The Student Room Group

What A level courses are "good" for studying economics at uni?

My current choices I am thinking about taking is maths, economics, psychology and spanish. I'm up for any info on any other subjects that may be useful towards my course of interest, and comments on how suitable people find my choices.
I think the ones you've chosen are pretty good, but I must warn you that psychology is rather difficult and meaty in terms of its content and the mark schemes for questions are particularly subjective and hard to go by. I'm doing okay in psychology because don't get me wrong, it's not rocket science, but only pick it if you think it's relevant and if you can handle it.
they're fine, might want to take further maths instead of psychology or Spanish depending on how good of a uni you want to go to
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
yh take further maths instead of psychology
why do you want to study economics out of interest?
Maths and Further Maths.
And don't take 4 A levels.
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
Maths and Further Maths.
And don't take 4 A levels.

did you take 4?
Original post by zakramsey
I think the ones you've chosen are pretty good, but I must warn you that psychology is rather difficult and meaty in terms of its content and the mark schemes for questions are particularly subjective and hard to go by. I'm doing okay in psychology because don't get me wrong, it's not rocket science, but only pick it if you think it's relevant and if you can handle it.

Thanks for the advice! I specifically picked psychology because I have an interest in marketing. I wil research the course when I have the time to see if it suits me
Original post by juicygcse
they're fine, might want to take further maths instead of psychology or Spanish depending on how good of a uni you want to go to

Do you think further maths will help me in the economics course or is it just a subject taken to get into a good uni?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by rebelw
yh take further maths instead of psychology
why do you want to study economics out of interest?

This is a recent decision I have made so I need to do more research in the course tbh. But mainly because I want to understand the world around me and I want to do marketing as a career.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by tahildacanter
Do you think further maths will help me in the economics course or is it just a subject taken to get into a good uni?

both - basically impossible to get into somewhere like LSE without further maths, and economics at a degree level is heavily maths based, so it would be helpful to get as confident with complex maths as quickly as possible
Maths is the only normally required subject, and Further Maths would be strongly recommended in general and is practically required for LSE single honours and likely Warwick and Cambridge (maybe also UCL).

Both will also be useful in the course, albeit not all topics from each will be used throughout, but there will be topics from both that are used extensively (differential calculus, matrices, and infinite series I expect).

Nothing else is really preferred, or even that useful. Doing A-level Economics might provide you with a bit of familiarity with the topics but the style of how they're dealt with at degree level I gather is very different (much more mathematical and less essay based/qualitative).
Original post by juicygcse
both - basically impossible to get into somewhere like LSE without further maths, and economics at a degree level is heavily maths based, so it would be helpful to get as confident with complex maths as quickly as possible

I see, thank you
Reply 12
Original post by tahildacanter
My current choices I am thinking about taking is maths, economics, psychology and spanish. I'm up for any info on any other subjects that may be useful towards my course of interest, and comments on how suitable people find my choices.

Necessary: Maths (and ideally further maths aswell)

Complementary: Geography, Economics, Physics, Business Studies, Statistics

Quick Reply

Latest