Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    One born every minute is great. Highlight was watching my housemate react to a woman screaming during labour (she was the medical student on labour ward that day). I was hoping to make my big break and become a tv doctor through the show but I did O+G in pompey instead. My best friend had her little girl there though, lots of nice memories.

In other news, I am relieved that I know what I want to do with my life. How does one go about opening a cake shop?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Sensible. :cool:
    I might do that... so far mostly involves:

Spoiler:
    Show

- Put a prophylactic cannula in. Probably no evidence base for this but as a student seeing faff at a should-have-been-a-bit-more-crash GA Section and stillbirth makes me paranoid on this one.

- Give me a good midwife.

- If I want the anaesthetist get me the damn anaesthetist.

- If baby wants someone with more invasive skills then get them.
    - Likewise only your finest suturers if required, please.

Shouldn't be more than a page - have I missed anything? Ah yes, the whale/classical music... etc.

My next niece/nephew is planned as a home birth (G2 P1 - also home birth!) - I am far too paranoid.
    My fiancé was born in the bath at home, though more by accident than pre-planned! I agree though, I'd never EVER opt to do it myself - firstly it's just dangerous and secondly I want someone else to have to clean up the mess afterwards. None of those hippy birth centres either for me; I have no idea if I'll need an epidural or not and I'd rather not have to wait ages for a labour ward bed to become available if I DO decide I want one, aside again from the whole dangerous thing. I pretty much agree with your plan; not sure it's worth me writing it down. And not something to worry about for a while yet!

Sarky - I don't know, but let me know when you do it and I'll come and buy stuff...

ReputationRep:
    Is home-birthing done on the NHS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Is home-birthing done on the NHS?
    Can be, yes.

If you're in the right area/get on a home-birthing midwife's caseload before it fills up etc.

ReputationRep:
    Phew, busy few days for the girlfriends 21st, I swear I've been everywhere in the South-West in the space of 24 hours - including Bristol Zoo (amazing!).

Back to the Neuro grind it is.

ReputationRep:
    Today's exam might have broken my spirit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    On reflection, tell me about it :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovehotchocolate)
    Nope, the portfolio analysis. SSU's not out until 24th January.
    Seriously do not worry about portfolio analysis, get it done and pass, an excellent counts for absolutely nothing, and its complete luck if you get one. SSU excellents are worth having, PA excellent isn't worth the bother.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone at Barts know what a B grade there is roughly equivalent to?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    I thought mine was awful, but it wasn't, so hang on in there!!! :console:

ReputationRep:
    Now on resp firm, saw bronchoscopy today, was quite interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Can be, yes.

If you're in the right area/get on a home-birthing midwife's caseload before it fills up etc.
    Is there any data/evidence on the safety overall cost effectiveness of home-birthing? I'd imagine it's cheaper if everything goes well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Is there any data/evidence on the safety overall cost effectiveness of home-birthing? I'd imagine it's cheaper if everything goes well.
    Well, that's the trouble, isn't it? A normal delivery can only ever be a retrospective diagnosis, and where would you rather be when the ****/meconium hits the fan? The stats are probably out there, but I'm too tired and full of cold to bother looking right now - all I know is that none of the obstetricians I know would ever entertain the thought.

ReputationRep:
    Have to pick ibsc...I know we tell applicants this all the time, but I'm seriously weighing up the merits of going after interest, or just getting something, I can't afford for this application to go tits up...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    Have to pick ibsc...I know we tell applicants this all the time, but I'm seriously weighing up the merits of going after interest, or just getting something, I can't afford for this application to go tits up...
    Dude, do something you find interesting! Seriously... it's already bad enough and enjoy the topics!!

I would crash and burn if I didn't like it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    I've got four applications at the moment.... There's no way I'm doing this bugger after fourth year, it's now or never.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I've got four applications at the moment.... There's no way I'm doing this bugger after fourth year, it's now or never.
    If it's something you realllly want to do I'd still do it after 4th year.
    We've got one guy from my year who's now in 4th year and will be doing BSc next year :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well, that's the trouble, isn't it? A normal delivery can only ever be a retrospective diagnosis, and where would you rather be when the ****/meconium hits the fan? The stats are probably out there, but I'm too tired and full of cold to bother looking right now - all I know is that none of the obstetricians I know would ever entertain the thought.
    I Wikipedia'd that as I wasn't sure what it was. I now regret doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    If it's something you realllly want to do I'd still do it after 4th year.
    We've got one guy from my year who's now in 4th year and will be doing BSc next year :O
    Depends how I feel if I don't get in this year, cos I would have the option of doing a BMedSci here, but I feel I'd get more out of doing a more specific course elsewhere. We'll see. Fingers crossed I can get my applications sorted for this year!!!

Also, because of how our course works, I'd then be doing a iBSc after finals... seems a bit odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Depends how I feel if I don't get in this year, cos I would have the option of doing a BMedSci here, but I feel I'd get more out of doing a more specific course elsewhere. We'll see. Fingers crossed I can get my applications sorted for this year!!!

Also, because of how our course works, I'd then be doing a iBSc after finals... seems a bit odd.
    It's already odd anyway if that's the case - and maybe more relaxing even!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.