The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EHZ17
Can I pm you some quick questions? not sure if everyone cares about econ in this general thread :P

Yh sure :yy:
Original post by physicsmaths
Damn, I have wronged.

Yes. They've moved them.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Fun! Content's very interesting and varied, although not all is everyone's cup of tea. You get pushed a lot and sometimes feels like I'm headbutting a brick wall but overall I think it's pretty manageable if you're disciplined.

I agree my workload during the year is manageable (nst). However my memory isn't expansive enough to remember it all at once.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Goods
I agree my workload during the year is manageable (nst). However my memory isn't expansive enough to remember it all at once.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which modules did you do first year?

I assume Maths B, Physics, Chemistry and ???

Is it lots of memorization and reading?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Which modules did you do first year?

I assume Maths B, Physics, Chemistry and ???

Is it lots of memorization and reading?

In order of difficulty id say chemistry>mathsB>>materials=physics.

Chemistry is too much for me to remember (in fact it's not all that bad apart from the organic which is horrendous), materials has a fair bit to memorise but is much more manageable. Physics is the least (the content is pretty easy in my opinion) and maths B is alright but its not taught in a way that makes it easy to learn even though the topics themselves aren't bad. Also we still have 4 weeks of content still to learn.. God damn the tripos!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Goods
In order of difficulty id say chemistry>mathsB>>materials=physics.

Chemistry is too much for me to remember (in fact it's not all that bad apart from the organic which is horrendous), materials has a fair bit to memorise but is much more manageable. Physics is the least (the content is pretty easy in my opinion) and maths B is alright but its not taught in a way that makes it easy to learn even though the topics themselves aren't bad. Also we still have 4 weeks of content still to learn.. God damn the tripos!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn it, considering bio of cells will probably more memorising than materials I might be a bit annoyed.

I am choosing between materials and bio of cells, and even though I want to do materials I think I'll have to do bio because I do wanna go into pharmacology/neuro sort of chem...

I can imagine organic being a **** load of mechanisms to learn.

Best of luck with that:lol: here I am pretty much done with everything, and you're gonna be learning even more for exams.

Next year should be fun... Do you know what you wanna do next year?
Damn it, considering bio of cells will probably more memorising than materials I might be a bit annoyed.

I am choosing between materials and bio of cells, and even though I want to do materials I think I'll have to do bio because I do wanna go into pharmacology/neuro sort of chem...

I can imagine organic being a **** load of mechanisms to learn.

Best of luck with that:lol: here I am pretty much done with everything, and you're gonna be learning even more for exams.

Next year should be fun... Do you know what you wanna do next year?

Double physics materials. Although I want to do physics and they say that unless you do maths in the second year 3/4th year physics are much harder so maybe maths but that has the caveat that my DoS only let people take maths if they get a first.
Original post by Goods
Double physics materials. Although I want to do physics and they say that unless you do maths in the second year 3/4th year physics are much harder so maybe maths but that has the caveat that my DoS only let people take maths if they get a first.

Ouch that's harsh. So possibly double physics and maths. Sounds hardcore haha.

I was sent a link before of the content for each module, do you by any chance know where I can find that? It was like a mini syllabi for each

I was sent a link before of the content for each module, do you by any chance know where I can find that? It was like a mini syllabi for each

After results day email your DoS then he'll be able to answer questions about all the courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1589
Plenty of time left!

How are you studying for physics and chem? I'm going through the books and making notes and then I'll do past papers (not sure if it's worth doing the AQA ones if I'm sitting the edexcel ones). Also, when did you start?
Original post by BVN
How are you studying for physics and chem? I'm going through the books and making notes and then I'll do past papers (not sure if it's worth doing the AQA ones if I'm sitting the edexcel ones). Also, when did you start?

Haven't started yet.

I'm just gonna read through notes and smash out past papers.

I like just doing like 4 papers the day before and making sure I understand it all.

I don't make notes because there are loads everywhere.

Don't do papers from other boards, unless Maths.

This might help....

http://www.natsci.tripos.cam.ac.uk/contacts/course-websites

That's the badger! Tyvm

Physics first year paper didn't look too bad at all :woo:
Reply 1593
That's the badger! Tyvm

Physics first year paper didn't look too bad at all :woo:

IA Physics really isn't that bad at all. Some of the questions can be a bit crap but if you pick the right ones then you're fine.
Original post by umutalberts
Woah how can you work so much?! That's like a whole 5 hours a day!

Posted from TSR Mobile

m8888 I'm doing like 10 hours a day atm :hide:

Did work from half ten am till midnight last night :cry2:..

Lyf </3
Original post by alow
IA Physics really isn't that bad at all. Some of the questions can be a bit crap but if you pick the right ones then you're fine.

Yeah I think chemistry spec looks a bit harder!

Maybe time dilation... and that optics stuff I've never done before will throw me off but should be decent enough

I best get in now lol
Reply 1596
Yeah I think chemistry spec looks a bit harder!

Maybe time dilation... and that optics stuff I've never done before will throw me off but should be decent enough

I best get in now lol

Yeah it probably is a bit.

IMO time dilation and optics are probably the easiest topics. SHM is far worse.
Original post by alow
Yeah it probably is a bit.

IMO time dilation and optics are probably the easiest topics. SHM is far worse.

Really? I couldn't get my head around Loretnz last year when doing an astronomy thing, I gave up after a lesson

What happens in SHM? I like it haha
Original post by ILovePancakes
m8888 I'm doing like 10 hours a day atm :hide:

Did work from half ten am till midnight last night :cry2:..

Lyf </3

That's a bit excessive...
Reply 1599
Really? I couldn't get my head around Loretnz last year when doing an astronomy thing, I gave up after a lesson

What happens in SHM? I like it haha

This is probably bad advice but you don't actually have to get your head around it to answer the questions well... It's not too hard anyway if you spend a bit of time on it. Read a decent E&M book to think about special relativity in a different context.

Damping. Lots and lots of damping.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending