The Student Room Group

What kind of essay writer are you?

Scroll to see replies

Depends, really. For a normal essay I'm a gardener. Research projects make me become more of a swooper.
Most certainly an architect - and an extreme one at that!

Planning is the best bit; I actually get quite bored writing the essay itself,because i know exactly how it will turn out
Reply 22
Original post by brendonbackflip
I feel like its "gardener or architect" and "swooper or basher" is that how its meant to be? Because I feel like a gardener who bashes.

Yes it is meant to be that way, but I thought it might be confusing that way, I guess not ^-^
I think I'm more of a garderner, I have a little plan of what stuff I'll be writing about and always checking my work as I go along :smile:
Gardener most of the time. I have a rough idea of what to write but tend to change and develop as I go along.

Architect for my dissertation though. Spent a good bit of time writing essay plans right down to the last detail.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a freestyler.
I think i'm probably a swooper, I hate plans and thus never have on, I tend to try and finish my essays as soon as possible when I get them then don't usually touch them again. Now I'm going into second year though I'll probably try and fix my essays up more after i've finished them.
Reply 27
Basher. I do this at first. Then I start to procrastinate due to the repetitiveness of the process. By the time the deadline is fast-approaching, I go all Gardner, not caring about the outcome.
Original post by Zowidi
I did some research on what type of essay writers there are and I thought it would be interesting to see which ones people are because I'm weird and having nothing else to do with my summer :h: there are also some questions!

Swoopers
Swoopers write “higgledy piggledy” and write a first draft as quickly as possible, and then go back and “painstakingly” fix everything that’s wrong.

Bashers
Bashers, on the other hand, write very slowly and work on each sentence until it’s perfect. “And when they’re done, they’re done.”

Architects
Architects plan every little detail of the essay before they actually write it, they know how many paragraphs there will be and what will go into each paragraph.

Gardeners
They have a very basic idea of how their essay will be written, but no highly detailed plan, unlike the Architect. They start their essay on one point and see which direction their writing takes them, constantly developing their essay as they write.

You might be a combination of a few types or have no type at all. Either way I'd like to hear your opinion!

Is there a type you'd rather be?
Which do you think is the most effective for writing an essay?
What is your friend's type?
Does your type change?

Thank you :h:

Hmmm. I'm about to be an English lit and lang student this sept, and I'm definitely not 100% any of those completely. I'd say I'm half basher, half gardener.

I don't plan my essays at all. It's physically and mentally impossible for me to plan an essay!? I don't see the point in it. Eg if I'm writing an essay on an extract of something, I'll annotate it with little notes, then jump straight into my essay after I've thought 'okay, I can make at least three points from what I've got here.' Then, I'm all over the place, I don't stick to what I thought I would write about necessarily. I like to make points within points and so on. I'm the type of person who writes too much (can you tell?) but I've always been like that and can't help it!:colondollar:

Perhaps the architect is the best? Maybe I'd prefer to be like that, as I know several and they always excel in their essays. However, I like how I write essays. I do really well because it's my natural thoughts, and I haven't pressured myself into planning every detail!

My type never changes. I'll always be like this- no planning is the way forward :u:
I'm a basher.

I've read everything there is to know about the essay, and I plan meticulously.
Reply 32
Developed into a swooper in my final year. I started to write my essays well before the deadline so I could go back over them multiple times to make sure everything read perfectly. It's a far more time consuming approach than the others, but I found it enabled me to get much higher marks for my assignments as the essays tended to flow much better.
Swooper/ gardener. I start out with good intentions; I make some notes about the aim of the essay, how I'm going to structure it into well-linked and ordered paragraphs, then I start writing, and the essay just kind of takes on a life of it's own. I think it's amazing when I'm writing, and that all my ideas are fantastically inspired, and then I read through it, realize it's 90% garbage, and spend the next few days editing it down.
Gardener

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending