The Student Room Group

Classics Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bluh2
I have applied to UCL to study classical archaeology and classical civilisation. i have just received a questionnaire from them to fill out but it is actually really hard :s-smilie: did anyone else get a questionnaire and how did you find it??

i have already got offers for ancient history from Kings College, Newcastle and Royal Holloway, still waiting for response from Birkbeck...

Oh hey, another Kings applicant for Ancient History!:biggrin:
Reply 41
Original post by SkyRees
Oh hey, another Kings applicant for Ancient History!:biggrin:

Haha nice! 😂 Any thoughts on accommodation yet??
Original post by bluh2
Haha nice! 😂 Any thoughts on accommodation yet??

Maybe Angel Lane! Just whatever is near to transport really and isn't too expensive ^^
Original post by bluh2
lol i think im going for intercollegiate halls.. what offer did you get and which other unis did u apply to??

I was thinking of intercollegiate, but it seems really expensive and stuff ;-;
I got all 5 of mine, I applied to KCL, Sussex, Bournemouth, Royal Holloway and Lincoln ^^
How about you? :smile:
I have so far received offers from KCL and Royal Holloway. Waiting to hear back from Birmingham, Warwick and Durham!
Original post by bluh2
yeah i guess haha i havent been around to check them out yet though... i've got 3 offers so far from KCL, newcastle and royal holloway. waiting for birkbeck and i have to do a questionnaire from UCL which is so hard!!!

What's difficult about it dude?
I've had offers from KCL and Manchester for Ancient History - still waiting on decisions from Warwick, Durham and Exeter :smile:
I heard that its easy to get into classics at Oxbridge because not many people do it. is that true. I mean I know you need the grades but apart from that is it actually easy?
Original post by bluh2
lol i wouldn't say it would be easy to get into oxbrigde with classics, even though it is in less demand than other courses oxbridge is hard af to get into. however, with other universities it generally is easier to get into a course in the classics dept because they set lower entry requirements due to being less popular.

yeah that's what I meant.
Hi, can I just ask what you all aspire to do with the degree?
I'm going to teach in secondary schools
Original post by TitanCream

I'm not entirely sure yet, maybe something to do with publishing, computing or even intelligence services ...how about you? :smile:
Original post by TitanCream

I want to write professionally, maybe as a journo, I reckon I have a book or three in me too :smile:

I'd love to spend a decade or so teaching, but later in life - I want to get out there and engage with the world first!
Original post by rhi_el
It was amazing so definitely!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you go to the event, or watch online?
Original post by robinfr
yeah that's what I meant.

Is it not also fair to say that whilst there are fewer Classics applicants, the quality of the applicants tends to be higher than in many other subjects?

I am not blowing my own trumpet here, but if I use GCSEs as a measure, in my school the Classics students are easily the group with highest GCSE results and my understanding is that this is not atypical further afield.

I imagine this will make STEM students explode with indignation, but I think there is something to it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by Look,Yes,But,See
Did you go to the event, or watch online?

I went to the event!
Original post by rhi_el
I went to the event!

Really, so many classicists all in one place, must have been electric. I love Boris but MB is awesome!

I tried to get tickets but they delayed the pricing on student tickets and when I looked back at the site they were sold out. Shame but there was clearly a lot of demand.
Reply 58
Really, so many classicists all in one place, must have been electric. I love Boris but MB is awesome!

I tried to get tickets but they delayed the pricing on student tickets and when I looked back at the site they were sold out. Shame but there was clearly a lot of demand.

It was pretty good! A bit like Latin camp hahaha, lovely to be around so many people interested in similar stuff. Got to catch up with some people too. I voted for Rome before and after, Mary Beard just knows so much that it radiates from her but Boris is still a great orator! I bought an adult ticket for myself but then my friend was selling a student one so I bought it for me and took my Mum. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Riverstar
I'm going to teach in secondary schools

Ah, thats where I want to start.

Original post by Phoebus Apollo
I'm not entirely sure yet, maybe something to do with publishing, computing or even intelligence services ...how about you? :smile:

Firstly in education, perhaps secondary but I want to contribute to the field with research.
I want to write professionally, maybe as a journo, I reckon I have a book or three in me too :smile:

I'd love to spend a decade or so teaching, but later in life - I want to get out there and engage with the world first!

I like your plan!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending