The Student Room Group

I got a CV Problem..

Hi there I have a question about my CV. I have asked different people to look at it including my university CV careers adviser and my current supervisor at my internship.
Background: I have two degree and my main problem is my previous degree where I got a third class. I achieved a 2.1 in my second degree.

Facts:I did not like my previous degree at all. I did not like the people in my course and did not like the university. Only reason I really stayed there was it was a top 5 UK university and wanted the kudos associated with it. I really should have left in first year but i stuck it out and got the degree. Main reason I got the third was i was unhappy and did not focus on my studies. I developed and interest in business and did a second business related degree in another university. I throughly enjoyed my time there and got a 2.1

CV problem: Someone advised me to say I was "diverted by other interests" for the reason I got a third for the degree on my CV. However the careers adviser said I should state I had "extenuating circumstances" as reason for third. My supervisor who used to recruit for civil service said to put down extenuating circumstances as well. But now members of my family are telling me to admit to my mistake on the CV and say I was more focused on computer games to explain the reason I got a third for it.

I need some advice on which strategy I should adopt and how I would explain it at the interview stage. I think extenuating circumstances makes my CV look "better" but then prospective employers could see it in a bad light.
Reply 1
I don't know the answer, but you should definitely NOT write "computer games" on a CV as a reason you didn't do well.
Reply 2
Use extenuating circumstances for gods sake! CVs and application forms at full of lies, mistruths and bull**** anyway!
Reply 3
lol lol lol DON'T say computer games !!
Reply 4
Just be honest. Or hope they don't ask. I mean, you'll probably have to cover yourself if you make it into the interveiw anyway! Guess it depends on your confidence in explaining it?
Reply 5
they do give dumb advice despite the fact that they are well educated and have good jobs. I just dont know who to listen to considering how clever they are.
All i know is putting in computer games is a no no from what you guys are saying.
Any thoughts on saying extenuating circumstances vs not saying extenuating circumstances?
I think extenuating circumstances would be the better option here -- definitely not "computer games". However, you may come a problem if you are interviewed and if they mention this, because I really can't see how this can be seen as an EC when you choose to stick it out. You could put it, then if you get interviewed and they mention it, just explain what you explain that the course and uni was not what you thought it to be, but you decided to stick it out for the duration. This can be seen as something positive, as it can show that even when you dislike something, you are committed. If the job you are going into is related to your second degree rather than your first, explain how you decided to take another course in order to broaden your knowledge on this subject which you came to love during the period of your first degree, and really enjoyed it.
Reply 7
Thank you for that. Anyone else have any ideas about the extenuating circumstances issue and what I would say in an interview?
Why do you even have to put the first degree on your CV? You have a degree you did quite well in. You don't need to put everything you've ever done on your CV.
Reply 9
Pink Bullets
Why do you even have to put the first degree on your CV? You have a degree you did quite well in. You don't need to put everything you've ever done on your CV.

This.
Dude, the fact that you stuck your degree out shows something! Extenuating circumstances is your best option and the idea about 'family pressure' is also a good idea. It's true too, CV's are the biggest bunch of ******** ever! You got a 2:1 in your Business degree and employers will see that! :smile: xx
Reply 11
Pink bullet and quady, I have to put it in otherwise there is a massive gap on my CV (3 years) and it has to be explained. Wouldnt like to give people a CV and make them think that I am hiding something by saying I have not done anything for 3 years. I also like the family pressure idea. I have not thought about that before. I guess I could say I wanted to leave the course as I did not like it and did not like the uni but my parents told me to stay and finish it off as it was a top uni. I would sound like a wimp like what flugestuge said but then id say something like in hindsight I would probably have stood my ground and decided to change universities but hindsight is a ****in wonderful thing
Ramadog
Pink bullet and quady, I have to put it in otherwise there is a massive gap on my CV (3 years) and it has to be explained. Wouldnt like to give people a CV and make them think that I am hiding something by saying I have not done anything for 3 years. I also like the family pressure idea. I have not thought about that before. I guess I could say I wanted to leave the course as I did not like it and did not like the uni but my parents told me to stay and finish it off as it was a top uni. I would sound like a wimp like what flugestuge said but then id say something like in hindsight I would probably have stood my ground and decided to change universities but hindsight is a ****in wonderful thing

How old are you? Did you have a career before your first degree that you don't want to leave out?

If you went straight from school to university to university again, they'll just assume that you're three years younger than you are if you leave the first degree out. There's no need to put the date you finished school, if that's what you're worried about.
Reply 13
Say you were born 3 years before you were and move your dates 3 years. (Make up for the gap)

Alternatives:
- You went travelling
- Car Crash
- Cancer
- Family Member Died
- Drug Abuse
- Change your mark from a third to 2.1

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wvB76Ed6Sg
Reply 14
lol funny. Ill just tell them my surname is einstein and he was my grand father and ill say on my cv that Ive come to the future from 3 years ago so physically I am 3 years younger but my driving license says I was born on this date.
I put my date of birth on my CV so they would know how long I spent on where etc. Maybe I should leave my date of birth out...
Reply 15
Ramadog
I put my date of birth on my CV so they would know how long I spent on where etc. Maybe I should leave my date of birth out...

Yes, its irellavent and legally employers cannot ask your age during the process.

Latest

Trending

Trending