The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you sure you know what you're letting yourself in for....?

Nah I'm only joking, if you're working there part time then it's ok if you don't mind being on the till for 90% of the 7.5 hours you're working. You also get to 'tidy up' oh how exciting.

Unofficially the wages are £4.92 (18+) for regular sales assistants, if you're under 18 think it is either £4.20 or £4.72 (This was the old 'trained' wage for 16/17yr olds but I think you might start on it now). All in all it's ok, slightly more intereseting than other shops as (you might) get to move around departments, e.g. front desk, books, multimedia (cds/dvds/games).

In your application/ interview they will ask you what product you're 'passionate about' e.g. DVDs etc! Why you are better than other applicants, what are your strengths. They might also ask you the dreaded what are your weaknesses. (might want to prepare?)

Good Luck:smile:
Reply 2
Thank you very much! that's very useful. I've never had an interview before so I didn't really have any idea what they would ask me but now I can be prepared so thanks :smile:
I work in WHSmith.

I get paid 4.90 as a trainee Sales Assitant and I am 17.

I am on the "News Department" which involves going on the tills and managing the magazines i.e. putting A-Z of magazines out every week and when I do overtime, I help to put out all the magazines that have been delievered that morning.

I have also been given extra responsiblity managing the front of the shop floor (after 3 weeks :tongue:) and building queuing systems, tidying the till point and my new favourite putting out the drinks and confectionary! I love it!

In my interview I got asked a number of things:
- I had to sell 3 books: they were on 3 for 2 so you have to mention that if given.
- Strengths/Weaknesses
- Tell me a bit about yourself...
- Would you be comfortable with "add on" sales. For this say, I would definetly be. What I'd say would be "we are doing.... for ..... Which ones can I tempt you with/what ones do you want"?
- When have you worked in teams
- When are you available. Say: all the time, especially since it is the holidays.
- What do your friends think about you?
- Smile NONE STOP and LAUGH CONSTANTLY.

Edited: Working in WHSmiths. Its a good place to work if everyone is friendly. It can be quite stressful when queues are really big and people are moaning at each other.

If you need any MORE help PM/or post here.

Good Luck.
Reply 4
lol my friend got a bit stressed cos they cut the discounts from 25% to 12.5%!!!! lol!
Even with 25% Smiths would still be more expensive that other shops.
Reply 6
lol :p: it's good when they do the audits you can get dirt cheap stuff, like DVDs for 99p :smile:

Forgot about the rest of those Qs, it seems like such a long time that interview, I think you should also practice your handshake as well, seriously make sure it is not too strong but not too weak as I had to shake the managers hand at the beginning and the end of the interview, when they say when do you want to work be careful not too be wanting overtime all the time, say like everyday in the holidays, just say I'm available if you want me. If you're lucky like me you will get it every day of the holidays :p: around £1200 for 8 weeks work :smile:

Likewise got any more Qs just post them up.
Reply 7
i have handed my CV into my local smiths. really not sure i am going to get a job this summer although i really need one. handed in an application to toys r us though and smiths, burtons, and blacks outdoors all have my cv. got an application for pc world but i am up against at least 150 others for that and i have an application for next although that wouldnt be until after the summer as the new store opens in september
i work in pc world, was up against 10 other people for every job available and got the job, with no previous experience so im sure you will be ok if you get an interview. Its ok, moneys good and they look after you but im fed up with working sundays now. saw an advert in lidl for cashiers 7.10 an hour! im so applying lol
Reply 9
Did these stores have advertised vacancies? Or did you just hand in your CV? I'm going to be looking for a job this summer once I've moved house
Posted my CV directly to the manager. I was phoned up the day after he recieved it and asked to attend an interview on the Saturday. Job was offered to me on the Sunday.
Reply 11
What's working in PC world like then? Is it just general working on tills/stacking/shelving?
everything. I do tills mostly but im on the service team so i process refunds book pcs in and out to be repaired, deal with angry customers whos pc has blown up, queries, admin work, banking, processing finance agreements, stocking sheleves tidying up, recieve deliverys, blow up balloons, meet and great, and sell cover items and sometimes printers and other small things. Its about as interesting as retail gets really cus its quite varied, but after 2 yrs im bored out my head and am fed up of working sundays! lol.
Reply 13
sheepgirl
Did these stores have advertised vacancies? Or did you just hand in your CV? I'm going to be looking for a job this summer once I've moved house

I just went round to every shop (I wouldn't mind working in - you can't be too picky though!) in my local shopping centre and asked did they have any vacancies, then made a note of which ones did.

Then I went home wrote a good CV, a page is supposedly the best, keep it short and to the point, then I wrote a covering letter, dear sir/ madam I went into your shop today to ask for vacancies and was told to hand my CV in, etc.

If a shop hands you an application form obviously go home and fill it in, you may want to photocopy it just in case, as if you have crosses on it etc. it doesn't look very good.
Reply 14
I handed my CV in on Friday and I still have not had a response. Should I just give up? or would it be a good idea to call them?
My WH must get about 30 odd CVs/application forms a week. You'll just need to wait and see if you get lucky.

I sent 8 letters out to shops and only 2 of them got back to me 6-8 weeks later...
Reply 16
Not worth workin 4 them !
Davie_Moyes
I work in WHSmith.

I get paid 4.90 as a trainee Sales Assitant and I am 17.

I am on the "News Department" which involves going on the tills and managing the magazines i.e. putting A-Z of magazines out every week and when I do overtime, I help to put out all the magazines that have been delievered that morning.

I have also been given extra responsiblity managing the front of the shop floor (after 3 weeks :tongue:) and building queuing systems, tidying the till point and my new favourite putting out the drinks and confectionary! I love it!

In my interview I got asked a number of things:
- I had to sell 3 books: they were on 3 for 2 so you have to mention that if given.
- Strengths/Weaknesses
- Tell me a bit about yourself...
- Would you be comfortable with "add on" sales. For this say, I would definetly be. What I'd say would be "we are doing.... for ..... Which ones can I tempt you with/what ones do you want"?
- When have you worked in teams
- When are you available. Say: all the time, especially since it is the holidays.
- What do your friends think about you?
- Smile NONE STOP and LAUGH CONSTANTLY.

Edited: Working in WHSmiths. Its a good place to work if everyone is friendly. It can be quite stressful when queues are really big and people are moaning at each other.

If you need any MORE help PM/or post here.

Good Luck.

fag :wink:
Reply 18
Ashtray88
I handed my CV in on Friday and I still have not had a response. Should I just give up? or would it be a good idea to call them?

Give them a week or two at least, when I applied it took about a month for them to get back to me, it might be an idea to ring them as it shows your keen but give them time :smile:
Reply 19
wednesburywench
everything. I do tills mostly but im on the service team so i process refunds book pcs in and out to be repaired, deal with angry customers whos pc has blown up, queries, admin work, banking, processing finance agreements, stocking sheleves tidying up, recieve deliverys, blow up balloons, meet and great, and sell cover items and sometimes printers and other small things. Its about as interesting as retail gets really cus its quite varied, but after 2 yrs im bored out my head and am fed up of working sundays! lol.

Cool. I was thinking of applying somewhere like PC world, might send my CV off after the exams. And I'm not too far from Wednesbury (well Im not close) living in the west mids, maybe I can have your job :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending