Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ESPORTIVA LUTA)
    oh yeah the paris terrorists and charlie hebdo terrorists only attacked france because of how readily available guns are there.................OH WAIT

liberal logic loses again
    You completely and utterly missed my point :rolleyes:

If guns are readily available, people who would otherwise not risk going to the underground black market for guns, would be able to commit these mass shootings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    You are probably going to be tracked by GCHQ now, enjoy.

I am in two minds as to report you myself, just in case they are not.
    Do it, you've got nothing to lose.

Minimum is he'll get tracked down, arrested and questioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)
    How many Iraqis killed by US, French, British governments? How many Libyans, Afghanis.....get the drift

How many US army personnel killed Bhuddists? Hindus? None so they have no need to kill or attack in the west. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Still that doesn't give anyone any right go on a killing spree and kill other innocent people. Or are you suggesting that if particular religion psychopath kills a gay person, that all gay people kill everyone in revenge? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttimeigetvpn)
    You completely and utterly missed my point :rolleyes:

If guns are readily available, people who would otherwise not risk going to the underground black market for guns, would be able to commit these mass shootings.
    You just love making stuff up

Why are you trying to deflect the attention away from islamic terrorism and move it towards gun control?

If you are willing to MURDER HUGE AMOUNTS OF PEOPLE I honestly don't think you would care whether guns are illegal or not.

"Oh guns are illegal, better not carry out that terrorist attack"

So you're telling me these people are willing to take huge risks by murdering huge amounts of people, but are not willing to go underground and find illegal firearms?

Liberal logic fails yet again!

ReputationRep:

Why are you trying to deflect the attention away from islamic terrorism and move it towards gun control?

If you are willing to MURDER HUGE AMOUNTS OF PEOPLE I honestly don't think you would care whether guns are illegal or not.

So you're telling me these people are willing to take huge risks by murdering huge amounts of people, but are not willing to go underground and find illegal firearms?

It's what they do, they will find any excuse / change of topic, all part of their "darn, we are in the wrong here, lets talk about something else" tactic.

ReputationRep:
    Now I'm not saying that it's America's fault, but the fact that guns are just so readily available makes it so easy for mentally disturbed people such as this to carry out such devastating acts of violence.

My thoughts are with the families.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romanoff)
    Now I'm not saying that it's America's fault, but the fact that guns are just so readily available makes it so easy for mentally disturbed people such as this to carry out such devastating acts of violence.

My thoughts are with the families.
    There is no reason to suggest that he was mentally disturbed, just very devout in his beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viddy9)
    A terrible attack on the gay community.

These kinds of hate crimes and terrorist attacks aren't going to stop anytime soon, but we can minimise the risk of them occurring. Firstly, the United States needs stricter gun control laws: people on the terrorism watchlist aren't barred from having guns, which is madness (although that wouldn't have stopped the terror attack at the black church in Charleston from occurring, nor the San Bernardino attack, because the suspects weren't on the watchlist). Ideally, guns would be completely banned in the United States, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Secondly, we should recognise that all ideologies and beliefs can lead people to do terrible things. Islam has its extremists, just as right-wing, anti-government ideologies have their extremists; indeed, domestic terrorism by right-wing anti-government extremists is as big a threat, if not a bigger threat, than jihadi terrorism.

Third, we should identify how best to combat jihadi terrorism. Jihadists have been able to amplify their abhorrent ideologies in ways that, say, Buddhist or Hindu extremists (yes, they exist) haven't, by taking advantage of sociopolitical strife in the Middle East. Dictators in the Middle East have continued to anger and oppress people for decades, largely supported by the West, and our own interventions in the Middle East have demonstrably, as intelligence experts have said, contributed to a rise in terrorism in the Middle East.

Robert Pape, a prominent political scientist at the University of Chicago, analysed every known case of suicide terrorism between 1980 and 2003, concluding: “there is little connection between suicide terrorism and Islamic fundamentalism, or any one of the world's religions... Rather, what nearly all suicide terrorist attacks have in common is a specific secular and strategic goal: to compel modern democracies to withdraw military forces from territory that the terrorists consider to be their homeland”.

He later expanded on this work by looking at all of the suicide terrorist attacks between 2004 and 2009. He found that “overall, foreign military occupation accounts for 98.5% -- and the deployment of American combat forces for 92% -- of all the 1,833 suicide terrorist attacks around the world in the past six years.” Tellingly, between 1980 and 2003, less than 15% of suicide terrorist attacks were aimed at the United States and its interests; between 2004 and 2009, after the invasion and occupation of Iraq and the United States' continued presence in Afghanistan, 92% of suicide terrorist attacks were aimed at the United States.

