The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jebedee
Every time I see a black girl with a white guy, he's usually either a wannabe gangster with the gimp-limp. Or some creepy looking ginger dude.

So that puts me off black girls quite a bit.

I've only been out with white or white looking men. Never had any issues :smile:
And no I don't like wannabe gangsters or any gangsters for that matter.
I'm french and it's strange because even though brits have been known to be more open and tolerant to different cultures and generally less racist , I've found that French people have faaaar less hang ups when it comes to interracial dating.

It seems to be a big deal over here.
Original post by goldie56
Plus West Indians have a stronger 'melting pot' mentality like the rest of the Americas than peoples in Africa who are more indigenous and have stayed within themselves, so to speak.

Erm I've met lots of West Indians who simply WILL NOT date white people and I'm african and I do. There are quite a few Africans who would date white people so please do not generalise.
I've had West Indians ask me how I could date (not just sleep with) white guys. Some have gone as far as to tell me that I'm sleeping with the enemy.
A lot of white guys would like to approach a black female but don't know how to do

solution:
Just be yourself don't plz don't act like a wanna be gangster or make comments like:
You like pretty fod a black girl ?
Do you love soul food ?
You love chicken, I love chicken we should mingle .
or things like that

on YouTube you will find helpful advice-vids

Plz plz be you! Smile and let your personalityashine
Original post by shalla13
Erm I've met lots of West Indians who simply WILL NOT date white people and I'm african and I do. There are quite a few Africans who would date white people so please do not generalise.
I've had West Indians ask me how I could date (not just sleep with) white guys. Some have gone as far as to tell me that I'm sleeping with the enemy.

No one said Africans never date white people and all West Indians do but there are definitely more mixtures in the Caribbean than in Africa, therefore such issues as 'family approval' are not as common because it's ingrained in the culture. What's more I'm talking about taboo, not people's inherent preferences.
Original post by Huskaris
I had a couple of very close black friends when I was younger and I went round theirs a few times, and when some of the older family members were round you could just tell they didn't approve of me being there, one old lady point blank refused to talk to me (for the record I never offended anyone and always had very good manners!) the mum of the kid was very apologetic, which helped but it just felt bad going round there when everyone was there.

As for discrimination that actually cost me anything, I've never been in a position where a black person has been in authority over me, but I would say that it is largely the older generation that hate white people.

First of all let me say I'm not discounting your experience in anyway, I'm sure that may well have been the case. That being said, that is a couple of friends; that does not equate to all or even a tenth of the black population being like that. I can guarantee you right now my own and family members' racist encounters with white British people far outweighs yours to the point I wouldn't be able to begin to quantify it. I remember before PC even existed and how blatantly racist people used to be - and I'm not that old. Now turn that around. What if I said nearly all white people are extremely racially discriminatory towards black people? I'd be way more justified in my assertion but it still wouldn't be right. So next time please think before you claim to know what extreme discrimination even is.

How am I generalising? I'm commenting on historical make up/POVs of the two sides. Things might be different in your experience but that doesn't speak for everyone. From my experience for instance, West Indians are likely to date whites, and even go on to marry them. Whereas Africans I've met have desired to marry Africans
Original post by Nomes89
First of all let me say I'm not discounting your experience in anyway, I'm sure that may well have been the case. That being said, that is a couple of friends; that does not equate to all or even a tenth of the black population being like that. I can guarantee you right now my own and family members' racist encounters with white British people far outweighs yours to the point I wouldn't be able to begin to quantify it. I remember before PC even existed and how blatantly racist people used to be - and I'm not that old. Now turn that around. What if I said nearly all white people are extremely racially discriminatory towards black people? I'd be way more justified in my assertion but it still wouldn't be right. So next time please think before you claim to know what extreme discrimination even is.

I think the difference is that you seem to have a chip on your shoulder over your experiences. I don't. I am just aware that a higher proportion of black people hold prejudices against whites than vice versa (many would argue rightly so).

Get off your high horse mate you sound like a fool.
Why does it matter? we are the younger generation and we as a society can change things.

I've never looked at a person whom I find attractive by colour of their skin but by attraction, and have been with many races of people. Don't fret about it. :smile:
Reply 88
I had a couple of very close black friends when I was younger and I went round theirs a few times, and when some of the older family members were round you could just tell they didn't approve of me being there, one old lady point blank refused to talk to me (for the record I never offended anyone and always had very good manners!) the mum of the kid was very apologetic, which helped but it just felt bad going round there when everyone was there.

As for discrimination that actually cost me anything, I've never been in a position where a black person has been in authority over me, but I would say that it is largely the older generation that hate white people.

Ok so it's the older generation. Was your friend African, because if he was Caribbean the older gen wouldn't be hostile since they came during Windrush. Anyway, unless you're trying to pick up old ladies, I don't see the problem lol.
Original post by Mannz
I stand by what I say, I don't understand why there would be prejudice from the family and I've never witnessed it. Perhaps it's different with African families compared to Caribbean families but I don't know where the other girl tagged is from. Every case is different?

From Africa. My mum doesn't care at all, and that's all that matters to me really. I fail to see why family prejudices would be a problem anyway, considering that the only person a boyfriend of mine will be associating with is my mum. Sometimes my dad, who does tend to pop round sometimes (my parents are divorced).
But yeah, back to the point. The rest of my family (particularly my uncle) are rather backward in their views. My uncle has often asked me why I had 'so few black friends' and has forbidden me from dating white guys. Obviously I'm not listening to his rubbish.

I would agree with every case is different, but if anything would hold me back (and it does) it would be the fact that black people are exceptionally racially discriminatory against whites

Again, I have to agree. Though not all black people. See the above quote, my uncle is used as an example.
Reply 90
I think the difference is that you seem to have a chip on your shoulder over your experiences. I don't. I am just aware that a higher proportion of black people hold prejudices against whites than vice versa (many would argue rightly so).

Get off your high horse mate you sound like a fool.

You realise, even if you don't have a chip on your shoulder, you wouldn't have a reason to...
Original post by goldie56
How am I generalising? I'm commenting on historical make up/POVs of the two sides. Things might be different in your experience but that doesn't speak for everyone. From my experience for instance, West Indians are likely to date whites, and even go on to marry them. Whereas Africans I've met have desired to marry Africans

No youre not really. Plus carribeans aren't mixed by choice.
Then you are speaking as a non black person who has "met" a few blacks. I however am speaking as a black african with a white step father, mixed cousins and a mixed family in general who has grown up in a french african environment. Now I will admit that Anglophone africans such as Nigerians tend to be more against interracial relationships but actually if you go to Africa(I do every 2 yeas) , you'll find that many really have an admiration for whites and many little girls dream of marrying a white man. There may be a few socio-economic factors which are also involved there but the fact is still there. But yes I've heard many Nigerians say that they would never even consider a white man and a few Ghanaians too but considering the fact that the OP wasnt specific on the types /origin of black people, my argument remains valid.
Original post by Mannz
Sorry but I have to disagree with that. You're generalising from you own experience and the media.

Also, generally, usually and the majority don't mean the same thing.

Lol my experience is enough to go by - don't we all talk from experience? I've seen a hell of a lot more black male, white female couples than the other way around, and in my initial post I suggested why. Based on my experience, and the black girls I speak to who are my friends.

In what way do you think that a white female + black male couple is as common as the black female + white male couple?

Also, let me know the difference between those words, because I'm pretty sure they mean similar things (in this context anyway).
Reply 93
Original post by stargirl63
Lol my experience is enough to go by - don't we all talk from experience? I've seen a hell of a lot more black male, white female couples than the other way around, and in my initial post I suggested why. Based on my experience, and the black girls I speak to who are my friends.

In what way do you think that a white female + black male couple is as common as the black female + white male couple?

Also, let me know the difference between those words, because I'm pretty sure they mean similar things (in this context anyway).

I didn't reply to the whole white female and black male couple thing so I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to respond to that... Yes it's true but that's not what I was talking about.

