The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ar5enal Fan
I'm sure Eboue could do something about that.

Tbh based on what I've seen of Barcelona over the past 2 seasons, either one of them could easily be lulled into a foul.
Reply 5701
n1r4v
I'm predicting 2-0

Anyway, I'm liking the analysis of the CL game, I'll get back to you on that.
And I'm liking you more and more as a member... you're very welcome in this soc, and I apologise if I ever misjudged you for being a Bolton fan.
Reply 5702
mini_lidi
:frown: I dont think i have a chance getting a ticket, even though i am a red member :frown:
Could a silver member by me a ticket for example if they had my membership number etc?

Also im now gutted, i was a JG from when i was 15, now im 18 and didnt get offered any silver membership :frown: had to buy red!!

JK is correct:

JK_91
Is this for Barca?

No to the silver and red member thing, it doesn't work like that.

Based on something Geoff said about Utd league tickets a few months back, I think the club may hold back 5,000 tickets for reds for each home game so if you get on early enough you'll get a ticket. This may not be true though.

I'm off now but I'm sure others on here will be able to answer any questions you may have. :smile:

Just make sure you're quick, and you should be able to snag one of the 5,000 tickets available to lowly red members like myself. :smile:
Reply 5703
geoff_yin

Just make sure you're quick, and you should be able to snag one of the 5,000 tickets available to lowly red members like myself. :smile:

Unfortunately for you looks like they are not doing that for the Barca game:

In the unlikely event that any tickets remain after the Silver sale have taken place, an announce will be made on Friday 26th March regarding a Red sale.
Reply 5704
GunnerMT
Unfortunately for you looks like they are not doing that for the Barca game:

In the unlikely event that any tickets remain after the Silver sale have taken place, an announce will be made on Friday 26th March regarding a Red sale.

No big deal, I'll be stuck up here in Notts buried in work anyway. :frown:
Reply 5705
Was going to ask if camping outside the box office would allow me to get a ticket. I am desperate... more than desperate.
Reply 5706
This is a draw I wanted but didn't want at the same time.

I wanted it simply because we are up against a proper footballing side, no buses allowed.

However at the same token Arsenal is a team I wanted to avoid because of that fact, they know how to play incisive football.

I disagree with RobbieC about the tactics, trying to hit Barca on the counters isn't the way. Playing your own game and going against us with high intensity is the best way as exemplified by our only league loss and the away Stuttgart tie. Also Arsene should play 4-2-2 to counteract our classic 4-3-3. The main problem with the 4-3-3 against a 4-4-2 is that the opposition wide midfielders can cause you a problem, as there is no specific player on your side who is designated to mark them (with two 4-4-2s, a left midfielder would pick up a right midfielder, and vice-versa). If our full-back comes forward to pick the opposition wide player up, he can find himself 20 yards too high up the pitch, whilst if your winger is charged with the responsibility, you can find yourself playing a 4-5-1 system.

Another thing Pep has done recently to maximise our scoring capability and when we struggle to score is use what I'd like to call our superformation, a 4-2-4. Look at our recent match against Stuttgart at home. In defence, Busquets drops in as a centre-half to allow Pique and Puyol to spread the width of the pitch, allowing Maxwell and Alves to venture forward. The main effect of this is that is suddenly transfers a huge defensive responsibility onto the two opposition wide midfielders, in this case Hleb and some other player. It pushed Hleb and the other player into an area their wasn’t comfortable in And when Stuttgart’s only attacking threat was coming from the wings it was very difficult for the wide players to track the Barcelona full-backs and then have the energy to attack them at pace. Hleb looked exhausted by the end of the game.

Upfront, the main movement was the combination of Pedro and Messi on the right-hand side. Pedro started wide and Molinaro assumed he was the player he should be picking up. But then Pedro drifted inside, Molinaro tracked him into the centre, and this opened up space for Messi on the right-hand flank, a key feature of the game against Valencia. Give Messi any kind of time on the ball and he will rape you quite severely. Messi continued to occasionally enter the Stuttgart box unmarked after the opposition had been dragged out of position, which for the past two games have looked unforgiveable.

Overall I'm salivating at the prospect of this tie, Arsenal are a wonderful team and are the team I'd begrudge the least to go out to. It will be a difficult game and I hope Ibrahimovic of 09 returns, which will make the task all that much easier. Messi is in tremendous form and if he keeps it up it will make me much more relaxed.

Can't wait :smile:
Panthalic
You lot are ruining my trip to Munich with your rubbish voodooing. If you push voodoo too hard or try to manipulate voodoo it punishes you. Subtle persuasion is good, but voodoo shan't stand for these clumsy shenanigans. :dry:

I warned you all.

