Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

scientific reasons for believing in god? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishea16)
    what i mean is that a fact is undeniably true so whats there not to believe?
    I see what you mean with this one. Your context confused me a bit.

fantasy? you just answered your own question, i thought you believed in santa??
    I was asking you really what you would think if I claimed to believe in Santa. Of course I don't believe in Santa.

but how can the idea of God just come to someones mind?
    youre saying that because there was no explanation for things and that created the idea of God?
    that doesnt make any sense
    It's called imagination. Something that humans have in abundance. Like how I just imagined a flying purple cookie monster watching over all of us. It was pretty easy. A pink elephant that's 50 feet high? I just imagined it.

and science doesn't contradict religion
    it supports religion
    Erm... I think you'll find mostly it doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankieboy)
    My word is my bond
    The world is your lobster Terry.

ReputationRep:
    Just a side note - I think there's a lot of people who would like to believe in God. However, rather than there not being any evidence of God, it goes even further. To a lot of people there is pronounced evidence that there isn't a God, or if there is one, he must be a *******.

So to my mind - I don't believe in God. And if you proved to me there was a God, chances are I would not want anything to do with him. Either way, there's no room for such a concept in my life.

I'd go as far as to say I think God is downright evil, selfish, immature, and insecure if he exists. I am not impressed by his apparent creationsim on this planet, least of all the human race. And a few rainbows, blue skies and butterflies don't even begin to make up for that.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, Thor's pretty cool. I choose to believe in him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    The world is your lobster Terry.
    I always thought Dave who ran the gentlemen's club was funny as well.

"Sorry, I ain't seen him Arthur". With his Majorca tan, shirts, 70's wallpaper and gin and tonics.

Great actors.

Having said that, I think the lobster thing may be Del Boy, not Arthur. Perhaps Arthur said it as well? No matter. I'm just being pedantic.

ReputationRep:
    soo..
    doesnt mean that you ever believed
    Wait don't tell me, and those seeds of doubt....they were in fact PUT THERE BY THE DEVIL

ReputationRep:

I was asking you really what you would think if I claimed to believe in Santa. Of course I don't believe in Santa.

It's called imagination. Something that humans have in abundance. Like how I just imagined a flying purple cookie monster watching over all of us. It was pretty easy. A pink elephant that's 50 feet high? I just imagined it.

imagination is inspired by something
    you can imagine flying purple cookie monster( lol your imagination is pretty good) because you have seen birds fly so you know thats possible
    youve seen the colour purple and probs cookie monster somewhere, lol
    so you can imagine what you can see and feel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    Yes, people often use this as evidence of the Quran being a truly holy book...

So you're telling me that if if repeat all that I have said and make it rhyme, there's a chance of you taking this science stuff seriously?
    What?

ReputationRep:
    Just a side note - I think there's a lot of people who would like to believe in God. However, rather than there not being any evidence of God, it goes even further. To a lot of people there is pronounced evidence that there isn't a God, or if there is one, he must be a *******.

So to my mind - I don't believe in God. And if you proved to me there was a God, chances are I would not want anything to do with him. Either way, there's no room for such a concept in my life.

I'd go as far as to say I think God is downright evil, selfish, immature, and insecure if he exists. I am not impressed by his apparent creationsim on this planet, least of all the human race. And a few rainbows, blue skies and butterflies don't even begin to make up for that.
    PRSOM or whatever it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    Wait don't tell me, and those seeds of doubt....they were in fact PUT THERE BY THE DEVIL
    huh?
    if your assumptions were even a bit less.. erm .. strange then it would make sense
    dont let this thread get to your head
    believe what you want lol
    i take no responsibility of youre condition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Because he's very busy today.
    i'll spin his jaw

ReputationRep:
    BTW - I wouldn't want to take anyone's belief away from them. It's the smokescreen illogical arguments for believing I find rather offensive.

If you "believe" (whatever that means) then go ahead. Just don't be surprised when others don't follow suit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    I don't think there is any convincing scientific evidence for God's existence, otherwise it would be all over the news.
    What about Lucifer inventing the Big Bang Theory :rofl2:

How come with the idea of entropy - Earth became so organised as such.

Is it regarding closed system argument :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangala)
    yeah but "experiences" have no scientific merit or way of proving their validity. i've prayed and nothing has happened, if god wanted me to believe in him why isn't he showing me he exists?
    God doesn't work like that. + belief is a gift, which you might get or you need to seek

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rtdsv)
    I know this is a sepeate topic, but out of curiosity, what, in your opinion, would disprove the existence of God? Also, in your opinion what would prove it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It depends on what god we're talking about here. As far as I'm concerned, the holy texts themselves of certain religions such as Christianity and Islam disprove the god they proclaim is real. This is because the texts are riddled with simply too many errors and contradictions for them to have been written by all-knowing deities.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in God but I believe in Dawkins and that is close enough for me.

ReputationRep:
    believing is a choice
    you can believe in anything
    I would argue that belief, for the most part is not a choice. After all, you can't just choose to believe that 2+2=5 can you? Similarly, without evidence how can a sceptic choose to believe in God?

(Original post by mangala)
    why are u writing like a poem
    Lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    I would argue that belief, for the most part is not a choice. After all, you can't just choose to believe that 2+2=5 can you? Similarly, without evidence how can a sceptic choose to believe in God?

Lmao.
    like i said before
    you cant believe a fact because its undeniably true
    theres nothing to believe its just is true

ReputationRep:
    mans fault yes
    original sin no

oh well good try
    How are tornados, diseases and birth defects man's fault?

ReputationRep:
    theres nothing to believe its just is true
    You need to spend more time reading a dictionary.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.