The Student Room Group

Living at home during University

Hello,

I've recently moved to University and only just realised how much time is spent at home during the term holidays.

My family have also moved out of my hometown where all my friends are to a new town and as a result, when I go back over the holidays I'll likely stay with them. However, I know no one in that area and it's quite far from my hometown.

I'd ideally like to go back and spend the vast majority of my holidays with my friends. However, this might be too expensive accommodation-wise.

One potential alternative I thought up was to use some inheritance money I have from a bereavement to buy a small flat in my hometown; it would be within my means to do so, however I wouldn't want this to sit unoccupied for months of the year so I was thinking I could let it out to someone whilst I'm away who I would then come and stay with other the holidays.

This way I would be doing something with the money rather than have it sitting and gathering inflation and it could save me on the cost as hopefully letting it out would help cover a significant portion of the cost.

Is this something that anyone does? Is there a cheaper less risky solution? Is anyone in a similar situation?

Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

I've recently moved to University and only just realised how much time is spent at home during the term holidays.

My family have also moved out of my hometown where all my friends are to a new town and as a result, when I go back over the holidays I'll likely stay with them. However, I know no one in that area and it's quite far from my hometown.

I'd ideally like to go back and spend the vast majority of my holidays with my friends. However, this might be too expensive accommodation-wise.

One potential alternative I thought up was to use some inheritance money I have from a bereavement to buy a small flat in my hometown; it would be within my means to do so, however I wouldn't want this to sit unoccupied for months of the year so I was thinking I could let it out to someone whilst I'm away who I would then come and stay with other the holidays.

This way I would be doing something with the money rather than have it sitting and gathering inflation and it could save me on the cost as hopefully letting it out would help cover a significant portion of the cost.

Is this something that anyone does? Is there a cheaper less risky solution? Is anyone in a similar situation?

Thanks!

Hi
Summer holidays can be quite long. Often students use the time to work/ get an internship/ travel/see family and friends. One thing to note is that although you are off uni, your friends may not be - they may be working or busy themselves and so you wouldn't want to look at being in your hometown is they will be away or always busy - it may be more beneficial to make plans to see them and go to events or catch-up or go on holiday together.
Have you considered what you want to do in the holidays? are you heading away anywhere or working?
If you do want to spend time in your hometown with friends it might be worth asking if any have a spare room/bed/couch you could stay with them for a bit instead of looking at getting your own place.
Buying/renting property is certainly a big decision and one which needs to be carefully considered and done for the right reasons. I would encourage speaking to family if you feel able and to others whose opinions you care about. Ultimately it is a big financial decision and the process of buying/owning/letting it out can be burdensome on time and money and stress so it is worth considering if now is the right time.

Hope some of that helps for your big considerations.
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Rental income will be counted towards your household income for student finance.

Just speak to your friends in your hometown and see if you can stay with them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending