The Student Room Group

A level choices for medicine - too late to switch an AS option...?

I'm currently taking maths, chem, bio and french. I'm doing ok in the first three, but french I am kinda struggling with.
Basically, I come from a native arabic and french speaking country, and although I can speak french and get by in the language, I'm not completely fluent. I initially decided on picking physics instead, however I got swayed into choosing french as my mum is a french teacher and she kept telling me how useful it would be. I know I could have been firm about my decision but now it's January and I'm hating the subject.
I can't write essays or pieces of writing in English (my eng and eng lit gcse exams comprised of memorising essays written beforehand with the help out notes and regurgitating it in the exam, only reason I did well) and I can't do this for AS French. I suck at grammar and am finding it much more difficult than anything in chem or maths. I'm puzzled at how reading anything in french would help with my exam and am getting pretty stressed over this. As I've learnt nothing since the start of the year, I just want to know if there are any respected subjects I could consider taking up now (I'm guessing college wouldn't let me but perhaps self taught with a home tutor).
My mum thinks I'm giving up too easily, but if I know I can't do it anyway, why bother?
Reply 1
Hello fellow medic wannabe! :wave:
I would say that if you hate French that much, and you don't think you'll get atleast a B in it, then just drop it because there's no point carrying on with it.
I hate Physics, but that's mainly because of my board. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a bad option.
There's no point doing Further Maths since many med schools consider Maths + further Maths as 1 A level only.

I think you should chose between Physics or Eng Lit/History, but since you don't feel too confident with English and essays and all that, then go for History or Geography maybe.

However, you must realise that changing your subject at such a late stage during your AS year will mean a lot of stress since you'd have to do a lot of catching up, on top of Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

Good luck with whatever you want to do though! I would personally keep going with French. Like you, I'm hating Physics, but I'm just going to keep working hard at it and it hooefully will work out at the end. Just think, if others can do it, why can't you!? :smile:
Narik
I would say that if you hate French that much, and you don't think you'll get atleast a B in it, then just drop it because there's no point carrying on with it.
I hate Physics, but that's mainly because of my board. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a bad option.
There's no point doing Further Maths since many med schools consider Maths + further Maths as 1 A level only.

I think you should chose between Physics or Eng Lit/History, but since you don't feel too confident with English and essays and all that, then go for History or Geography maybe.

However, you must realise that changing your subject at such a late stage during your AS year will mean a lot of stress since you'd have to do a lot of catching up, on top of Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

Good luck with whatever you want to do though! I would personally keep going with French. Like you, I'm hating Physics, but I'm just going to keep working hard at it and it hooefully will work out at the end. Just think, if others can do it, why can't you!? :smile:

Thanks. It's just I'm pretty angry at my mum at the moment. I know I could have been firm with the choice to take physics, but I get swayed easily, and she knows that and took advantage of it. I just find it hard to get ideas and make my writing flow, in english and french, and any reading I do do in french I find I'm having to look up practically every word... :frown:
Reply 3
Rainbow-Dream
Thanks. It's just I'm pretty angry at my mum at the moment. I know I could have been firm with the choice to take physics, but I get swayed easily, and she knows that and took advantage of it. I just find it hard to get ideas and make my writing flow, in english and french, and any reading I do do in french I find I'm having to look up practically every word... :frown:

The best thing to do would be to ask your teachers if you would be allowed to drop French and then ask to join a few classes for other subjects you have in mind. If you find a subject you like that wont cause you too much stress, then go for it! Good luck. :biggrin:

Oh and I don't think Physics would be that hard to catch up on, as it's not like you have to memorise concepts or anything. You just have to learn the concepts and be able to apply them, which doesn't involve countless recalling, unlike other subjects, such as French, where you'd have to learn masses of vocab and grammar.
Narik
The best thing to do would be to ask your teachers if you would be allowed to drop French and then ask to join a few classes for other subjects you have in mind. If you find a subject you like that wont cause you too much stress, then go for it! Good luck. :biggrin:

Oh and I don't think Physics would be that hard to catch up on, as it's not like you have to memorise concepts or anything. You just have to learn the concepts and be able to apply them, which doesn't involve countless recalling, unlike other subjects, such as French, where you'd have to learn masses of vocab and grammar.

I guess I could do physics. Everyone I know taking the subject has said it's really difficult but my dad has a degree in physics so I would be able to get help quite easily in the subject. Is it similar to chemistry? I'm not finding chem too hard.
Reply 5
Rainbow-Dream
I guess I could do physics. Everyone I know taking the subject has said it's really difficult but my dad has a degree in physics so I would be able to get help quite easily in the subject. Is it similar to chemistry? I'm not finding chem too hard.

Your luck your parents are well qualified in the subjects you want to take! I would say go for it when you have a walking Physics encylcopedia at home!
Rainbow-Dream
I'm currently taking maths, chem, bio and french. I'm doing ok in the first three, but french I am kinda struggling with.
Basically, I come from a native arabic and french speaking country, and although I can speak french and get by in the language, I'm not completely fluent. I initially decided on picking physics instead, however I got swayed into choosing french as my mum is a french teacher and she kept telling me how useful it would be. I know I could have been firm about my decision but now it's January and I'm hating the subject.
I can't write essays or pieces of writing in English (my eng and eng lit gcse exams comprised of memorising essays written beforehand with the help out notes and regurgitating it in the exam, only reason I did well) and I can't do this for AS French. I suck at grammar and am finding it much more difficult than anything in chem or maths. I'm puzzled at how reading anything in french would help with my exam and am getting pretty stressed over this. As I've learnt nothing since the start of the year, I just want to know if there are any respected subjects I could consider taking up now (I'm guessing college wouldn't let me but perhaps self taught with a home tutor).
My mum thinks I'm giving up too easily, but if I know I can't do it anyway, why bother?

Which exam board are you on for maths? I can only speak for AQA, but it's fairly easy to pick up additional modules that can lead to AS or even A-level further maths (or, in my case, AS additional further maths :s-smilie: ). It's true that many courses only count one maths A-level towards the required three, but as an extra, a decent grade in further maths is better than a bad grade in French. I wouldn't recommend taking up physics at this point, as you'd have to catch up the last unit on top of studying for the next one.
finish of AS french and maybe do Physics AS next year?
Hello!! If you really dislike French then I think you should drop it but I also think it may be a bit too late to take a new subject because its like half way the course at least in all my subjects. If you think you will have time to take a new subject with a home tutor and you will enjoy it then you should go for it. If not then maybe you should think about working more on your French.

Good Luck
Reply 9
I would not advise picking up another subject at this late stage. Your best bet is to carry on with French and drop it in four months time after the exams. You can then pick up another AS Level (I think Physics would be a good choice) after the June exams. Of course, if you are certain that you will fail the French AS, it would be wise to drop it and focus on the other three.

Having said that, I believe that if you stay positive, put your mind to it, and use all the help your mum can give you (my mum taught me GCSE French, and whilst she annoyed the crap out of me, I couldn't have done it without her), you have a good shot at getting a decent grade.
Reply 10
Narik

I do history and the entire exam is essays! It's all thge subject is at You have an hour and 20 minutes to write two huge essays on two different indepth time periods. It's not something you can "regurgitate". DO NOT TAKE HISTORY.

Geography however sounds like a good option. Pretty respected but now so difficult that you couldn't catch up.
I can't say I blame your mum for giving you that advice, she meant well, don't be mad at her :smile:

I'm feeling klingy toward my mum today incase you can't tell!
Reply 12
Smiles_m
I do history and the entire exam is essays! It's all thge subject is at You have an hour and 20 minutes to write two huge essays on two different indepth time periods. It's not something you can "regurgitate". DO NOT TAKE HISTORY.

Geography however sounds like a good option. Pretty respected but now so difficult that you couldn't catch up.

Well you know better than me, but based on what I've heard from my friends taking history, it involves learning a lot of facts and so it would definitely be a better option that English lit, where much of it is about the way you write the essays, while in History it's more about how you use the facts in your essay, which I think the OP is better suited for. But I agree with you that Geography would be her best bet. :smile:
Bio, chem, maths and French are the coolest combo possible :wink:
I assume you are algerian....due to french/arabic...

Unless you don't think you could get a B...don't drop it...

if you don't think you can, drop it, start a new subject....BUT instead of finishing it with your other AS levels in may/june....do the 1st module in may/june and the last 1 in january 2011....then you will have 4 AS...and 3A2...unless you wanna carry on all 4
Reply 15
Narik
Well you know better than me, but based on what I've heard from my friends taking history, it involves learning a lot of facts and so it would definitely be a better option that English lit, where much of it is about the way you write the essays, while in History it's more about how you use the facts in your essay, which I think the OP is better suited for. But I agree with you that Geography would be her best bet. :smile:

I suppose so, you definitely need less independent ideas than in English lit. as long as you can write well, memorise facts and have a semblance of an opinion it's fine.

But to do well in history you must be good at writing a lot, in a short time and be able to structure it well.

Yep OP, take geography. I wish I'd taken it! History is awful, well it's improving now but it gets so dull.

Latest