The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

kinza75
yeh, and we HAD to do a humanity, which i really couldnt be bothered to do

They make you do certain subjects at A-level? That's so unfair- you should have a completely free choice! The only subjects I've heard of people being forced to study are General Studies, Critical Thinking and Religious Studies in religious schools.
Reply 21
kellywood_5
:eek: Sacrelige! Socioloogy rules! :biggrin:

Lol... yeah well tahts's what i thought before there was 25000 names to learn. And wny is EVERYONE called Cohen?
Reply 22
my school rearranged the timetable for me because all the subjects i wanted to do were in the history department with the same teachers :biggrin:
Reply 23
no, gcse...!
kinza75
no, gcse...!

Oh, I see. I had loads of restrictions like that as well. On top of English, English lit, maths, double science, French/German (whichever one you'd learnt at Key Stage 3), and short course RS, everyone had to do a design and technology subject (food, graphics, resistant materials or systems and control) and ICT (either applied GCSE double award or GNVQ Intermediate). Then you could either do another GNVQ (health and social care, leisure and tourism, business or art) or 2 more GCSEs, one humanity (geography, history, business and economics or sociology) and one expressive art (art, textiles, music, drama, PE, dance or media studies). Stupid school :rolleyes:
Reply 25
totally stupid.
Reply 26
For the subject choice 'boxes' or columns, there might be a double award subject that will take up two 'boxes' or columns. This is what happend in my school for double award subjects.
These subject box/grid choices often make it very difficult to mix science and arts (assuming the student is either science or art inclined when designing them). This is a huge disadvantage.
Reply 28
Our school had blocks, but where possible they'd try and move thigns around to suit as many people as possible.

The problem (and the reason) for blocks is that a timetable doesn't just depend on the subject and teachers in that particular year. It depends on rooms and up to another 5 years of pupils. Our school was very restricted on space (only had about one spare classrooms at one point because of building work), and we didn't have an excess of teachers - even a computer couldn't get the timetables right. We ended up having to swap rooms every other day to fit it all in. We also had the complication of having three chem teachers and four maths teachers teaching us to deal with. It's not ideal, but it makes things easier and fairer for everyone in the long run (in my opinion).
Reply 29
At GCSE we had blocks but they weren't really that restrictive. We had to do Maths, English Language, English Lit, D&T Graphics (ugh) at least single Science and ICT (we originally had the choice between GNVQ intermediate and advanced but in the second year they decided to make us all do Double Applied GCSE instead which was part of the reason why I got a D lol)

At A Level though, it was completly different. We had blocks and each block only had like 4 subjects in it. There was the option to take subjects at these two other schools that we were in a consortium with but I couldn't be bothered tbh. Instead I went to a sixth form college where there were still blocks but most subjects were in at least 3 out of 7 blocks so virtually nobody was disadvantaged because of it

Latest