The Student Room Group

January SAT test

I'm considering retaking the SAT reasoning test in January. But not all unis will guarantee that they can receive the scores before making their decisions.

When the uni websites say:

"All SAT testing must be completed by the January test date."

or

"If you intend to submit the SAT I and SAT II Subject Tests, you should plan on completing your testing as follows: Regular Decision - no later than January, and preferably by December."

Do they mean that January scores will definitely be considered for admissions?

Reply 1
Hi!
I seem to be in the same position as you. I'm an international student and I missed the deadline for the December SAT test...so i've been thinking abt registering for the test in Jan. However, I can only sit for SAT II in May since there's nothin inbetween Jan & May. So I have no idea if theunis will accept late SAT 2 scores, so i've e-mailed them and am still awaiting a reply. R u an international student as well? If you don't mind me asking, where r u thinkin of applyin to?
As for ur question:
"Do they mean that January scores will definitely be considered for admissions?"- certain Unis such as Harvard and Yale will accept scores durin this month but it doesn't guarantee that they haven't already made their decision by the time they've received ur scores. It's best to contact the universities directly because I'm not entirely sure.

Btw, are u thinkin of sittin for SAT subject tests as well?

thnx!
Reply 2
Hypogene X
Hi!
I seem to be in the same position as you. I'm an international student and I missed the deadline for the December SAT test...so i've been thinking abt registering for the test in Jan. However, I can only sit for SAT II in May since there's nothin inbetween Jan & May. So I have no idea if theunis will accept late SAT 2 scores, so i've e-mailed them and am still awaiting a reply. R u an international student as well? If you don't mind me asking, where r u thinkin of applyin to?
As for ur question:
"Do they mean that January scores will definitely be considered for admissions?"- certain Unis such as Harvard and Yale will accept scores durin this month but it doesn't guarantee that they haven't already made their decision by the time they've received ur scores. It's best to contact the universities directly because I'm not entirely sure.

Btw, are u thinkin of sittin for SAT subject tests as well?

thnx!

Hi,
I'm not in exactly the same position as you are. I've already taken the SAT once and got a bad score so I'd like to retake it. For SAT subject tests, I've just taken maths level 2 on Saturday and will be taking Biology and US history in December.
Yes, I'm an international applicant as well.
I'm not totally where I'm applying to because I'm applying for UK unis as well and if I get an offer from LSE before the US deadlines, I'll only be applying for the very top ones. And it depends on whether or not SAT scores from January are accepted.
I think I'll probably email/call a few unis tonight to check.
Thanks and Good Luck with SATs and applications :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks and goodluck to u too!!!
gyyy2807
I'm considering retaking the SAT reasoning test in January. But not all unis will guarantee that they can receive the scores before making their decisions.
You got a pretty decent score though :s-smilie:

When the uni websites say:

"All SAT testing must be completed by the January test date."

Effectively, you must do it by December
or

"If you intend to submit the SAT I and SAT II Subject Tests, you should plan on completing your testing as follows: Regular Decision - no later than January, and preferably by December."

Do they mean that January scores will definitely be considered for admissions?

You won't be penalised (probably) but it makes admin faster if you do it by the December round. Thats the preference here
Reply 5
Stricof
You got a pretty decent score though :s-smilie:

Effectively, you must do it by December

You won't be penalised (probably) but it makes admin faster if you do it by the December round. Thats the preference here

Yeah but I still want a higher score. And I think I'm capable of a higher score (hope that doesn't sound too cocky).
Only problem is not all unis guarantee that Jan scores will arrive on time to be considered.
gyyy2807
Yeah but I still want a higher score. And I think I'm capable of a higher score (hope that doesn't sound too cocky).
Only problem is not all unis guarantee that Jan scores will arrive on time to be considered.
Well it shouldnt be a problem, you can send them off inidivudually.
Im doing mine on paper anyway...the same one Hardvard gave me to write on..+ photocopy the CommApp form for the other unis.
Reply 7
Stricof
Well it shouldnt be a problem, you can send them off inidivudually.
Im doing mine on paper anyway...the same one Hardvard gave me to write on..+ photocopy the CommApp form for the other unis.

