The Student Room Group

EPQ help

How international law was implemented during the debacle between ukraine and russia?
How should I tackle or answer such questions for EPQ to get good marks. If. Anyone had done this question or have any ideas what I can write please help me.
Original post by Lovedegu123
How international law was implemented during the debacle between ukraine and russia?
How should I tackle or answer such questions for EPQ to get good marks. If. Anyone had done this question or have any ideas what I can write please help me.

We were told not to pick topics too current, as the facts are constantly changing, and there probably has not been enough research conducted to have a proper structure. If you did this topic, you would have to pick a cut-off date, and discard any evidence or sources published after tat point to avoid confusion or any contradictions. I'm not going to lie, having done an EPQ, this would be an extremely dificult topic to write about and get good marks in. You could do an EPQ on international law however, and potentially use the current conflict as a short case study, but that would all be solely dependant on the sources that currently exist regarding this topic.
Reply 2
hey again lol - i agree with the person above - it's best to make your life easier and choose something that has an easily deducible answer!

i came up with my topic, which was about whether anti-terrorism laws conflict with human rights, by finding an interesting case.

i've found a list of key international law cases. maybe go through these, see which interest you, and see what debates/principles/questions surround them?

1. The Charming Betsy and The Paquete Habana (1804 and 1900)
2. Mavrommatis Palestine Concessions (Greece v Great Britain) (1924–27)
3. Factory at Chorzów (Germany v Poland) (1927–28)
4. SS Lotus (France v Turkey) (1927)
5. Island of Palmas (Netherlands v United States of America) (1928)
6. Legal Status of Eastern Greenland (Denmark v Norway) (1933)
7. Trail Smelter (United States of America/Canada) (1938 and 1941)
8. Trial Before the International Military Tribunal at Nuremberg (1945–46)
9. The Early United Nations Advisory Opinions (1948–62)
10. The South West Africa Cases (1949 to 1971)
11. North Sea Continental Shelf (Federal Republic of Germany v Netherlands; Federal Republic of Germany v Denmark) (1969)
12. Barcelona Traction, Light and Power Company (Belgium v Spain) (1970)
13. Tyrer v United Kingdom (1978)
14. Military and Paramilitary Activities in and against Nicaragua (Nicaragua v United States of America) (1984 to 1986)
15. Tadic v Prosecutor (1995)
16. The Nuclear Weapons Advisory Opinions (1996)
17. Gabcíkovo-Nagymaros Project (Hungary/Slovakia) (1997)
18. Vivendi v Argentina (1997–2010)
19. US-Import Prohibition of Certain Shrimp and Shrimp Products (1998)
20. LaGrand (Germany v United States of America) (2001)
21. Legal Consequences of the Construction of a Wall in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (2004)
22. Jurisdictional Immunities of the State (Germany v Italy;Greece intervening) (2012)
Reply 3
Original post by dellam8
hey again lol - i agree with the person above - it's best to make your life easier and choose something that has an easily deducible answer!

i came up with my topic, which was about whether anti-terrorism laws conflict with human rights, by finding an interesting case.

i've found a list of key international law cases. maybe go through these, see which interest you, and see what debates/principles/questions surround them?

1. The Charming Betsy and The Paquete Habana (1804 and 1900)
2. Mavrommatis Palestine Concessions (Greece v Great Britain) (1924–27)
3. Factory at Chorzów (Germany v Poland) (1927–28)
4. SS Lotus (France v Turkey) (1927)
5. Island of Palmas (Netherlands v United States of America) (1928)
6. Legal Status of Eastern Greenland (Denmark v Norway) (1933)
7. Trail Smelter (United States of America/Canada) (1938 and 1941)
8. Trial Before the International Military Tribunal at Nuremberg (1945–46)
9. The Early United Nations Advisory Opinions (1948–62)
10. The South West Africa Cases (1949 to 1971)
11. North Sea Continental Shelf (Federal Republic of Germany v Netherlands; Federal Republic of Germany v Denmark) (1969)
12. Barcelona Traction, Light and Power Company (Belgium v Spain) (1970)
13. Tyrer v United Kingdom (1978)
14. Military and Paramilitary Activities in and against Nicaragua (Nicaragua v United States of America) (1984 to 1986)
15. Tadic v Prosecutor (1995)
16. The Nuclear Weapons Advisory Opinions (1996)
17. Gabcíkovo-Nagymaros Project (Hungary/Slovakia) (1997)
18. Vivendi v Argentina (1997–2010)
19. US-Import Prohibition of Certain Shrimp and Shrimp Products (1998)
20. LaGrand (Germany v United States of America) (2001)
21. Legal Consequences of the Construction of a Wall in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (2004)
22. Jurisdictional Immunities of the State (Germany v Italy;Greece intervening) (2012)

Thank you so much
Reply 4
Original post by Bubblegum-44
We were told not to pick topics too current, as the facts are constantly changing, and there probably has not been enough research conducted to have a proper structure. If you did this topic, you would have to pick a cut-off date, and discard any evidence or sources published after tat point to avoid confusion or any contradictions. I'm not going to lie, having done an EPQ, this would be an extremely dificult topic to write about and get good marks in. You could do an EPQ on international law however, and potentially use the current conflict as a short case study, but that would all be solely dependant on the sources that currently exist regarding this topic.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending