The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

im muslim on paper. dont really believe in god but have followed religion to be nice to parents. drink at uni but not at home and enjoy every minute of it.
Reply 21
ibysaiyan
Same here no drinky ;p, lols dads got cirrhosis guess how o.0

really... by drinking?
Reply 22
Tasted it once by mistake (long story). But haven't since. Even if it wasn't frowned upon I still don't think I would.
I went to church and was baptised but I wouldn't consider myself Christian by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't think you count as Muslim if your drinking and what-not, since its fairly straight forward that drinking and Islam do not mix at all (unlike some drinks, wo0p!).
Reply 24
Never have, lol, hope I never will.
Reply 25
i used to drink quite a bit before
but i was diagnosed with liver disease (wasn't related to alcohol consumption)
so i dont really anymore
so technically i wouldnt be considered a muslim by religious muslims would i?
does drinking maybe once every 3 months make me a bad person to all you devout muslims?
i have asked this before to my religious friends and all they do is look down on me and pass judgement
its my god damn life
Reply 26
someday.
i used to drink quite a bit before
but i was diagnosed with liver disease (wasn't related to alcohol consumption)
so i dont really anymore
so technically i wouldnt be considered a muslim by religious muslims would i?
does drinking maybe once every 3 months make me a bad person to all you devout muslims?
i have asked this before to my religious friends and all they do is look down on me and pass judgement
its my god damn life

Nobody should judge.

But you do realise if you drink, your prayers are not accepted for 40 days...

So each time you drink (lets say once every 3 months like you said) for 40 days afterwards your prayers will not be accepted BUT that doesn't mean you shouldn't pray (you still have to pray as it's a must do)... it just means you will not get the rewards for praying!

That's assuming you pray... If you don't pray at all then tbh it doesn't really matter if you drink or not as praying (5 times a day) is needed to be a muslim.
Well, i'm not Muslim...

My friend is, he's tasted alcohol and got near enough to drunk before, but hey he likes to be proper and avoid it as much as possible.

The only thing that irritates me about his reluctance to drink is that is forms a some kind of paranoia about clubs being a drinking den where he'd get lured in, it really starts annoying you when one of your 'best' friends can't even bring himself to frequent any place outside of his own town or even go for a night out with you, imagine Yes Man, before the yes.

Or well, that was the case at least, he's been to a party since, but hey.
I'm muslim never tried it and never planning on..the effects it has on ur body..I'd like not To have liver disease thank you plus it stinks and is disgusting so I don't kno why people like it lol
Reply 29
judicious
Nobody should judge.

But you do realise if you drink, your prayers are not accepted for 40 days...

So each time you drink (lets say once every 3 months like you said) for 40 days afterwards your prayers will not be accepted BUT that doesn't mean you shouldn't pray (you still have to pray as it's a must do)... it just means you will not get the rewards for praying!

That's assuming you pray... If you don't pray at all then tbh it doesn't really matter if you drink or not as praying (5 times a day) is needed to be a muslim.

yeah agreed...its not our place to judge as muslims, and there are a lot of aspects to islam, its not just about drinking....
saying that ive never heard of the whole 40 days after no prayer accepting thing !
Reply 30
_anum
yeah agreed...its not our place to judge as muslims, and there are a lot of aspects to islam, its not just about drinking....
saying that ive never heard of the whole 40 days after no prayer accepting thing !

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/27143/drinking
Muslim and NEVER tried it and Insha'Allah I never will. If in the future I was to lead a life of alcohol and drugs, I pray for God to take my life before that happens.
Reply 32

beautiful haadith, learn something new everyday....
Reply 33
_anum
beautiful haadith, learn something new everyday....

Indeed, one must never stop learning!
Reply 34
judicious
Indeed, one must never stop learning!

haha .... ageed, ive still got a lot to learn....
Reply 35
Anonymous
Well, i'm not Muslim...

My friend is, he's tasted alcohol and got near enough to drunk before, but hey he likes to be proper and avoid it as much as possible.

The only thing that irritates me about his reluctance to drink is that is forms a some kind of paranoia about clubs being a drinking den where he'd get lured in, it really starts annoying you when one of your 'best' friends can't even bring himself to frequent any place outside of his own town or even go for a night out with you, imagine Yes Man, before the yes.

Or well, that was the case at least, he's been to a party since, but hey.

That's the only thing that might bother me about having a tee total friend (whatever their reasons are). It's fine if they don't drink, why should I care about that? Now I think about it, I have friends that rarely drink, but I don't really even notice. But if they avoided any situation where people are drinking, there wouldn't really even be much point in being friends with them.
Please keep anon or delete.

Hmm, i have. Only since i started uni. Had a really bad experience :frown: , and after that it kind of lost its appeal. I think one of the reasons i did was that most other muslims at my uni did, so the frowning upon wasnt there ( I know thats no reason to go and do anything). But i havent drank since, and dont intend to. (My god, that sounded like a confession at AA).
Reply 37
halii_94
I'm muslim never tried it and never planning on..the effects it has on ur body..I'd like not To have liver disease thank you plus it stinks and is disgusting so I don't kno why people like it lol

just because someone drinks occationally or even regularly doesn't mean they're going to get liver disease, if this was the case i think most students would have it.
they're so many ways of transmission, that dont involve alcohol
e.g a blood transfusion before 1991, mother to child etc etc
I love a nice cold beer after work
Reply 39
someday.
just because someone drinks occationally or even regularly doesn't mean they're going to get liver disease, if this was the case i think most students would have it.
they're so many ways of transmission, that dont involve alcohol
e.g a blood transfusion before 1991, mother to child etc etc

I heard that to get liver disease from alcohol you really have to drink a lot for a long, sustained period of time. Even if you go on a week long bender, if you stay off the booze for a few months afterwards, your liver will fix itself. As long as you give your liver a chance to heal you probably won't get liver disease.

Latest

Trending

Trending