Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    Anyone planning to buy their mentor/children anything before they leave?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've got my mentor a Twinings gift set because she loves fruit tea. She's been a brilliant mentor and even drops me off at home every day because I live near her. Got the department a tub of quality Street as well. I might take some sweets in for my form

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    A job has come up at my 'home' school (I'm doing schools direct nonsalaried)! It came up on Thursday and closes on Monday :/ I'm going to apply for it but I'm a bit worried because they have seen my terrible lessons and know I aren't a shiny amazing teacher yet!
    Apply apply apply! You've nothing to lose, and plus they know your a trainee so this time next year you'll be much improved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Need some advice here please.

My first placement has been at a faith school and that's ending next week. The list for our second placement is up and I've been placed at another faith school. My question and concern is, is it looked down upon to do all your placements at a faith school? My big concern is what prospective employers will think.

If it is a problem I will have to inform my uni before next week. I'm also gonna speak to my current mentor and see what he says.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree - I can't see it being an issue. No-one chooses their placements, so schools won't read anything in to it. It might be worth having a little think about what you would say if you are asked how it helped or how you would use it to teach in a non-faith school in interview - you could ask your uni mentor for advice with this too (or a teacher in your placement school). I was in two large city primaries for example and that didn't stop me getting an interview for a small village/town infant. Even though there may be similarities every school is different and it's what you take from it that matters.

Having said that, if you personally are not very comfortable with it (but perhaps let it go for your first placement) then I would talk to your mentor. Whether you feel you can work in a faith school is a very personal decision and I think doing a placement there should be likewise.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Go for it. What have you got to lose??

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by pgce2013)
    Shelly, take the opportunity - you can say atleast you applied and will have no regrets .....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh I'm definitely going to apply, just a bit worried about it. Also not sure what to write as everything I've done is at their school! Suppose that could work in my favour though.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone planning to buy their mentor/children anything before they leave?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll be buying my mentor and the host teacher I've taken over the class of so far something. Think I'll get a little something for each of the English team too, to thank them for putting up with me!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else looking forward to next weekend? Or July even?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTVicky)
    You bet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTVicky)
    Craving it! Not that I'm not enjoying school but I'm a little tired. Next Monday will be the first time I can wake up at any time since early October.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahh no more Uni twice a week. Just school from this point onwards (with the odd week back at Uni for this and that).

Overall I found subject session days half helpful and half pointless, Initial Professional Development days were largely pointless - I understand a lot of what we cover is important but surely they could have been covered in the school training sessions (a lot of which is anyway).

Looking forward to being in school full time after Christmas but also going to miss seeing my fellow English students and seeing how things are going. I'm sure I'll see certain people occasionally but I doubt we'll all be together very much again.

Got tomorrow and Thursday in school but it's a write off week and I'm not teaching any lessons so will just be a case of joining in with festivities etc.

Don't have too much work over the holidays so going to mostly relax and recharge my batteries ready for the final stretch of placement 1 and then the nervous/exciting moment of starting placement 2 at the beginning of March.

ReputationRep:
    I need to fastforward three days. My mentor is filling in my summative profile this week and I'll be graded. It is almost certainly going to be requires improvement, which is better than inadequate I suppose! My last observation with her tomorrow and I might have another depending on how my host teacher feels. I feel like I need to just sleep forever and forget about school for a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    I need to fastforward three days. My mentor is filling in my summative profile this week and I'll be graded. It is almost certainly going to be requires improvement, which is better than inadequate I suppose! My last observation with her tomorrow and I might have another depending on how my host teacher feels. I feel like I need to just sleep forever and forget about school for a bit.
    Good luck with the observations! Remember they are snapshots. You don't have to be perfect all the time.

Also sleep is goooooood. I am going to sleep so much this weekend.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Two more days to go! Bought my mentor a gift and the kids chocolate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello Christmas break!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    Hello Christmas break!
    I just have tomorrow (form and Christmas assembly then a department feast) haha but then I'm done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    I just have tomorrow (form and Christmas assembly then a department feast) haha but then I'm done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Done at my first school tomorrow as well. Gonna miss it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Done at my first school tomorrow as well. Gonna miss it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Me too, pretty gutted that we have to move on

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah, last day of term. A quiz, a DVD, a Year 8 assembly, and I'm done. On a train home by 12:45, sipping a glass of single malt with my feet up by 2PM. Life is good.

I'll try not to think of all the lessons I need to plan between now and the 6th. The single malt helps with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    Me too, pretty gutted that we have to move on

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just closed the door behind me for the last time. Hugged my mentor and the other Year 5 teacher, who's been an additional great support. Told them that I'd like to visit again in the spring term.

It's hard to imagine I'll enjoy it as much on my second placement but you never know. Only problem with this school was that we did 9 weeks on the trot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Starting to worry. Feeling a bit low.

ReputationRep:
    Strange how different courses work - people talking about finishing their first placement today - I still have 5 weeks left when I go back, but I'm secondary so maybe it's different?

Head of Department said there may be a job going but A) it's likely to be only part time and B) I wouldn't really like to work there anyway. The atmosphere is a bit toxic at times, the standards are quite low and it's in a difficult area, plus it's too big for me, I'd prefer a smaller more community feel style school like I went to when I was a pupil.

I've enjoyed my time so far there and the staff are a laugh, mentor is fine. Just couldn't see myself working there.

Will have to politely decline if it gets mentioned that there's an application process - will be awkward but have to do what is best for me right?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.