And, once extremists in the Middle East have taken advantage of these situations, they can go global, and try to radicalise young, disenfranchised people who seek a stable identity, as they have done with many people who have travelled to Syria. Richard Barrett, former director of global counter-terrorism operations for MI6, writes: “Isis projects a strong identity and sense of purpose and it appeals in particular to people who lack both; it offers them the opportunity to be part of something new, regardless of their gender or abilities."

Fourth, we should not be afraid to criticise conservative interpretations of religions, and Islam in particular is a very conservative religion at the moment. We need to work with liberal and reformist Muslims to discount and discredit not only the views of extremists, but also to promote more socially liberal views too within the Islamic community, just as the main Christian churches have reformed extensively their views on so many issues. The latter in particular will be difficult, given that very socially conservative views continue to exist in Christianity (extensively in the United States) and Judaism.
    Well said m8. :yy:

Aside from gun reforms, would also add mandatory security checks at mass social gatherings given the current developments at Iraq and Syria

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-ame...urds-tv-2016-3

ReputationRep:
    A lot of hateful tweets coming out on Twitter. http://www.gspellchecker.com/2016/06...ing-in-arabic/ May they all be prosecuted for their offensive filth!

ReputationRep:
    There is no reason to suggest that he was mentally disturbed, just very devout in his beliefs.
    “A few months after we were married I saw his instability, I saw his bipolar, and he would get mad out of nowhere, and that’s when I started worrying about my safety.Then after a few months he started abusing me physically, very often, and not allowing me to speak to my family, and keeping me hostage from them,” she said.
    She saw in him signs of “emotional instability, sickness … He was mentally unstable and mentally ill [and] obviously disturbed, deeply, and traumatised”.

- His EX wife.

Even if there was no confirmation of his mental instability, it is so obvious that someone who goes out to take over 50 lives and injure many more is not normal, no matter how devout their belief.

ReputationRep:

Imagine you're an angry person who wants to kill as many people as you can.

In the UK, you have to go deep underground and into the black market / deep web to find firearms.

In the USA, as long as you have no violent crime history, mental illness or terrorist affiliation - you can literally walk into a shop and buy one.

I think it should be implicit that the open gun laws in the USA allowed this person to, in the first place, consider going on a mass shooting.

ReputationRep:
    The picture just before Orlando.

Land of the free, home of the brave, zone of regular mass murder using weapons purchased in shops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romanoff)
    “A few months after we were married I saw his instability, I saw his bipolar, and he would get mad out of nowhere, and that’s when I started worrying about my safety.Then after a few months he started abusing me physically, very often, and not allowing me to speak to my family, and keeping me hostage from them,” she said.
    She saw in him signs of “emotional instability, sickness … He was mentally unstable and mentally ill [and] obviously disturbed, deeply, and traumatised”.

- His EX wife.

Even if there was no confirmation of his mental instability, it is so obvious that someone who goes out to take over 50 lives and injure many more is not normal, no matter how devout their belief.
    You don't have to batty to kill 50 people... just look at the army.

ReputationRep:
    It's disgusting how the Right are trying to minimise the fact that this was a disgusting hate crime committed against the LGBT community. Owen Jones, rightly, walked off the set of Sky News.

ReputationRep:
    "More will emerge no doubt, but at this stage it's difficult not to join the dots and wonder if Trump's racist and homophobic campaigning in Florida has opened a space in the minds of far right wing lunatics to think that this type of murderous attack on gay people is somehow justifiable."
    Rekt :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    The picture just before Orlando.

Land of the free, home of the brave, zone of regular mass murder using weapons purchased in shops.

ReputationRep:
    is everyone really going to focus on radical islam when on the same day a white man was arrested trying to get to a pride march with weapons too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhiteMan16)
    The average gun-toting middle aged civilian in the US is a crack shot in high stress combat situations then? We had better draft some into the army, they are clearly needed.

ReputationRep:
    It's disgusting how the Right are trying to minimise the fact that this was a disgusting hate crime committed against the LGBT community. Owen Jones, rightly, walked off the set of Sky News.

It's actually quite sinister how the Sky hack tries to twist it away from being an obvious homophobic attack to "an attack on people in general". I wonder if orders have been received from Rupe in his New York bunker instructing all the minions that this is not to be put across as an attack on gay people.

ReputationRep:

I don't understand why did get so uptight?

Weren't the present, the woman and him all agreeing it was a callous homophobic and terrorist attack?

Also how is this 'the Right', what's 'Right' about Sky?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.