The Student Room Group

scientific reasons for believing in god?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rtdsv
I know this is a sepeate topic, but out of curiosity, what, in your opinion, would disprove the existence of God? Also, in your opinion what would prove it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on what god we're talking about here. As far as I'm concerned, the holy texts themselves of certain religions such as Christianity and Islam disprove the god they proclaim is real. This is because the texts are riddled with simply too many errors and contradictions for them to have been written by all-knowing deities.
I don't believe in God but I believe in Dawkins and that is close enough for me.
Original post by Ishea16

believing is a choice
you can believe in anything

I would argue that belief, for the most part is not a choice. After all, you can't just choose to believe that 2+2=5 can you? Similarly, without evidence how can a sceptic choose to believe in God?

Original post by mangala
why are u writing like a poem

Lmao.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I would argue that belief, for the most part is not a choice. After all, you can't just choose to believe that 2+2=5 can you? Similarly, without evidence how can a sceptic choose to believe in God?

Lmao.

like i said before
you cant believe a fact because its undeniably true
theres nothing to believe its just is true
Original post by Ishea16
mans fault yes
original sin no

oh well good try:h:

How are tornados, diseases and birth defects man's fault?
Original post by Ishea16

You need to spend more time reading a dictionary.
Original post by Ishea16
like i said before
you cant believe a fact because its undeniably true

But facts aren't really relevant. My point was that can't choose to believe in certain things, regardless of whether they're supposed facts or not if you don't think there's evidence for them.
How are tornados, diseases and birth defects man's fault?

maybe because theyre not
they are caused by movement of air

birth defects are caused by genes and other factors
But facts aren't really relevant. My point was that can't choose to believe in certain things, regardless of whether they're supposed facts or not if you don't think there's evidence for them.

but what if you want to believe even though theres not any concrete evidence?
is it wrong to do that?
Original post by Ishea16
maybe because theyre not
they are caused by movement of air

birth defects are caused by genes and other factors

And who controls air and put natural laws into place (regarding air flow and biology)? Therefore God is ultimately to blame for these things.
Original post by Ishea16
but what if you want to believe even though theres not any concrete evidence?
is it wrong to do that?

No, but it's unlikely that anyone would want to believe something for which they believe there is no evidence.
No, but it's unlikely that anyone would want to believe something for which they believe there is no evidence.

unlikely?
maybe thats why around (3-3.5 billion people) believe in God
even though there is no conclusive evidence
from my fastest google search lol
Original post by mangala
scientific, logical evidence which points towards the existence of god

convert me from atheism

In your request, you have placed "God" as a constant, and put the views around that constant as variables.

What if you put "God" as a variable - a personal interpretation or psychological result of previous experience, and then look at the situation?

I'm an Athiest who looked at Christianity and realised that the two can go perfectly together if you apply a little science :P
And who controls air and put natural laws into place (regarding air flow and biology)? Therefore God is ultimately to blame for these things.

are you saying that God does control these things?
welcome to being a theist my friend
Original post by Ishea16
unlikely?

No, these theists already believe in God, they don't want to. Saying someone wants to believe in something implies they don't yet believe in it.

And exactly, there is no evidence whatsoever for God, I'm glad we agree on that. So then why do so many theists say there is?

Original post by Ishea16
are you saying that God does control these things?
welcome to being a theist my friend

I'm speaking hypothetically. I'm no theist, but you are so you have no choice but to admit that God chose how all things would be and is thus responsible for them.
Reply 655
Original post by XMaramena
In your request, you have placed "God" as a constant, and put the views around that constant as variables.

What if you put "God" as a variable - a personal interpretation or psychological result of previous experience, and then look at the situation?

I'm an Athiest who looked at Christianity and realised that the two can go perfectly together if you apply a little science :P

explain what your evidence is
Reply 656
Original post by webwolfwizard
God doesn't work like that. + belief is a gift, which you might get or you need to seek

why doesn't god work like that though? surely if he wants me to believe in him he should just stop hiding
Original post by Ishea16
unlikely?

This is demonstration of why it's such a successful religious cult.

You're having to revert to the concept that if enough people believe it, then it must be true?

It doesn't demonstrate any truth. All it demonstrates is that mankind is susceptible to superstition and fear. Even in this age. It's one of the by-products of having higher intelligence.

If only one person scientifically "proved" the exsitence of God, it would count for more than the belief of all of those people.
Another point I'd like to make.

If religious cults weren't so intent on telling people how to live their lives in even the most intimate of fashions (for example, contraception, abortion, dietary habits etc.) then I think people would be a lot more accepting of them.

No one would mind the fantasy if it led to people being free and happy. But all it seems to lead to ultimately is misery, oppression, and fear. Bar a few people who are so high on the drug, they somehow feel that the existence of rainbows and bunny rabbits justifies this while blocking out the realities of the darker sides of these organisations.
Original post by mangala
why doesn't god work like that though? surely if he wants me to believe in him he should just stop hiding

That's where they have it cleverly wrapped up in a cyclical logic type arrangement.

If he proved to you his existence, there would be no need for you to demonstrate "belief" any more, and it seems to be this test of "belief" that the whole thing revolves around.

If I tell you some cock and bull story and ask you to prove your faith by believing it without any proof, if I then prove it to you it takes away this need for you to have faith and the whole thing collapses.

The whole thing is a test of blind belief and faith which is not possible if proof is supplied. There's no wriggling out of it. Pseudo logic can be a very powerful thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending