The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

3 cars?! I filled up a Pug 306...I had to get a lift home with a friend because I still had more stuff that wouldn't fit in..and I wouldn't either! To get most of my stuff in we strapped stuff into the front passenger seat...
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 21
Angelil
I hate to sound like a bore, you WILL regret it when they're just another thing to fit in the car Tetris-style when it's time to go home. Really.

All my shiz + Range Rover = no problemo :biggrin:

Tbh I travel fairly light anyway, i'm trying to reduce the packing list to things i definitely use everyday and other things like fairly lights and photos to make it more familiar.

I keep having to restrain myself from awesome stuff I think I need to bring -but really don't!- e.g Surfboard, Harman Kardon speakers (so big! *whimpers* ) playstation, guitar, cat etc

I'd love to risk 'stealth-fairy-lights' but really, if the things did catch fire there would probably be hell to pay! (This actually happened to a friend- Go value fairy lights!)
Reply 22
Don't forget you will acquire more stuff while in Exeter - don't just take account of what you have now...
Reply 23
An ailing 405 estate of 15 years managed to take my worldly possessions back with me - I can't stress enough just how useful Tesco's flip-lock crate style boxes are! Managed to fit everything in, however rear view mirror was rendered absolutely useless and braking was a bit 'hope and prayers' at times. God knows how I'm going to fit it all in to a Lafrowda room next year!
Reply 24
Okay I understand about fairy lights (even though I don't agree!) but what about hair straighteners?? I mean surely if you're allowed a hair dryer then straighteners are the same right??
Reply 25
Yes, you're allowed straighteners. Ignore the contract if it says you're not allowed them :p: Just be sensible and it'll be fine.

And I do agree about the fairy lights, actually - not only do they take up unnecessary space when packing (believe me, you'll be grateful), many of them are bought very cheaply, often off market stalls, and sometimes overseas, so may be electrically unsafe (unlike hair straighteners which are more likely to come from reputable suppliers).
Reply 26
I'm taking 2 cars up to Exeter, my dad just got rid of his 4x4 on some kind of eco powertrip and bought a new peugot 107 (in banana yellow... it looks awful!) so I'll be taking that and my mums too, similar size.
Reply 27
if you're in catered and have nice cleaners then you can pretty much take what you like, the only way you will get caught is if you set the fire alarm off. they never once inspected my room in birks, i know what person on my corridor had one of those vegetable steamer thingys for the last term :^_^:
Reply 28
Two cars? Good lord, even in self-catered you'll never need that much stuff! Everything I own in the world fits in a Corsa and I always have everything I need (except today when I had to buy a spanner set but seriously, who saw that coming?!).
Reply 29
I need to work on that one too Kath...I have far far too much stuff and would LOVE if it could all fit in a Corsa :biggrin:
Reply 30
Phew, so straighteners are okay. I dunno where I heard it but someone said that you couldn't take them to uni, but they weren't going to Exeter so maybe its different for different places. My mums bf is a carpet fitter, so I'm gonna travel down in his van lol, there's loads of space in it!
To be fair, a Pug 107 isn't the biggest thing in the world...There again I managed getting there in a 306..getting back was interesting and I ended up going back on the train xD

Latest

Trending

Trending