Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becketts)
    A lot stems from after WW2, when the Jews were promised Palestine due to how they were treated in the holocaust. However, allegedly, the Arabs stole this land that the Jews were promised. This has sparked many conflicts, arguably including the Gaza conflict.
    "The Arabs stole this land that the Jews were promised"!! You should learn some history to clarify some wrong ideas ... The Zionists took the Palestine land as an exchange in the world war!! and they lived there and became their owners and they pretend having the right to do whatever they are doing with palestinians!! Just imagine if this was happening with your country, what would you do then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B2 Spirit)
    If palestinians were suffering so much, don't you think they would ceasefire when Israel has?
    But it's a unilateral ceasefire. Regardless of what the Palestinians do, Israel should stand by it's own ceasefire and not break it...

Why would they be wanting to provoke retaliation?
    I'm guessing you don't know what a unilateral ceasefire is.

Could it be they're the instigators?
    Yes, because they really illegally immigrated to Palestine and committed terrorist acts in order to get their own state.

Oh wait!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palewolfe)
    Hi there,

From what I can understand from news broadcasts such as RT news is that the Israeli radicalism are basically performing genocide against the Palestinians.

The prime minister of Israel when asked why he was attacking Palestinians he replied because he was removing the threat of terrorism. However when the interviewer asked how a new born baby only hours old or the young toddlers and their mothers are "terriorists" he relied in all seriousness that they were "vermin" that needed to be eradicated from the world.

Although many of the politicians are all for this war, when many civilians or upper class Israelis were asked how they felt about it - their reply basically stated they were ashamed with what their government were doing and wanted it to end.

Like all civil disturbances along these lines it is only a handful of radicals who are attempting to cause such destruction.

I hope this helps with your queries.
    Are you a troll, you do realize that RT is bankrolled by the Kremlin and has a long history of churning out blatant Russian propaganda, it is in the pocket of the Russian state, it receives all its money from the Kremlin and many high profile RT journalists have quit due to the Kremlins coercion of their reporting.

ReputationRep:
    Its an extremely complicated issue, and people who are just saying that it's Israel vs. the terrorist don't understand it fully.

Hamas and Israel are both in the wrong, but both sides have committed atrocities. There is no doubt, however, that Israel is in the bigger power in this conflict, and they continue to bomb UN-sponsored shelters and schools for no good reason.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody really is sure, the Israelis are killing Palestinians while Hamas attempts to kill Israelis and the world only cares because news agencies are getting pictures of civilians being killed. Honestly this site is as bad as any other because it is quite deeply divided between pro Israel and Pro Palestine groups. That's my take, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pussy Galore)
    Are you a troll, you do realize that RT is bankrolled by the Kremlin and has a long history of churning out blatant Russian propaganda, it is in the pocket of the Russian state, it receives all its money from the Kremlin and many high profile RT journalists have quit due to the Kremlins coercion of their reporting.
    No I am not a troll, I watch various news channels and RT was just an example of a channel. And my post was only my view from what I have understood on the conflicts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Who promised the land to them?
    Britain gave them the land, I think Palestine was under British rule at the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palewolfe)
    No I am not a troll, I watch various news channels and RT was just an example of a channel. And my post was only my view from what I have understood on the conflicts
    I do watch RT, but only to laugh, RT is as bad as fox news, instead of being an American nationalist news outlet it is a Russian nationalist news outlet, look at the coverage on UKraine, today all they are reporting is that a small number of Ukrainian soldiers have defected to Russia, nothing about MH17 at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ezmae)
    Britain gave them the land, I think Palestine was under British rule at the time
    It was mainly bought by the jewish immigrants, history that far back is largely irrelevant to the conflict today however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pussy Galore)
    You are being very dishonest and manipulative, OP what you see above leaves out context, it matters. The context in which the 8 Palestinians were killed was not one of a surprise attack and kidnapping through military infrastructure (tunnels) that had been in the works over recent years.

The reason why Israel is conducting military operations in Gaza stems from the kidnapping and killing of three Israeli civilians through the use of Hamas sponsored and built tunnels, which Hamas uses to raid Israel.

As for the civilian casualties, deeply regrettable, but Hamas is largely to blame. Hamas stores weapons weapons in densely populated areas and is using civilians as meat shields, which is a great propaganda tool as the civilian death toll rising helps to gather support from you and your ilk for the actions of Hamas, a terrorist organization who have explicitly stated heir intentions for a genocide of the jewish people.
    Those teens were kidnapped in a West Bank settlement?

How the **** did Hamas build a tunnel from Gaza to the West Bank?

And please oh please offer us with proof that Hamas did it because it has been proven to be false

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelYEAH)
    Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could put what is happening in Gaza in simplistic terms.

