The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
My bet is Monday...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want it now :mad:.

Original post by Rhetorical Hips
Ah thanks, I've been looking for this :smile: it doesn't seem to come up on Google any more. Interesting how Cambridge group it under 'Find out more' instead of 'Applying'.

I had to navigate the website a bit to find it :tongue:.
I'm an open medicine open holder for 2015 entry. I just wanted to know when do I have to apply for accommodation? Seeing as I won't know which college I'm at until results day, do I have to wait until then before applying for it?
Original post by a123a
I'm an open medicine open holder for 2015 entry. I just wanted to know when do I have to apply for accommodation? Seeing as I won't know which college I'm at until results day, do I have to wait until then before applying for it?

All first year accommodation is allocated after results day ( or at least at my college ) and you only get a choice of price bracket on results day you will probably know your college and so there's nothing to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrDobney
Where did you apply for? :smile: I'm at emma now doing law. If you have any questions or worries or anything feel free to message!

I heard the academic focus at emma is only rivalled by Trinity? Is there any truth in that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
I heard the academic focus at emma is only rivalled by Trinity? Is there any truth in that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol no. Cambridge is cambridge focus
Original post by EHZ17

Posted from TSR Mobile

College ranks: http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/news/0032765-tompkins-table-2014-published.html
Original post by newblood
lol no. Cambridge is cambridge focus

Thanks for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough. I think historically emmanuel are close to trinity. I asked a friend's brother (who got rejected from emmanuel but pooled to clare) about emmanuel and his answer suggested that students are generally pushed more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Application statistics have been updated, just to let anyone know!
Original post by arc0205
Application statistics have been updated, just to let anyone know!

Good spot!
2015 total offers slightly up on 2014.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

I also note that Christ's Engineering offers are up a lot, but the STEP requirement will reduce the number of successful acceptances significantly :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
HSPS Magdalene was a 48% offer rate... Can't work out if a good thing or a bad thing.
Original post by ILovePancakes
HSPS Magdalene was a 48% offer rate... Can't work out if a good thing or a bad thing.

That's odd - was just looking again and all the 2015 offer data has mysteriously disappeared...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jneill
That's odd - was just looking again and the 2015 offer data has mysteriously disappeared...

Hopefully they got it wrong and they only gave out five offers instead of fifteen and so if I miss it they'll still let me in *fingerscrossed*.
Reply 1893
Anyone got an offer for postgrad with a 2:1?
Just wondering if i should bother applying there.
Original post by omar4
Anyone got an offer for postgrad with a 2:1?
Just wondering if i should bother applying there.

My niece did (engineering) but she was at Cambridge for undergrad and she only missed a first by a whisker. She applied for MPhil when she came back from a few years abroad after graduation. I heard her old DoS & supervisor who knew her well when she was undergrad helped her application and her case was an exception then. But it was many years ago, so The situational be different now.
All other Cambridge postgrads from other universities I personally know in recent/current years got a first from their uni.

ETA: sorry just remembered my daughter's friend who only got 2.1 as Cambridge undergrad is doing MPhil now. Not sure if they treat their own undergrad differently from others.

Not sure if it's relevant to your question but I know a recent Cambridge graduate who got Firsts in both 1st & 2nd year (she was also the top of her year in both years in tripos) , got an offer for postgrad course from Oxford on the condition of getting a first in her final year, missed it by few points and lost the Oxford offer. Not sure if Oxford and Cambridge deal this kind of thing in similar way, but just FYI.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1895
Original post by vincrows
My niece did (engineering) but she was at Cambridge for undergrad and she only missed a first by a whisker. She applied for MPhil when she came back from a few years abroad after graduation. I heard her old DoS & supervisor who knew her well when she was undergrad helped her application and her case was an exception. But it was many years ago, so The situational be different now.
All other Cambridge postgrads from other universities I personally know in recent/current years got a first from their uni.

Not sure if it's relevant to your question but I know a recent Cambridge graduate who got Firsts in both 1st & 2nd year (she was also the top of her year in both years in tripos) , got an offer for postgrad course from Oxford on the condition of getting a first in her final year, missed it by few points and lost the Oxford offer. Not sure if Oxford and Cambridge deal this kind of thing in similar way, but just FYI.

Lol thanks for the reply. Im doing aerospace engineering but have a 2:1.
i'll just stick to imperial, warwick etc.
Original post by omar4
Lol thanks for the reply. Im doing aerospace engineering but have a 2:1.
i'll just stick to imperial, warwick etc.

Have read ETA above too?

It's just a very few examples that I happened to know personally.
I think you should contact the relavant department to ask about their stance. Please do not make up your mind so easily only because of one post in Internet.
Reply 1897
Original post by vincrows
Have read ETA above too?

It's just a very few examples that I happened to know personally.
I think you should contact the relavant department to ask about their stance. Please do not make up your mind so easily only because of one post in Internet.

ETA?
Well i've other forums and didnt hear anyone for sure who got an offer with a 2:1.

What should i ask them?
Original post by jneill
That's odd - was just looking again and all the 2015 offer data has mysteriously disappeared...

Wanted to check maths offers ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by omar4
ETA?
Well i've other forums and didnt hear anyone for sure who got an offer with a 2:1.

What should i ask them?

ETA= edited to add. About in the middle of my post.

Send email to postgrad admission office at the department with your details and ask if they'd consider your application. Just one email. You'll get much more accurate info than any forum! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending