The Student Room Group

Law Degree at Northumbria! Advantage, Disadvantage or neither?

Hey guys! I've recently discovered that Northumbria combines the LPC/BVC into their degree course at an additional cost of £900 per year. I know that it isn't really a prestigious university, and this is my main concern. It's about the same distance away from me as QMUL and just a little bit further away than Warwick.

As no other universities offer this, I was wondering if it was an added advantage or doesn't it make a difference?

It was going to be my last choice but after realising this it seems quite a practical option (having the lower conditional offer and the LPC in the bank, as it were).

I appreciate your input.
Reply 1
The ability for somebody to embark upon the LPC at any of the relevant providers depends largely, if not primarily, upon their ability to pay for it. I suspect that combining the course with an LLB is more of a marketing ploy than it is anything else. In the current market a lot of emplyers (albeit at the top firms) are actually sending their applicants to specific providers; on that basis alone it may not prove too useful in the long-term.

£900 is incredibly cheap though and if you're not aiming to work at a firm which specifies the relevant provider then from a purely economic perspective it's certainly a good call. But, at least to my mind, not to the extent which would justify rejecting offers from any of your other choices.

On a less relevant note, sorry I didn't get the chance to sort out your PM, Jakko. I signed out before receiving it and figured that your deadline has passed. I can take a look at it for you sometime this weekend but that probably won't be of much help to you now...
Reply 2
Thanks MrDeeds! Yeah it is too late for the coursework but don't worry! You weren't obliged by any means to look at it! :smile:

The LPC is the automatic route so basically unless u apply for the BVC or only do 3 years you will do the LPC.

The maximum number of BVC places on the exempting degree is 20. Students choose whether to take it in mid 2nd year (all students are on the common exempting course until the end of 2nd year). To get on the BVC you have to have at least 50% and a reasonable attendance record with a pass in the 2nd year in a litigation and evidence test. If there are more than 20 applicants (which is not that common but sometimes happens) then the choice is dependent mainly upon the scores achieved by students in 2nd year (those with the best results are favoured).

Just an extract from what they told me!

I suppose my main concern would be the difficulty of getting a place on the LPC; I would imagine competition is though?
Reply 3
So you would be doing a 3 year LLB alongside the LPC/BVC? I hate to think what it would be like combining an LLB with the BVC - the BVC and LPC should be treated as highly intensive courses, which, I'm sure in many views, should be taken once you have passed an LLB or CPE. Not only that, but the 3 year LLB typically allows students to develop legal skills at a reasonable pace, allowing for debating and societies. I'd think about how many mini-pupillages, vac. schemes, etc, you will be able to fit in on such an intensive course.

Which student is most employable?

-One which has gone to a lesser university, scraped an upper second in law, and also passed the LPC by the skin of their teeth or
-One which has done law over three years at a top uni, and then spent a year on the LPC
Reply 4
mj2010x
So you would be doing a 3 year LLB alongside the LPC/BVC? I hate to think what it would be like combining an LLB with the BVC - the BVC and LPC should be treated as highly intensive courses, which, I'm sure in many views, should be taken once you have passed an LLB or CPE. Not only that, but the 3 year LLB typically allows students to develop legal skills at a reasonable pace, allowing for debating and societies. I'd think about how many mini-pupillages, vac. schemes, etc, you will be able to fit in on such an intensive course.

Which student is most employable?

-One which has gone to a lesser university, scraped an upper second in law, and also passed the LPC by the skin of their teeth or
-One which has done law over three years at a top uni, and then spent a year on the LPC

On starting the Northumbria LLB you automatically take the LPC route unless you only take 3 years or apply for the BVC (this means that the LPC/BVC will mostly be done in the 4th year but you will learn elements of both during the duration of the degree.

Even if you only choose the 3 year course you are still eligible to pay the additional fees of £900pa.
Reply 5
Dont think its worth it really. It would seem kinda foolish to pass up a place like Warwick to go Northunbria just cos it guarantees you a place on the LPC/BVC when as far as I know there is little competition for these places and as long as you can pay the fees you will get a place.
Reply 6
I am currently studying Law at Northumbria, so I thought I was one of the best people to respond to your question. I am aware that I maybe slightly biased, however this is my opinion.

The degree is a massive advantage, not just in terms of incorporating the LPC/BVC into your studies, however it is one of the most 'practical' law programmes available.

My friend has just completed a Law degree at Newcastle, and he is finding it increasingly difficult to do the LPC at Northumbria due to gaining no practical skills. In your first year you will be doing bail applications, drafting contracts, legal aid applications and much more 'hands on' education, rather than sat down with a book reading.

Law firms, especially in the North East have a massive interest in people that graduate from Northumbria, due to the skills they have gained. If you come on an open day, you will see the £70,000,000 campus and meet the fantastic academics that lead the programme.

Your chances of gaining an LPC/BVC contract are very limited, so I think it is rather silly to turn down a degree that incorporates it into your degree.

Most people on here are becoming obsessed with going to a higher institute, but if I can just reinforce that a Law degree at Northumbria, is on Masters level. So you won;t just get a normal Law degree, it will be a Masters degree, combined with the LPC/BVC - whose chances of employment are higher?

If you need any advice, or want to talk about Law at Northumbria, feel free to let me know. However I would seriously consider the financial and practical benefits of Northumbria.

Thanks! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending