The Student Room Group

Car shakes violently at first gear.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CAElite
Amen. Modern cars are getting silly.

Mid 1980s and 1990s cars were built to last, my dad toyota hilux 2000 has around 1.1 million kilometers on it with original motor but never had any engine or major issues, it still runs like new.
I've been on both sides of the fence, having worked in vehicle design and spent a lot of time fixing engines. Frankly, electronics are made out to be some kind of evil but they actually make serious engine failures less likely. I used to work at a sailing centre running both older, non- computerised and computerised versions of the same engines. The older engines probably broke down only half as often, but were out of action for far longer...
Original post by CurlyBen
I've been on both sides of the fence, having worked in vehicle design and spent a lot of time fixing engines. Frankly, electronics are made out to be some kind of evil but they actually make serious engine failures less likely. I used to work at a sailing centre running both older, non- computerised and computerised versions of the same engines. The older engines probably broke down only half as often, but were out of action for far longer...

That sounds good, but if we let electronics to all the function inside the engine, the probability of engine misfiring is less but engine stalls and breakdown are more unfortunately :angry:. I think engineers need to work much harder on electronic devices that control the engine but unfortunately production cost is a major drawback.
Electronically controlling variables is relatively a new trend in automotive industry, engineers need to work more in designing them better and make them reliable as the mechanical modules.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Azhar Rana
That sounds good, but if we let electronics to all the function inside the engine, the probability of engine misfiring is less but engine stalls and breakdown are more unfortunately :angry:. I think engineers need to work much harder on electronic devices that control the engine but unfortunately production cost is a major drawback.
Electronically controlling variables is relatively a new trend in automotive industry, engineers need to work more in designing them better and make them reliable as the mechanical modules.

Haha, I guess this isn't an area you've got much experience in! Electronic controls tend to be a lot more reliable as they generally don't rely on moving components. I have a strong mechanical bias but mechanical control systems tend to be a bloody nightmare. Their advantage is that they can be more easily reverse engineered at a later date. Suggesting that engineers just need to work harder is nonsense.

You also have to remember that the cost of developing components with a significantly longer lifespan is high, and the return on that investment is little to none. Someone buying a new car is unlikely to care about the reliability in ten years time, as it will probably have passed through two or three owners by then. They certainly won't want to pay more to ensure that reliability. As that first owner is the only one the company sees money from, their goal must be to keep that buyer happy, not the ones downstream.
Original post by CurlyBen
Haha, I guess this isn't an area you've got much experience in! Electronic controls tend to be a lot more reliable as they generally don't rely on moving components. I have a strong mechanical bias but mechanical control systems tend to be a bloody nightmare. Their advantage is that they can be more easily reverse engineered at a later date. Suggesting that engineers just need to work harder is nonsense.

You also have to remember that the cost of developing components with a significantly longer lifespan is high, and the return on that investment is little to none. Someone buying a new car is unlikely to care about the reliability in ten years time, as it will probably have passed through two or three owners by then. They certainly won't want to pay more to ensure that reliability. As that first owner is the only one the company sees money from, their goal must be to keep that buyer happy, not the ones downstream.

Oh I see thanks for the clarification :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending