The Student Room Group

Unlikely to work out with girlfriend?

Well I definitely love my girlfriend a lot and she means so much to me but recently (but not for the first time) I've been having thoughts about our relationship just being destined to fail. I think the root of the problem is the fact that we are very different and I know that opposites attract which is why I think we got together but now that it's been one year and a bit on it seems like that honeymoon period has sort of disappeared.

It's been an one-and-off relationship and we've split up twice before (mainly due to me I'll be honest). I'm more old-fashioned and sort of geeky so I work a lot, read etc. - I guess you could generalise and say I was fairly boring unless you liked what I enjoyed too (like philosophy and economics). She, on the other hand, is much more out-going and fun and goes to parties and things. Now I'm not saying I just stay home all the time, because I don't, but she is much more willing to be confident and meet new people and stuff whilst I'm more happy just hanging out with a small group of friends.

We have talked about our differences and we both know it's the case but we obviously like each other and don't want to end it or anything. I do think though that we have broken up the previous two times because of these differences. I do admit it has been mainly my fault and my clinginess that has caused it but I feel like when I'm with someone I care a lot about them and want to spend a lot of time with them whilst she may feel exactly that way but she is much more relaxed about if we don't see each other for long periods of time and things.
Haha...if this was Anon I'd SWEAR it's my boyfriend. I'm kinda waiting for the right time to talk to my boyfriend about all the above situations. You just have to ask yourself, could you imagine being without her? Why don't you give yourself a 'deadline' so to speak...give it 2 months or something and if things haven't improved by then, maybe it's time for another talk :\
Reply 2
MarmiteOnToast
Haha...if this was Anon I'd SWEAR it's my boyfriend. I'm kinda waiting for the right time to talk to my boyfriend about all the above situations. You just have to ask yourself, could you imagine being without her? Why don't you give yourself a 'deadline' so to speak...give it 2 months or something and if things haven't improved by then, maybe it's time for another talk :\

Well not really. I mean she means the world to me and it was pretty much hell when we weren't together. I don't think the things I mentioned can really change though, I think that's just the type of people we are and I wouldn't want her to change herself massively just for me.
It sounds like you have a good attitude towards your personalities and it's great that you don't expect her to change. She'll never be perfect to you, as you'll never be perfect to her, which makes you perfect for other. Try to focus on what you have got and the rest should just come naturally. Good luck in whichever way your relationship goes.

Latest

Trending

Trending