You said 'On average black girls tend to go for guys who would be accepted in their family as well', suggesting white males wouldn't be accepted in the family. I disagree because you're going on your experience with your friends, not the whole black female population. Acceptance by my family is based on morals and behaviour, not race. Your experience, (which is, what, 20 years?) is not enough to go by.

Then you said 'Also a lot of black girls have already been with a black guy before - so once you go black...etc etc.' Which is, again, from your personal experience. Not the rest of England's. Also the whole once you go black thing is bs, IMO.

Also you said 'it's [white guys] their general vibe they give off which deters me.' This shows just how biased you are anyway. I'm sure if someone said about mixed race people, 'oh, it's their vibe that deters me', you'd be offended.

And lastly, 'Black girls tend to be a lot more rowdy' is just a generalisation of what you've seen in London, where there are lots of rowdy people, and the media.

Majority refers to an object. Usulally and generally don't. It depends on the context you're using them in.
Original post by Mannz
There is a difference between ghetto and black people. Thank you.

hahaaha, loving your comment! :biggrin:
Original post by Mannz
I didn't reply to the whole white female and black male couple thing so I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to respond to that... Yes it's true but that's not what I was talking about.

You said 'On average black girls tend to go for guys who would be accepted in their family as well', suggesting white males wouldn't be accepted in the family. I disagree because you're going on your experience with your friends, not the whole black female population. Acceptance by my family is based on morals and behaviour, not race. Your experience, (which is, what, 20 years?) is not enough to go by.

Then you said 'Also a lot of black girls have already been with a black guy before - so once you go black...etc etc.' Which is, again, from your personal experience. Not the rest of England's. Also the whole once you go black thing is bs, IMO.

Also you said 'it's [white guys] their general vibe they give off which deters me.' This shows just how biased you are anyway. I'm sure if someone said about mixed race people, 'oh, it's their vibe that deters me', you'd be offended.

And lastly, 'Black girls tend to be a lot more rowdy' is just a generalisation of what you've seen in London, where there are lots of rowdy people, and the media.

Majority refers to an object. Usulally and generally don't. It depends on the context you're using them in.

All I was doing was simply suggesting reasons for these couples.
No youre not really. Plus carribeans aren't mixed by choice.
Then you are speaking as a non black person who has "met" a few blacks. I however am speaking as a black african with a white step father, mixed cousins and a mixed family in general who has grown up in a french african environment. Now I will admit that Anglophone africans such as Nigerians tend to be more against interracial relationships but actually if you go to Africa(I do every 2 yeas) , you'll find that many really have an admiration for whites and many little girls dream of marrying a white man. There may be a few socio-economic factors which are also involved there but the fact is still there. But yes I've heard many Nigerians say that they would never even consider a white man and a few Ghanaians too but considering the fact that the OP wasnt specific on the types /origin of black people, my argument remains valid.

Hasn't even met me. Tells me I'm not black

Attachment not found
Discuss.

While my parents and extended family are fine about, My grandmother did once tell me that she doesn't want me marrying a white man. Fact is she can't do **** if I do but she said it. I am black African if that helps. It seems its the older generations with the racial prejudices.
Original post by stargirl63
On average black girls tend to go for guys who would be accepted in their family as well. I know a few girls who wouldn't ever date a white guy because firstly he's white so "how would he know anything about anything we are interested in" and secondly their parents would probably laugh him out of their house. I know a Nigerian girl who dated a Vietnamese guy and she had to end it with him , because her parents didn't accept him - even though both were British.

Those parents should be deported back in time to apartheid South Africa. The shoe will be on the other foot then. A tad ironic that people with no complete white heritage have an issue with their children take an interest in a citizen from a country that is historically white.
Reply 99
Original post by brownbearxo
While my parents and extended family are fine about, My grandmother did once tell me that she doesn't want me marrying a white man. Fact is she can't do **** if I do but she said it. I am black African if that helps. It seems its the older generations with the racial prejudices.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. It seems to be mostly the older African gen, with traditional views. Whereas with Caribbean older gen, they came back in the 50s so identify as British.

Latest

Trending

Trending