply for much more than 8 and have less competitive roles as back up or you’ll end up without one as many have found out
Reply 7
Original post by h.h.
My brother applied to over 20 internships and got rejected by all he is currently in his 3rd year for his masters (engineering) do know you an internship he could apply in which where he would perhaps be more likely to get a place ( he goes to imperial collage ).Him getting rejected is kind of affecting him. Any advice would be much appreciated
Many thanks

Imperial is a better uni than I go to. If he’s getting to interviews but then being rejected, maybe he just isn’t the best at interviews. If not, he might not be very good at the online tests. Imperial should be a good enough uni to give you a decent shot at anywhere so I don’t think where he is applying is the issue. If he’s applied to 20, I’d imagine he’s applied to the big four accounting firms but if not I’d say apply there because they hire so many people. If he wants to apply to engineering related stuff, sorry I have no idea
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Imperial is a better uni than I go to. If he’s getting to interviews but then being rejected, maybe he just isn’t the best at interviews. If not, he might not be very good at the online tests. Imperial should be a good enough uni to give you a decent shot at anywhere so I don’t think where he is applying is the issue. If he’s applied to 20, I’d imagine he’s applied to the big four accounting firms but if not I’d say apply there because they hire so many people. If he wants to apply to engineering related stuff, sorry I have no idea

Thank you for your response. He did apply to some of the big 4 accounting firms and got rejected do you know any company which is easier to get in or less competitive in any field.

Many thanks
Original post by h.h.
My brother applied to over 20 internships and got rejected by all he is currently in his 3rd year for his masters (engineering) do know you an internship he could apply in which where he would perhaps be more likely to get a place ( he goes to imperial collage ).Him getting rejected is kind of affecting him. Any advice would be much appreciated
Many thanks

At which stage is he getting rejected? If he has gone through 20 application cycles then he can spot a pattern as to what is going wrong. He is either failing psychometric tests, bad at video interviews, CV isn't up to scratch, not so great at assessment centres, or not great at interview panels. He can get help with these things at the careers service.

It isn't a matter of where is less competitive - companies don't necessarily *need* to fill their entire intern headcount - they need interns that will fit well.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by h.h.
Thank you for your response. He did apply to some of the big 4 accounting firms and got rejected do you know any company which is easier to get in or less competitive in any field.

Many thanks

I got dms on linked in and every company that dmed me to apply and that I did apply to offered me a phone interview. So maybe he should make a linkedin and set it to open to internship in a variety of fields and see if he gets any dms. Also search this site for better advice. I don’t want you to think I’m some employers wet dream just because I got one. Idrk what I’m doing either
Reply 11
I got dms on linked in and every company that dmed me to apply and that I did apply to offered me a phone interview. So maybe he should make a linkedin and set it to open to internship in a variety of fields and see if he gets any dms. Also search this site for better advice. I don’t want you to think I’m some employers wet dream just because I got one. Idrk what I’m doing either

Thank you for the responses

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending