The Student Room Group

engineering vs actuarial science, which one has a better base salary in London?

post removed
Actuarial science as a degree or working as an actuary?
I'll bet the average actuary earns more than the average engineer but its not really a straightforward comparison. Becoming an actuary involves years of very tough exams - a large proportion will never pass them. Its very hard to get in - most trainees with have top degrees in maths/ physics/ engineering type courses.

Where would you be looking to go to university and for what course if considering the actuarial route? Will you get the sort of A level grades necessary to be competitive?
If you can get into NTU you are strong enough to succeed in lots of fields!
Your question was already answered
Mech Eng - would prob be more interesting
Being an actuary is very tough. The exams. The work is not that interesting although it varies depending on sector you are in and consultancy / insurer etc. The pay is decent when you qualify but exams are very tough and takes many years to get there. In fact giving up your 20s to pass exams when should be enjoying life.

Mech Eng you can work on lots of sectors and at the cutting edge of technology. Pay might not be as good as an actuary.
Sure about which bit?
On average - yes - actuaries are notable for having high salaries.
You are just a kid.
You be bored out of your head in actuary role most likely.
Original post by ajj2000
I'll bet the average actuary earns more than the average engineer but its not really a straightforward comparison. Becoming an actuary involves years of very tough exams - a large proportion will never pass them. Its very hard to get in - most trainees with have top degrees in maths/ physics/ engineering type courses.

Where would you be looking to go to university and for what course if considering the actuarial route? Will you get the sort of A level grades necessary to be competitive?

I agree with a lot is said here both degrees are great with fantastic prospects. Both make a great salary as well as they are seen as very good professional degrees which opens loads of doors. I personally choice Actuarial over engineering purely because I was better at pure maths than the other things required for you to be better at to excel in Engineering. As much as I enjoy my degree I really would have loved to do mechanical engineering to work in F1.

There is a lot of work involved with Actuarial within the degree as well as the exams involved after university as they are tough and take a long time to finish. However it is very rewarding financially especially the more you complete.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending