The Student Room Group

Applying after 22 January? *Info Here!*

The deadline for equal consideration has been and gone – but this does not mean that you can’t still apply for uni for 2010. However, there are some additional points you need to consider, so as not to waste your choices.

First of all, there’s no rush to submit a late application. Late is late, whether the application goes in on 23 January or 29 June. As Unis will be processing the applications they did receive before the deadline, they may not know for a few weeks yet whether they can consider any more. So, though it may seem odd, it can be better, at this stage (late Jan) to wait for a while. By the middle of February unis will be notifying UCAS whether they will be in Extra and if so for which courses.

Secondly, though the Extra application route itself is open only to people who have used up their five choices and are not holding an offer, the Extra listings do provide for late applicants a guide (and it is only that) to which unis/courses are still accepting applications. You do not have to be eligible to use the Extra application route to be able to apply for these places. Until Extra opens, it is not possible to tell from the UCAS site which unis/courses will be in Extra, so if you do decide to apply before then, it is strongly recommended to contact each uni department you are interested in and check that they are still accepting applications. This advice also holds true after Extra has opened at the end of February, because the listings are sometimes out-of-date (or even wrong, especially in the very early days). This
is a link to UCAS Search 2009 which still has the Extra listings - presumably as at June/July 2009. This is not foolproof - and the courses listed are what was on offer in 2009 and may not be the same for 2010 - but gives you some idea until Extra for 2010 starts up on 25 February.

Everyone – whether a Home/EU or an International candidate – can submit an application for immediate consideration up until 30 June. After that, all applications are held over until Clearing in mid August. In practice the January deadline for equal consideration applies to international students too; the only difference is that it may take longer for a uni to fill up the places they've allocated for international applicants than it does the ones allocated for the Home/EU people. [This is why, when it comes to Clearing, you may see "international applicants only" against published vacancies at some universities.] The student from the US applying to LSE, or to Durham for History, on 16 January (23 January in 2010) is wasting his/her time, but once you are beyond the top ten and/or highly competitive subjects like Economics/History/Law/English the prospects for consideration even at relatively highly ranked unis can be pretty good for Home/EU as well as International applicants. However, if in doubt, check.

All other aspects of the application process remain the same. You will need a good PS – the PS Help forum is still open though you may wait a little longer for a review than previously – and you will need your reference as before. The general advice in the How to Avoid Getting 5 Rejections thread applies to late applicants too.

See also Applying for 2010.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can I still apply?

I have suddenly decided to apply to UK. But the deadline has passed. The UCAS site says you can still apply:

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/news/january/afterdeadline

Is it...safe? As in, can I still apply to universities like UCL, Warwick, Bristol, etc?

Academic information is in my sig. if that's of any relevance.
Yeah you can but you won't get first refusal - if all the places are taken (which at the uni's you mentioned they most likely will be), you'll have to look elsewhere. Best thing to do is look at previous clearing lists for your subject to get a good idea of what uni's have places left (obviously it won't be the same each year but there's usually a bit of a pattern) and go from there.
Reply 3
CrookedLegs
Best thing to do is look at previous clearing lists for your subject to get a good idea of what uni's have places left

Where can I see that?
Reply 4
telling from what's been happening in the past couple of weeks, alot of people are going to flop this year, I'd go for it.
Go for it if you want but if you're applying to a popular course most of the places would have been filled already. You'd probably find a place through clearing as places will become available from those who haven't met the requirements but be prepared to take a gap year if need be.
Reply 6
Nah, I am applying to US as well.

I plan to do Electronic Engineering, is that a competitive course?
Reply 7
Can't you apply through UCAS extra?
I'd still go for it anyway, you don't have much to less except for the ucas fees.
Anyways, clearing was crap last year.
aura1947
Where can I see that?

type in clearing list 08 (think that's as recently as you can get) on TSR or google.
pamelaa
Can't you apply through UCAS extra?
I'd still go for it anyway, you don't have much to less except for the ucas fees.
Anyways, clearing was crap last year.

You don't need to apply through UCAS Extra. If you haven't yet applied for this year, as the OP hasn't, then they can still make a normal application except that it will not be considered equally with those who applied before the deadline. Therefore, yes, you can apply as normal but it is worth checking with the universities you intend to apply to before submitting your application, to make sure that they will actually consider your application. If not, then there is no point! The fact that you are an international applicant (I'm guessing?) may well go in your favour as the places are allocated differently.
Reply 10
F1 fanatic
You don't need to apply through UCAS Extra. If you haven't yet applied for this year, as the OP hasn't, then they can still make a normal application except that it will not be considered equally with those who applied before the deadline. Therefore, yes, you can apply as normal but it is worth checking with the universities you intend to apply to before submitting your application, to make sure that they will actually consider your application. If not, then there is no point! The fact that you are an international applicant (I'm guessing?) may well go in your favour as the places are allocated differently.

It's still an option though.
pamelaa
It's still an option though.

yes... but on Extra you can only apply to one choice at a time, so a normal application would be better. Until someone has used their 5 choices and withdrawn/been rejected from all of them then there is no need for the normal Extra process. Indeed, I'm not sure that it it even available in that situation.
Reply 12
good luck
Reply 13
Hi! Does anyone know whether we can change our personal statements if we're applying through extra? Also any rough ideas when extra will be open this year? Thanks (:
Reply 14
theremedy
Hi! Does anyone know whether we can change our personal statements if we're applying through extra? Also any rough ideas when extra will be open this year? Thanks (:
You might find Extra helpful :smile:
Reply 15
Minerva

wow okay great thanks! that was really helpful and informative. thanks (:
Reply 16
Minerva

Sorry to be a pain! But I've another question.. Since extra only opens towards the end of the month, do you think it's too early to be contacting the unis to ask if they'd consider my application for extra and asking if I could submit a new statement etc... or should I wait till nearer the date? Also does anyone know how long the unis usually take to get back after applying through extra.. or is it really subjective like how it was for the normal apps! Any advice will be useful, I'm so stressed and clueless! Thanks in advance (:
Reply 17
theremedy
Sorry to be a pain! But I've another question.. Since extra only opens towards the end of the month, do you think it's too early to be contacting the unis to ask if they'd consider my application for extra and asking if I could submit a new statement etc... or should I wait till nearer the date? Also does anyone know how long the unis usually take to get back after applying through extra.. or is it really subjective like how it was for the normal apps! Any advice will be useful, I'm so stressed and clueless! Thanks in advance (:
As unis are still dealing with the applications they got before the deadline (which was extended, remember, so it may take them longer than usual to decide if they have any spare offers to make) I would wait a week or two yet.

Once you have applied through Extra unis are supposed to respond within 21 days but it doesn't always happen like that. However, if they don't meet that deadline, you can cancel that application and try somewhere else.
I've had to apply late, i got my UCAS application finished today and sent off, which if i'm honest pissed me off a bit because i first applied in October 2008 then got my unconditional place and deffered it for a year until this September. But UCAS shut my old application off so i had to submit a new one even though i got no notification that it had been shut down, the last letter i recieved from UCAS said i had my place and that i didn't have to do anything further :angry:
Charley_Razzles
I've had to apply late, i got my UCAS application finished today and sent off, which if i'm honest pissed me off a bit because i first applied in October 2008 then got my unconditional place and deffered it for a year until this September. But UCAS shut my old application off so i had to submit a new one even though i got no notification that it had been shut down, the last letter i recieved from UCAS said i had my place and that i didn't have to do anything further :angry:

Have you enquired as to why your previous application was closed and whether the offers are still valid?

Latest

Trending

Trending