What do you mean by send them off individually?
You applying to Harvard? I think you've got a good shot :smile:
gyyy2807
What do you mean by send them off individually?
You applying to Harvard? I think you've got a good shot :smile:
You send the application to each uni seperately? with a seperate application form...
Na not yet....Harvard sent me a thing with a application form and a scholarship brochure + letter and about eligibility and requirement....Joy :colonhash:
Reply 9
Stricof
You send the application to each uni seperately? with a seperate application form...
Na not yet....Harvard sent me a thing with a application form and a scholarship brochure + letter and about eligibility and requirement....Joy :colonhash:

Oh right yeah - I thought you meant sending the scores separately.
And wow :eek: that's great! I'd definitely apply if I were you.
gyyy2807
And wow that's great! I'd definitely apply if I were you.
Meh...we'll see.
I still need to rack up another 2250-2300 in SAT II to be eligible for 90% scholarship, which is what im aiming for or no point me going at all.
Reply 11
Stricof
Meh...we'll see.
I still need to rack up another 2250-2300 in SAT II to be eligible for 90% scholarship, which is what im aiming for or no point me going at all.

Why not? A degree from Harvard will allow you to have any job you want. Plus, can't you just get financial aid instead.
gyyy2807
Why not? A degree from Harvard will allow you to have any job you want. Plus, can't you just get financial aid instead.
Hahaha....no mate, Im not interested in getting a degree for the job, otherwise I would have done Maths.
I'd prefer to be an Academic, so I want everything to be merit based.
And the scholarship is part of finacial aid?:confused:
Reply 13
Stricof
Hahaha....no mate, Im not interested in getting a degree for the job, otherwise I would have done Maths.
I'd prefer to be an Academic, so I want everything to be merit based.
And the scholarship is part of finacial aid?:confused:

You mean like a professor and do university research? My dad's one of them.
I think a scholarship is merit-based (or sometimes sport-based), but financial aid is like a bursary or a student loan.
gyyy2807
You mean like a professor and do university research? My dad's one of them.
I think a scholarship is merit-based (or sometimes sport-based), but financial aid is like a bursary or a student loan.
Scholarships are also applicable to those who cannot afford to go to college/uni otherwise.
But generally, yes, merit based. And sport is merit too :yes: So is debating and musical...
And yes, like your dad :yes:
EDIT: 2000th post :woo:
Reply 15
Stricof
Scholarships are also applicable to those who cannot afford to go to college/uni otherwise.
But generally, yes, merit based. And sport is merit too :yes: So is debating and musical...
And yes, like your dad :yes:
EDIT: 2000th post :woo:

I see now. Just been on the Harvard website and they call it scholarships but I think at other unis it's called financial aid rather than scholarships.
What field(s)? My dad does materials science and engineering.
And :congrats: Overlord in Training now right?
gyyy2807
I see now. Just been on the Harvard website and they call it scholarships but I think at other unis it's called financial aid rather than scholarships.
What field(s)? My dad does materials science and engineering.
And :congrats: Overlord in Training now right?
No idea...it probably is Overlord :yes:
Well to be fair to them, scholarship is in the context of financial aid.
Take a look at this wiki (Dare i say it:teehee:) article - clicky
History good sir :hat2:
Im thinking the History of Ideas or Economic and Social History :yes:
Reply 17
Stricof
No idea...it probably is Overlord :yes:
Well to be fair to them, scholarship is in the context of financial aid.
Take a look at this wiki (Dare i say it:teehee:) article - clicky
History good sir :hat2:
Im thinking the History of Ideas or Economic and Social History :yes:

Cool :yep: I dunno if there's a nobel prize in history but if there is I look forward to hearing you being nominated in a few years time :biggrin:
May i direct people here? Clicky
General discuss area :awesome:

Latest

Trending

Trending