The Student Room Group

scientific reasons for believing in god?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mangala
yes, but all you have done is match bible verses to what the scientists are saying. there are thousands of verses, it's very easy to interpret some in a way which fits with the big bang theory or whatever theory you like.

Oh come on. I'm not here as a muslim saying the bible is full of linguistic miracles am I, but the verses in the bible clearly show us how God created the universe.

It is interesting how science is uncovering the process of creation from the beginning to what is happening in the universe now.

And it matches God's word, written sometime between 1440 - 950 B.C.
Original post by Good bloke
No.That's another fairy tale.

I wouldn't expect you to say anything other than that. If you don't believe in God then you don't believe in the supernatural, take that away then the devil is not in the picture so good and evil/love and hate - what are they?
Original post by Racoon
good and evil/love and hate - what are they?

Nothing to do with deities, that's for sure. They are abstract concepts.
Reply 343
Original post by Racoon
Oh come on. I'm not here as a muslim saying the bible is full of linguistic miracles am I, but the verses in the bible clearly show us how God created the universe.

It is interesting how science is uncovering the process of creation from the beginning to what is happening in the universe now.

And it matches God's word, written sometime between 1440 - 950 B.C.

in the bible god creates light before he creates the sun? How does that make any sense
Reply 344
Original post by Racoon
A typical Dawkin-esk reply, everyone who believes in God is insane except me, I'm the only sane one here.

You want there to be a God so you can blame Him for all the things that you see are wrong in the world whereas you need to realise there is a devil and he has an agenda.

satan punishes bad people. why would he do bad things, through people, and then punish them for it?
Original post by louissmith501
One should be quite careful when saying "everyone thinks" because not everyone does.
True it is established by most scientists that the universe had a beginning in time 14 odd billion years ago.

The causation argument States simply that everyone that exists has a cause for such existence, there was a time before that made that happen. Eg I was born because of my parents they were born because of theirs etc etc

Now the problem of that comes from the fact that nothing can logically go back forever right? This is the infinite regress. "What made the universe?" "God did" "What made God then?" By logic it would be the God of God
Theists don't like this at all, so they say God is a special exception and is a "uncaused cause" mostly justified by the idea that God is "outside" of time or the beginning of time itself from whence there was no time before God.

Here's the crutch, most scientists say that there was no time before the Big Bang, anything that came before was outside of time. The Big Bang is the moment time and the universe as we know it began. Therefore it can be concluded that the first cause for the universe is itself, there was no time for a creator or anything before the bang, the line ends there.

It's a philosophical argument and not a scientific one, there are instances of "uncaused" instances occurring such as nuclear decay.
Hope that helped.

Nuclear decay is caused, it has a cause , it's just random ie we don't known when it's going to happen
Original post by mangala
nevermind mate your wisdom has converted me to believe in god. im gonna pretend not to understand words whenever someone with common sense tells me im wrong.

what is evidence? be clear ==)

Well, I apologize that you were unable to actually tell me what evidence you would actually accept. I'm glad, however, that your newfound faith has blossomed. Welcome to the fold!
[QUOTE="louissmith501;62718107"]The multiverse is simply the notion that this universe isn't the only one, in fact there are many universes alongside our own universe that exist that arise and live their life, our universe is one of these seemingly infinite ones.

Now theoretically its provable, a scientist can write out all the formulas and prove it to you, however it lacks a practical and experimental piece of hard evidence to solidify the theory, although other pieces have been suggested that haven't yet convinced most or overwhelmingly proved it.[/QUOTE

Not provable, but suggested by the mathematics. In a multiverse, other universes have their own laws, or no laws. The cosmological constant takes on a different random value in each universe, explaining why ours, with our constant and existence of matter and seemingly special physical laws exists. Seen by some physicists as a cop out theory that is beyond verification.
Can we get back on track with the 'scientific evidence' bit...this has turned into something else...
there are none. God and religion is a joke.
No evidence for a deity... at all.
Much more evidence to the contrary.
The notion of god is just an expression of our amazingly stupid brains.
Original post by hellodave5
No evidence for a deity... at all.
Much more evidence to the contrary.
The notion of god is just an expression of our amazingly stupid brains.

Is The God Delusion the only one of its kind? I really think we need a book that spans all the sciences and puts together all the arguments against there being a God. People are still SO ignorant ugh
Original post by leavingthecity
Is The God Delusion the only one of its kind? I really think we need a book that spans all the sciences and puts together all the arguments against there being a God. People are still SO ignorant ugh

Yea agreed
I'm sure there will be one out there somewhere!
Original post by LibertyMan
It's a difficult question because it's based around "how do we trick people to behave". I believe religion is VERY good for society, and religions have evolved over time to give the strongest possible society - marked by high trust, stability and high birth rates.

In the past, atheists who could prove God doesn't exist and there was no reason to behave in a "socially benefical" way were very dangerous because they could make the entire society collapse, hence why they were persecuted.

Yes but then you had monotheism vs polytheism/paganism. I guess you could apply the same for this battle as monotheism is way more orthodox therefore it wins against more flexible practices.

Original post by LibertyMan
Now that atheism has won due to scientific advancement and sheer numbers it will be impossible to make people believe in God again and trick them into behaving well. So no, I don't think religion will work anymore and we need to find other ways to maintain social harmony. (Currently we're failing and society is collapsing). However countries like Russia are trying to reintroduce religious spirit to strengthen themselves, and it will be interesting to see if they manage against the wave of atheism sweeping the world.

I wouldn't quite go as far as to say "society is collapsing" as of yet. Steven Pinker argues how violence has actually decreased quite well in his "the better angels of our nature", although there has been some criticism of his work. Anyhow, I do believe education is part of the answer (like everyone really) that is why orthodox religion is declining drastically.

What worries me slightly is that we could see a decline in capitalism (or at least pure unregulated libertarian capitalism) as people may not believe in "the invisible hand" anymore
Original post by mangala
satan punishes bad people. why would he do bad things, through people, and then punish them for it?

He hates mankind because we are created in the image of God.
Reply 355
Original post by Racoon
He hates mankind because we are created in the image of God.

so why do some animals go to heaven/hell? they look nothing like us
Original post by mangala
in the bible god creates light before he creates the sun? How does that make any sense

You are right, the bible says God created light, but he doesn't refer to this light as being the sun which he created on the forth day.

I don't see what the problem is with that, God created a light source which wasn't the sun, we could try to guess what this light source was but does it really matter?

If it bothers you this has a few options.
http://www.creationmoments.com/content/how-was-day-determined-sun
Original post by mangala
so why do some animals go to heaven/hell? they look nothing like us

Who says they do or don't. I've never heard it said animals go to hell.
Reply 358
Original post by Racoon
You are right, the bible says God created light, but he doesn't refer to this light as being the sun which he created on the forth day.

I don't see what the problem is with that, God created a light source which wasn't the sun, we could try to guess what this light source was but does it really matter?

If it bothers you this has a few options.
http://www.creationmoments.com/content/how-was-day-determined-sun

it doesn't say god created a light source, it says god created light. this means that god created light which had no source.
Reply 359
Original post by Racoon
Who says they do or don't. I've never heard it said animals go to hell.

don't you have to believe in god to go to heaven? in that case all animals, except some humans, should go to hell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending