The Student Room Group

Sleep disorders

Howdy doody all,

I went to see my constulant psychiatrist today and i was very shocked when he said he was referring me to see a neurologist. I have had problems sleeping for the past 18 months, and its got to the point where i sleep uninterrupted for around 16 hours without waking up. Once i do wake up, i'm ready to go back to sleep within an hour or so because i get so tired. I've stopped doing the things i normally do because i go to lie down and it turns into an eight hour sleep. I've been up since 9am and nearly fell asleep in my appointment at the doctors at 11ish. Its making my life miserable! I assumed it was related to my antidepressants so i've been transferred to prozac in an attempt to wean me off my current ones and i can then wean myself off those. Nothing is ever simple with me.

Its also a year today since i was admitted to hospital after having a panic attack which was treated by an ignorant doctor. He prescribed me something which i reacted badly too and i was in hospital for two weeks during my exams. Doesn't time fly...

Has anyone else had any sleep problems? Seen a neurologist? I'm not sure what to expect, i know it may be a form of narcolepsy but thats all i know.

Thanks for reading.
Hi Ri,

Don't try to impose schedules upon yourself that you can't stick to. Every process, including human circadian rhythm, takes a mini-storm to reach equilibrium again.

Give yourself a few days of pampering yourself indoors and having close friends pop round.

Best wishes :smile:
Reply 2

Well i just told my friend i was feeling like poo and she came round forced me to get dressed and took me to her house :smile:. Very scared about seeing a neurologist and the fact that this "thing" that has taken over my life might actually have a name.

Thanks for replying guys :smile:
Reply 3
I can't sleep. I think about everything and play out scenarios in my head for hours. I think I have a sleeping disorder but no one's said anything. I do have anxieties though that I'm in therapy/training for.

It's a matter of learning the right techniques. For me, I have to change my thought patterns and try a few breathing exercises etc. But the main problem is sleep. I go to bed late am and wake up around pm (midday) then I'm tired around or after teatime. It sucks. Might get some sleeping pills or somethin.

BTW I'm not on medication, I used to be (celexa/citalopram (its named as either/or)) but stopped taking it because I didn't want to be reliant on medication.
Reply 4
same here i have a sleep order and have a world inside my head which i live in for a while.
:rolleyes:
Sarky

Well i just told my friend i was feeling like poo and she came round forced me to get dressed and took me to her house :smile:. Very scared about seeing a neurologist and the fact that this "thing" that has taken over my life might actually have a name.

Thanks for replying guys :smile:

There's no stigma with getting help. It's what you do afterwards that people are interested in. You're an intelligent, down-to-earth girl. Simply asking and the way you asked demonstrates that. You'll be ok :smile:

And your friend has to force you to get dressed. Ri, that's not good. :rolleyes:
Reply 6
feelthesunshine
:rolleyes:

There's no stigma with getting help. It's what you do afterwards that people are interested in. You're an intelligent, down-to-earth girl. Simply asking and the way you asked demonstrates that. You'll be ok :smile:

And your friend has to force you to get dressed. Ri, that's not good. :rolleyes:

Oh i'm not worried about asking for help, i've been in hospital 4 times in the last 4 years, and i've seen more doctors than i thought existed. I'm surrounded by medicine pretty much 24/7 from my medication at home to being at uni! I always worry more when there is something physiologically wrong with me rather than psychologically. People seem to have more sympathy when you tell them you're going to see a neurologist than say a psychiatrist. But i've known that for a long time. I thought being tired would go away once i changed my medication. But if its what i think it is then it can go on indefinetely :frown:
theres all these misconceptions about psychatrists it's silly really. i know what you mean about medication, cuz mine does tht knocks me out after i take it. i hope u get urself sorted!
Sarky

Howdy doody all,

I went to see my constulant psychiatrist today and i was very shocked when he said he was referring me to see a neurologist. I have had problems sleeping for the past 18 months, and its got to the point where i sleep uninterrupted for around 16 hours without waking up. Once i do wake up, i'm ready to go back to sleep within an hour or so because i get so tired. I've stopped doing the things i normally do because i go to lie down and it turns into an eight hour sleep. I've been up since 9am and nearly fell asleep in my appointment at the doctors at 11ish. Its making my life miserable! I assumed it was related to my antidepressants so i've been transferred to prozac in an attempt to wean me off my current ones and i can then wean myself off those. Nothing is ever simple with me.

Its also a year today since i was admitted to hospital after having a panic attack which was treated by an ignorant doctor. He prescribed me something which i reacted badly too and i was in hospital for two weeks during my exams. Doesn't time fly...

Has anyone else had any sleep problems? Seen a neurologist? I'm not sure what to expect, i know it may be a form of narcolepsy but thats all i know.

Thanks for reading.

am sure i have same thing. its isn't narcolepsy it's hypersomnia.
so u dont fall asleep whilst walking to work etc but you do when you are sat down for more than 5 mins ina warm room etc. and you can sleep undisturbed for hours on end...
Sarky

Oh i'm not worried about asking for help, i've been in hospital 4 times in the last 4 years, and i've seen more doctors than i thought existed. I'm surrounded by medicine pretty much 24/7 from my medication at home to being at uni! I always worry more when there is something physiologically wrong with me rather than psychologically. People seem to have more sympathy when you tell them you're going to see a neurologist than say a psychiatrist. But i've known that for a long time. I thought being tired would go away once i changed my medication. But if its what i think it is then it can go on indefinetely :frown:

go see a consultant neuropsychiatrist - best of both worlds :wink:
I have the opposite - I rarely get more than 4.5 hours a night although that may be affected by the 10+cups of coffee I have each day,

MB
Sarky

Howdy doody all,

Thanks for reading.

i tend to have sleep problems but i don't think it's as severe as yours. I can sleep for a good 12 hours and when i am forced to get up i feel like going back to sleep again :redface: I used to get it in school when i was in lessons i would have the need to fall asleep. When i was in my politics exam the other day half way through i wanted to fall asleep i was so tired! And when i was having my driving exam last wednesday i was trying to eat bananas and everything because it was quite hot that day and i was worried i'd go drousy :redface: it is embarrassing sometimes because i can imagine getting alot of funny looks from people!

I do hate getting sleepy and i even thought that maybe i was eating the wrong foods or i was just plain lazy :frown: i really hope i don't get like this when i go to uni..
Reply 12
Oh yeah and when I was at Primary School I used to fall asleep in assembly every day and wake up in the 'wendy bed' (small bed that was part of a kind of life size doll house) lol that was so cool. Luckily I grew out of it.

You shouldn't worry about there being anything seriously or life threateningly or incurably wrong with you sarky because there isn't. I used to think that but you really need to reason everything out. It's boring I know lol but write down what you think the worst scenario is, then how likely it is. Then write down what good could come of it, even if the worst thing happened. Good luck.
Reply 13
Bah i'm a drama queen.

And in response to foolfarian, i always thought it was hypersomnia too, but the accompanying symptoms like sleep paralysis and vivid dreams have led my psychiatrist to suspect otherwise.

I'm so fed up of feeling like this. I've only just woken up :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending