The Student Room Group

Are there any one year art related course for people with no previous qualifications?

Just have gcse Art, and age range 18-25, preferably in London. Art as in fine art/painting
Reply 1
Original post by SpringBlue
Just have gcse Art, and age range 18-25, preferably in London. Art as in fine art/painting

Do you have an a-levels/btecs? Even if they aren't art related.
If you do, you could look into an art foundation course at a University. These then give you the option to go onto an undergraduate degree if you wanted to. It's worth looking into! You just need a good portfolio for you art work and grades C or higher to at least get onto a couple.

(At least, that's what my tutor told us when we were looking at them.)
Reply 2
Original post by Sav055
Do you have an a-levels/btecs? Even if they aren't art related.
If you do, you could look into an art foundation course at a University. These then give you the option to go onto an undergraduate degree if you wanted to. It's worth looking into! You just need a good portfolio for you art work and grades C or higher to at least get onto a couple.

(At least, that's what my tutor told us when we were looking at them.)

Oh unfortunately I haven’t done A level art, I’ve only done GCSE Art and got a 9 on it
Reply 3
Oh unfortunately I haven’t done A level art, I’ve only done GCSE Art and got a 9 on it

What I mean is that you don't need to have A level art :smile: You just need to some form of a level, even if it's sciences, math,ect. Do you have any A-level qualifications at all? It's good that you got that grade on you GCSE!
Art and Design Foundation Diplomas - available at most local FE Colleges and dont need previous art qualifications - https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/what-to-study/art-and-design-foundation-diplomas
Reply 5
Original post by Sav055
What I mean is that you don't need to have A level art :smile: You just need to some form of a level, even if it's sciences, math,ect. Do you have any A-level qualifications at all? It's good that you got that grade on you GCSE!

Oh Yh I’ve done A levels
https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/course-search

Or a FAD. Without a creative A level then you will often be limited to FE colleges for a FAD but there’s some excellent FE colleges offering FAD in London.

Do you have any specific creative interests/media? Or a goal after the course?

For example if you can afford the fees then city and guilds art school is an excellent choice if you are interested in fine art and/or sculpture. The Royal Drawing School is great if you’re looking to go towards a drawing/print/illustration route and Richmond college is a good choice if you’re interested in animation/VFX.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Oh Yh I’ve done A levels

If you've done A-levels, even with them not being art related, you might have more options than you think. There are a few you could look at and the below links (given to me) explains the differences between them all. Don't give up hope because you don't have art A-levels :smile: People I'll be on a course with in a September did a foundation YEAR as these are "designed for students with the wrong A level subjects" (none of them had art a-levels). Obviously, you'll have to think about the fees as well.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5017684
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sav055
If you've done A-levels, even with them not being art related, you can still get onto some great foundation degrees (though not all of them)! They also let you attend University after if you wished to do so. I'll link some. There is some more information. Some of the people I'm entering University with have foundation degrees in art but no prior creative a-levels :smile: It's just about finding somewhere to fit the qualifications you do have.

Use what Uni to put in you grades, location ect and it will show you what's offered for you.

https://insights.gostudent.org/en/best-arts-foundation-courses-in-the-uk#What--is-an-arts-foundation-course
https://www.whatuni.com/foundation-degree-courses/search?subject=art

A foundation degree isn’t an art and design foundation diploma. They’re very different courses.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
A foundation degree isn’t an art and design foundation diploma. They’re very different courses.

My college always told me that they were the same thing but the diploma is for those who already have an art a-levels. So, if they were wrong, I apologise. I'm pretty sure my friends did an art foundation degree (not the diploma) so I only know about that when writing my above, I'm just repeating what my friends and college said :smile:
Original post by Sav055
My college always told me that they were the same thing but the diploma is for those who already have an art a-levels. So, if they were wrong, I apologise. I'm pretty sure my friends did an art foundation degree (not the diploma) so I only know about that when writing my above, I'm just repeating what my friends and college said :smile:

They’re completely different, length, level, funding and qualification wise.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5017684 Explains :smile:
Original post by PQ
They’re completely different, length, level, funding and qualification wise.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5017684 Explains :smile:

Thank you, I'll edit this into my original post.

Hi @SpringBlue!

What you're describing sounds almost exactly like an Art Foundation diploma. An Art Foundation diploma is a one-year course that is meant to bridge the gap between Level 3 (BTEC and A-Level) study and Higher Education. The requirements are usually a certain amount of UCAS Points, and a passing grade in Maths and English Language at GCSE level. It's less common, but some universities will expect an Art or Design-related course at Level 3, or a portfolio of work however, so always check the website of the place you are applying to! Art Foundation diplomas are also a great way to progress towards Undergraduate Degrees in Art and Design subjects. In my humble opinion, they're the best way to gain the skills and qualifications you need to get into a creative Undergraduate course!

Hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, just let me know! :biggrin:
Rohnak
Escape Studios Student Rep
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Escape Studios Rep
Hi @SpringBlue!

What you're describing sounds almost exactly like an Art Foundation degree. An Art Foundation degree is a one-year course that is meant to bridge the gap between Level 3 (BTEC and A-Level) study and Higher Education. The requirements are usually a certain amount of UCAS Points, and a passing grade in Maths and English Language at GCSE level. It's less common, but some universities will expect an Art or Design-related course at Level 3, or a portfolio of work however, so always check the website of the place you are applying to! Art Foundation degrees are also a great way to progress towards Undergraduate Degrees in Art and Design subjects. In my humble opinion, they're the best way to gain the skills and qualifications you need to get into a creative Undergraduate course!

Hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, just let me know! :biggrin:
Rohnak

A Foundation DEGREE is a 2 year course equivalent to a DipHE or HND. https://www.prospects.ac.uk/applying-for-university/choosing-a-course/foundation-degrees

What you’ve described here is a Foundation DIPLOMA. That’s a completely different qualification in terms of length, level and funding.
(edited 1 year ago)

Hi there,

My name is Eleanor! I thought I would let you know that art foundation courses exist, they're only a year long and support your journey afterwards such as Uni, and they're also there to help you get into Universities easier (at Coventry, if you do a foundation degree with us, you will most likely get an automatic entry into our University as long as you pass) You can take a foundation diploma in arts at almost every university or college; including Coventry University!
I did a foundation degree too in Art & Design, and was able to explore all various art trades, such as woodwork, fine art, graphics and so on! It's great to explore and try out different mediums. Depending where you take your foundation course, they may also help you prepare portfolios and preparing/aiding you into the direction you want to go to- for example, help your journey to Uni or an apprenticeship or even work.

Overall though, to become an artist who you don't really need many qualifications as long as you have a strong portfolio which shows off your incredible skill! As long as you can show off your passion of the subject and have a strong understanding of your equipment and art style, you will be able to still get into higher education with barely any qualifications in art subjects!

Hope this helps.
El
Original post by PQ
A Foundation DEGREE is a 2 year course equivalent to a DipHE or HND. https://www.prospects.ac.uk/applying-for-university/choosing-a-course/foundation-degrees

What you’ve described here is a Foundation DIPLOMA. That’s a completely different qualification in terms of length, level and funding.

Hi, @PQ

Thank you so much for the correction! Apologies for the small slip in the terminology used. It's been corrected now!

Best wishes,
Rohnak
If you’re still looking, The Royal Drawing School has a school leavers course (located in Shoreditch and based around drawing but also painting/printing)
A further point is that the foundation YEAR of a 'BA (Hons) with Foundation Year' 4 year course is that it may be less generalist than the stand alone Access or Foundation course. Depends what you are looking to gain from it.

Quick Reply

Latest