University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Don't be so sure. They are banned at Leeds :frown:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
they're banned at most places, we were told specifically not to when we moved in. Not that they check though.
Reply 3
No, fairy lights are banned. In Self-Catered we still had them, but took them down [along with the posters on the walls instead of the notice board and any other banned things] for the termly room inspections, and then put them straight back up :p:
Reply 4
I can see their point; potential fire hazard etc but even so- That sucks!!

Thanks guys, one less thing (albeit snazzy, multicoloured and awesome) to buy I guess *sniff!*
Yep fairy lights etc are banned.
Apparently a fire hazard.
But like Seph said, there is nothing to stop you putting them up then just taking them down for the room inspections, cos they give you about a weeks notice for when they're going to come round and inspect.
Reply 6
What does get annoying is when you material is a fire hazard, but someone elses isn't =P
I just think their health and safety rules in halls border on ridiculous.
One of my flatmates had an inflatable sofa in her room...she was told to take it down cos it was a fire hazard, and then once she had taken it down they would "come and inspect the room for damage"
Damage? From an inflatable sofa? In Lafrowda? Where there are solid brick walls and no plaster?
Its a joke....
Reply 8
You are kidding me?! :rofl:
Reply 9
are they banned? :eek:

everyone i knew had them in their rooms in birks :s-smilie: you could always see at least one room glowing a pretty colour at night :^_^:
Reply 10
They were banned at ours too but tbh, unless you make it obvious in the window shouldn't be an issue
I had fairy lights, in fact my whole flat had fairy lights in Penny C - They knew we had them too, because soe people got warnings for blu-tacking too many photos on their walls. Apparently you're not allowed posters either- however most of my flat had those too and it didn't cause any problems.

I would recommend being nice to the cleaners though, we 'made friends' with ours so I doubt she would have reported anything anyway...
Reply 12
Bebbs
they're banned at most places, we were told specifically not to when we moved in. Not that they check though.

not banned at staffs :biggrin: we had loads in our kitchen on our tree and in the windows and loads of people had them all around their rooms
Reply 13
À la mode
I would recommend being nice to the cleaners though, we 'made friends' with ours so I doubt she would have reported anything anyway...

Can't stress this enough. Since the cleaner will be round your place (at least in Self Catered) 3 times a week, they'll know whats going on. Also coupled with the fact for the most part they do the 'housekeeping empty room cheeeeeck!!' they'll see whatever contraband you have in your room.

I will warn they're big on fairy lights and candles / incense / oil burners - I wouldn't suggest circumventing the rules on these, at least. Otherwise, cleaners and other housekeeping staff are for the most part happy not to ruffle feathers. Be wary of the termly checks as well, they go through EVERYTHING. I got chided for taking down the emergency services A4 sheet. Like I don't know where to go or who to call in case of a fire? Sheesh.
lmcorr
Can't stress this enough. Since the cleaner will be round your place (at least in Self Catered) 3 times a week, they'll know whats going on. Also coupled with the fact for the most part they do the 'housekeeping empty room cheeeeeck!!' they'll see whatever contraband you have in your room.

I will warn they're big on fairy lights and candles / incense / oil burners - I wouldn't suggest circumventing the rules on these, at least. Otherwise, cleaners and other housekeeping staff are for the most part happy not to ruffle feathers. Be wary of the termly checks as well, they go through EVERYTHING. I got chided for taking down the emergency services A4 sheet. Like I don't know where to go or who to call in case of a fire? Sheesh.

Haha same... I took down all the emergency procedure notices and when the first room inspection came round I got told off and given new ones. I promptly took them down again but stashed them in my desk drawer and just put them up when the room inspection was coming round :biggrin: sneeeakky.
Reply 15
I hate to sound like a bore, but while fairy lights/lava lamps/fibroptic lamps SEEM like a good idea when you're going off to uni in September, trust me, you WILL regret it when they're just another thing to fit in the car Tetris-style when it's time to go home. Really. It's all just excess stuff and packing up is such a stress that you really need to minimise how much you take.
Angelil
I hate to sound like a bore, but while fairy lights/lava lamps/fibroptic lamps SEEM like a good idea when you're going off to uni in September, trust me, you WILL regret it when they're just another thing to fit in the car Tetris-style when it's time to go home. Really. It's all just excess stuff and packing up is such a stress that you really need to minimise how much you take.

I have to agree here. I found when I was emptying my room that I was picking stuff up that I hadn't used all year. Thus, there is a box of my stuff in the garage, I have been home for a week, and I haven't unpacked this box of stuff because I simply do not need/use it that often, at home or at Uni.
Reply 17
Angelil

you do make a valid point unfortunately i just can't help myself :s-smilie:

each time i took absolutely everything i may have needed but probably didn't, add in the random stuff i collected whilst there and clearing out my room at the end of the year filled up 3 cars :redface: now i think that is some kind of record :proud:
kayzy
you do make a valid point unfortunately i just can't help myself :s-smilie:

each time i took absolutely everything i may have needed but probably didn't, add in the random stuff i collected whilst there and clearing out my room at the end of the year filled up 3 cars :redface: now i think that is some kind of record :proud:

Thats just insane, imagine the pollution if everyone decided to do that?
I barely filled up my little car! And even then I thought I had too much stuff!
Reply 19
3 cars? I filled up a Merc and thought that was bad...

Latest

Trending

Trending