My dad described it as basically the Israeli (who I had to then confirm were the Jews) are fighting Palestinians (The arabs) who are in a terrorist group. He said that the Israelis are trying to find and clear out the tunnels the terrorist group uses and to basically get rid of them.

BUT, I know that Israelis and Palestinians have never got on because of religious matters and I was also wondering why people mention the holocaust. In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O5zgXeCynQ
    a lady mentions the holocaust and it causes a lot of drama and i'm not too sure as to why? Is she comparing what is happening in the east to the holocaust? If someone could clarify, that would be great.

A final question, is who is morally right and who is morally wrong in this conflict? Or is that a question which is far too complicated to answer in simplistic terms?
    Your dad meant by "terrorist group": Hamas! The war now, if we can call it war, is between: Hamas and Israel! Palestinians are there just to be killed... they are not a part of it! So, both Hamas and Israel want to kill: Israel wants to kill the civilians (Genocide) by bombing houses and using high-tech weapons in order to take control of the rest of Palestine territory; Hamas wants to destroy Israel because they think that Zionists have no right to be there (in palestine) ... The poor Palestinians are paying the whole thing, they are starving: Israel deprived them of food, water and electricity... They are the only victim and it is our duty to help them in a way or another!! This Genocide must come to an end !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becketts)
    A lot stems from after WW2, when the Jews were promised Palestine due to how they were treated in the holocaust. However, allegedly, the Arabs stole this land that the Jews were promised. This has sparked many conflicts, arguably including the Gaza conflict.
    Where are you getting this from! How can you steal land if it already belongs to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsr1269)

I'm guessing you don't know what a unilateral ceasefire is.

I do understand, but why would the palestinians not seize this opportunity?

If you're losing and your enemy declares a ceasefire, why would you then increase your attacks to provoke the enemy into breaking their ceasefire?

Seems like the palestinians want to create more trouble?

ReputationRep:
    This is Gaza. The red circles indicate open ground, the blue circles indicate open ground with some population areas.

There is clearly enough room for Hamas to operate away from the civilian population - yet they choose to embed themselves into civilian areas, why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ezmae)
    Yes! Zionists were like:" we promise you ( England) to make the USA get involved in the world war so that you can win it , but you have to give us Palestine" ... And that was the curse! Palestine was given to the Zionists !

ReputationRep:
    Democratically elected Hamas started firing rockets into Israel, killing a few people. Israel also claimed people were kidnapped although that was found out to be false propaganda a little while ago.
    Now Israel is defending itself by levelling the Gaza strip and killing hundreds of people.
    Personally I don't care about Jews or Muslims, they can carry on killing each other.

ReputationRep:
    I do understand, but why would the palestinians not seize this opportunity?

If you're losing and your enemy declares a ceasefire, why would you then increase your attacks to provoke the enemy into breaking their ceasefire?

Seems like the palestinians want to create more trouble?
    Why would the Israeli's declare a ceasefire if they are winning?

Military protocol suggests that you give no quarter to the enemy and declaring a ceasefire is foolhardy if you are winning, as you want the enemy to be not only disorientated and unable to regroup which weakens their effectiveness as a fighting force.

There is no need to call for a ceasefire if you are winning...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsr1269)
    Why would the Israeli's declare a ceasefire if they are winning?

Military protocol suggests that you give no quarter to the enemy and declaring a ceasefire is foolhardy if you are winning, as you want the enemy to be not only disorientated and unable to regroup which weakens their effectiveness as a fighting force.

There is no need to call for a ceasefire if you are winning...
    Why are you evading the question by asking another question? seems a bit whataboutary.

Or are you seriously suggesting the palestinians are winning?

In which case, why are you complaining about their casualties? surely if they are winning you should be in quite a good mood?

Why are you blaming Israel (the losing side apparently) of killing palestinians when they're winning?

Are you feeling ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sic semper erat)
    I believe Uganda was offered during Hertzl's time, in the late 1800s. Clearly no relevance to events in WWII.
    1903 to be exact.

Israel was offered by the British in 1917, so... yeah... offered, lol
    I suggest you go and examine the Balfor Declaration in greater detail....

ReputationRep:
    Why are you evading the question by asking another question? seems a bit whataboutary.

Or are you seriously suggesting the palestinians are winning?

In which case, why are you complaining about their casualties? surely if they are winning you should be in quite a good mood?

Why are you blaming Israel (the losing side apparently) of killing palestinians when they're winning?
    In which case, why would they offer a ceasefire?

I have already explained to you what military logic and protocol dictates...

Are you feeling ok?
    Perfectly fine.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.