The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The Sun
Skipper Steven Gerrard spent more time rolling around claiming free-kicks than he did using his undoubted quality on the ball

True story.

Hopefully Bendtner would've seen Stevie England's masterpieces yesterday and he can become better at it.
Reply 381
cowsforsale
so you guys think bendter's a better striker than arshavin :O.

Arshavin's not a striker mate; and in case you haven't noticed, we played Arshavin up front in the last 2 games and lost them sweetly. Arshavin hasn't been used in his right position for some time, which to me is just behind the striker. He's a forward, but not a centre forward, if you know what I mean.

Bendtner. :yy:
JK_91
If you discounted yourselves, who would you must like to see take fourth place?

Whilst I'd like the monotony to end and for Liverpool to drop out, if Spurs or City get in there they will have the opportunity to move further ahead of us over time and we won't have a hope of catching a newly established 'Big 5'.

Then again Birmingham making it into the Champions League would be even more painful.

So Liverpool I guess?

Edit: Actually scratch that, with Spurs' revolving door transfer policy it probably wouldn't matter so much if they made it up there as they would no doubt make a hash of it.
Reply 383
Reply 384
Overmars
True story.

Hopefully Bendtner would've seen Stevie England's masterpieces yesterday and he can become better at it.

I'm just going to pretend I never noticed the quote was from The S*n :p: , but the quote is right. He has been like this since last year especially, always crying and falling over. Gerrard is a much better player when he just gets on with the game and uses his athleticism to burst past players. Whereas now he will run towards a player in the hope that he gets the oppurtunity to pratice his gurning technique on the way to crashing in to the floor.

For a lad from Huyton (a ridiculously rough place) and who went to my school that is the height of embarassment. I've known people in school to be given an actual beating for diving about to make sure they have something to cry about.

Fun fact though - Gerrard couldn't even get in to our school team until his final year.
Reply 385
JK_91
^Outside the area and it was a very questionable freekick from where I was standing, the amount of times Webb seemed stand still, look at your players and seemed to say 'Do you fancy a freekick for that one?' was incredible.

The freekick was for the foul on Kuyt, not for the one on Gerrard (which I agree was a clear dive).

It looked like the ball was going in aswell. Didn't see MOTD but apparently they thought so too after looking at the replay.

Fabregas was on the WUM all match though, but Gerrard still shook his hand afterwards.
Singh_2
x

meskell
I'm just going to pretend I never noticed the quote was from The S*n :p: , but the quote is right. He has been like this since last year especially, always crying and falling over. Gerrard is a much better player when he just gets on with the game and uses his athleticism to burst past players. Whereas now he will run towards a player in the hope that he gets the oppurtunity to pratice his gurning technique on the way to crashing in to the floor.

For a lad from Huyton (a ridiculously rough place) and who went to my school that is the height of embarassment. I've known people in school to be given an actual beating for diving about to make sure they have something to cry about.

Well, the thing is...I don't even blame Gerrard for it. Above, I said I hope that Bendtner can take tips and I mean that. If anyone should be blamed, it's the refs. I used to get just as annoyed as everyone else about it but what's the point? If a player knows he can cheat and get away with it...with what's at stake...why wouldn't he cheat?
Singh_2
The freekick was for the foul on Kuyt, not for the one on Gerrard (which I agree was a clear dive).

Right...so in a fair world, the ref books Gerrard for diving. Since the Kuyt incident happens afterwards, Arsenal get the free-kick and the Cesc handball doesn't exist. So what are you crying about now -- that the ref didn't punish our cheating even though he didn't punish yours either?

Fabregas was on the WUM all match though, but Gerrard still shook his hand afterwards.

Cesc was brilliant when the last-minute free-kick was given. The WUMing was indeed top notch. We need more like him.
Reply 389
Michelin Man

That was a good dive tbh. I agree with overmars that it's up to the referees to get diving out of the game. Gerrard is one of the golden boys of English football, along with Rooney and Terry, so I'm not surprised that he gets away with it so much.

It does piss me off because I know he's giving us a bad rep', but then again he's very good at it and uses it as a skill (much like Ronaldo).
Reply 390
Overmars
Well, the thing is...I don't even blame Gerrard for it. Above, I said I hope that Bendtner can take tips and I mean that. If anyone should be blamed, it's the refs. I used to get just as annoyed as everyone else about it but what's the point? If a player knows he can cheat and get away with it...with what's at stake...why wouldn't he cheat?

Also agree with this, it is a 'skill' to be good at diving and it has been on the continent for a long time now. It really needs retrospective punishment and it will be eradicated within a month.
Ronaldo was pretty bad for it a couple of years back, but these days he actually stays on his feet very well indeed, I reckon, and doesn't get enough credit for it. Gerrard has pretty much got worse.

The thing people can't stand most of all is his attitude. Ronaldo, even when he was leaping about the place like a deranged lemming, hardly went around accusing all and sundry of doing it excepting himself . . .

If Gerrard was any less of the quite brilliant player he truly is, and Liverpool were in the middle of an era where copies of him were as common as in the days of Souness et al, most Scousers would be deriding him as a disgrace to the football club. Comments like the above which acclaim "good dives" and "he's very good at it" are just not what I have been used to when talking to Scousers.

Frankly you should be ashamed of yourself and look to the great club you are so lucky to follow. Much like that pathetic captain of yours.
amii_G
Arshavin's not a striker mate; and in case you haven't noticed, we played Arshavin up front in the last 2 games and lost them sweetly. Arshavin hasn't been used in his right position for some time, which to me is just behind the striker. He's a forward, but not a centre forward, if you know what I mean.

Bendtner. :yy:

my bad brah.

I thought the team had to play him for a while and you's did well. Oh well :smile:

bendter's horrible :frown:
Reply 393
Singh_2
Arsenal were absolutely superb last night. Good to see you playing some attractive football, it was a treat to watch. You'll win the league on that performance.

Good luck.

:lolwut: Please tell me your joking?
Reply 394
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/feb/10/sir-alex-ferguson-press

A very good read. Is it fair the Fergie can avoid the main press straight such as the BBC after a game, but everyone else has to answer difficult questions? Sure Fergie does MUTV, but he won't be under as much scrutiny than if he was interviewed by someone that wasn't affiliated to United.
Reply 395
geoff_yin

A very good read. Is it fair the Fergie can avoid the main press straight such as the BBC after a game, but everyone else has to answer difficult questions? Sure Fergie does MUTV, but he won't be under as much scrutiny than if he was interviewed by someone that wasn't affiliated to United.

Yes, he doesn't have to talk to anyone he doesn't want to. He chooses not to speak to the BBC due to the whole Hanson thing. He still speaks to Sky, etc.
Reply 396
This has nothing to do with Arsenal, but this **** is worthy of a thread of its own!

Sepp Blatter is the personification of the word 'fail'. :facepalm:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/02/11/1786309/fifa-chief-sepp-blatter-chelsea-skipper-john-terry-would-be
I've found a new hobby: WUMming animal rights activists in the General Discussion forum. It's pretty fun. Almost as fun as WUMming cfc1992!
amii_G
This has nothing to do with Arsenal, but this **** is worthy of a thread of its own!

Sepp Blatter is the personification of the word 'fail'. :facepalm:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/02/11/1786309/fifa-chief-sepp-blatter-chelsea-skipper-john-terry-would-be

:facepalm2:

I think we need to send in Eboue to assassinate him!
geoff_yin

They don't have to, though. It's their choice...... And the decision not to speak to the BBC is to do with Darren Ferguson, AFAIK.

Besides, surely the 'talking' is done on the football pitch anyway?

Latest