The Student Room Group

Royal navy basic training at HMS Raleigh, cornwall

Just a few questions about royal navy basic training at hms raleigh. I've passed my interview and will be starting in around 5 months, so roughly june, so that gives me plenty of time to prepare and get in shape.
I just wanted to know if anyone has any experience of raleigh, what was is like? Did you enjoy it, good/bad aspects etc. Also, its a nine week training course, so does that means nine weeks solid, or do you get the 5th week off, ie: split into two 4 week blocks?
Any general comments and advice is welcome, thanks
n/m
hiya,
my boyfriend is currently at raleigh at the moment, in his 4th week there and hopefully training to be a weapons engineer.

in reply to your questions, its nine weeks solid, but if you are lucky like my boyfriend where xmas falls in your time at raleigh you will gt 2 weeks xmas leave. however considering you said you are starting in june this wont occur for you im afraid! i think you may get leave for bereavements and other personal issues, however you will get 'backclassed' a week and you will be put in a different group of people who you didnt train with before. at the end of your 4h week, you get the chance to leave permenantly if you wish (you originally will sign a contract on the 1st day entitling you to belong for the navy for 28 days) so if you realise the navy isnt for you then will be your chance.

having said this my boyfriend loves it, its very easy to make friends in the group as youll be sharing a 'mess' with 30 other people...at the end of the 2nd/3rd week you have whats called 'sods opera' which is when the recruits do a mini pantomime related to the navy. you also get to finally take the mick out of your petty officers! my boyfriend had to wear a dress and make up as he played dorothy in their version of the wizard of oz, just warning you!!

any other questions about the navy feel free to message me, hope this has helped! x
tea_or_coffee?
Just a few questions about royal navy basic training at hms raleigh. I've passed my interview and will be starting in around 5 months, so roughly june, so that gives me plenty of time to prepare and get in shape.
I just wanted to know if anyone has any experience of raleigh, what was is like? Did you enjoy it, good/bad aspects etc. Also, its a nine week training course, so does that means nine weeks solid, or do you get the 5th week off, ie: split into two 4 week blocks?
Any general comments and advice is welcome, thanks

I've done it, yeah. The best bit about it is that afterwards you'll never need to do it again. Oh wait, I did it again...

Some people find it hard but providing you're fit and aren't stupid it'll be easy enough. The aim of Raleigh is to deprive you of sleep, it's the easiest way of putting you under stress - so get used to having 9 weeks of little sleep and screwed up sleep patterns and you'll be fine.

No, I didn't enjoy it. It's pointless and it's ****, there's nothing to enjoy about it - it doesn't prepare you for military life because military life is easy and absolutely nothing like basic training. All it does is show that you're capable of digging in when you need to - which *could* happen on operations etc, but normal life, you can forget everything you learn during basic.

I did Raleigh when it used to be 8 weeks, then again when they changed my service number to a 3000 and did the 9 week one so anything you want to know feel free to ask. I'm not on as often as I used to be but I will get round to replying. :smile:

:top:
Yeah, cheers Good bloke, and for the warning points. Loser.

:top:
Reply 5
Does anybody know if you have to do basic training again if you have already done it once. ive done 4.5 years service previous and really dont wanna redo it again.
Reply 6
Original post by davidk1593
Does anybody know if you have to do basic training again if you have already done it once. ive done 4.5 years service previous and really dont wanna redo it again.

Go and talk to your AFCO. It depends on how long you have been out.
Reply 7
What's the pay on basic training
Original post by Jwb319
What's the pay on basic training

£14,931
Reply 9
Anyone got the kit list for Raleigh ?

Latest