The 5000 allocation to Reds thing is only for the league tbh, being a Red member sucks donkey ******** since all you ever get is the dregs that are left after STs are forced to buy tickets and then Silvers get to entirely cherry pick whatever they want with no obligation whatsoever. The away system is so much better it's ridiculously, excepting finals/Wembley where the BO go back to equine fellatio.
if you lot aren't happy with being a red member, why don't you just go to the next level?
geoff_yin
No big deal, I'll be stuck up here in Notts buried in work anyway. :frown:

You can watch it better on the TV anyway.

Which is exactly what I tell myself anytime I never get a ticket to see Bordeaux or Celtic when I'm back home.
Reply 5710
It isn't just about throwing money at it tbfh.

And I must disagree Barca... as to stop Barcelona being too attacking is to take away their main strength, and then prey on one of - very few - weaknesses.

We do need to target Puyoll with some serious Eboue WUM.
Reply 5711
Panthalic
I warned you all.

The 5000 allocation to Reds thing is only for the league tbh, being a Red member sucks donkey ******** since all you ever get is the dregs that are left after STs are forced to buy tickets and then Silvers get to entirely cherry pick whatever they want with no obligation whatsoever. The away system is so much better it's ridiculously, excepting finals/Wembley where the BO go back to equine fellatio.

Really? I managed to get a couple of tickets for Villarreal last season and that was a high-profile tie I thought?

cfc1992
if you lot aren't happy with being a red member, why don't you just go to the next level?

It's not as easy as that. There's a massive waiting list.
I am pretty sure Puyol is capable of merking Arsenal with some GSL.

Who are Arsenal gonna GEL with anyway, Walcott?
Reply 5713
Clubber Lang

Who needs GELs when we have our own GICL in Eboue?
Barça

I wanted it simply because we are up against a proper footballing side, no buses allowed.

However at the same token Arsenal is a team I wanted to avoid because of that fact, they know how to play incisive football.

I disagree with RobbieC about the tactics, trying to hit Barca on the counters isn't the way. Playing your own game and going against us with high intensity is the best way as exemplified by our only league loss and the away Stuttgart tie. Also Arsene should play 4-2-2 to counteract our classic 4-3-3. The main problem with the 4-3-3 against a 4-4-2 is that the opposition wide midfielders can cause you a problem, as there is no specific player on your side who is designated to mark them (with two 4-4-2s, a left midfielder would pick up a right midfielder, and vice-versa). If our full-back comes forward to pick the opposition wide player up, he can find himself 20 yards too high up the pitch, whilst if your winger is charged with the responsibility, you can find yourself playing a 4-5-1 system.

Another thing Pep has done recently to maximise our scoring capability and when we struggle to score is use what I'd like to call our superformation, a 4-2-4. Look at our recent match against Stuttgart at home. In defence, Busquets drops in as a centre-half to allow Pique and Puyol to spread the width of the pitch, allowing Maxwell and Alves to venture forward. The main effect of this is that is suddenly transfers a huge defensive responsibility onto the two opposition wide midfielders, in this case Hleb and some other player. It pushed Hleb and the other player into an area their wasn’t comfortable in And when Stuttgart’s only attacking threat was coming from the wings it was very difficult for the wide players to track the Barcelona full-backs and then have the energy to attack them at pace. Hleb looked exhausted by the end of the game.

Upfront, the main movement was the combination of Pedro and Messi on the right-hand side. Pedro started wide and Molinaro assumed he was the player he should be picking up. But then Pedro drifted inside, Molinaro tracked him into the centre, and this opened up space for Messi on the right-hand flank, a key feature of the game against Valencia. Give Messi any kind of time on the ball and he will rape you quite severely. Messi continued to occasionally enter the Stuttgart box unmarked after the opposition had been dragged out of position, which for the past two games have looked unforgiveable.

Overall I'm salivating at the prospect of this tie, Arsenal are a wonderful team and are the team I'd begrudge the least to go out to. It will be a difficult game and I hope Ibrahimovic of 09 returns, which will make the task all that much easier. Messi is in tremendous form and if he keeps it up it will make me much more relaxed.

Wouldn't count on it - Silvestre is probably a better striker than the present day Ibra.

Is Xavi injured, which would explain why he wasn't played on Wednesday?

And which version of the 4-3-3 will face us?
geoff_yin
Really? I managed to get a couple of tickets for Villarreal last season and that was a high-profile tie I thought?

Srsly. I went to Villarreal as well on a Red, a midweek game against not stella opposition in 'only' the quarters didn't sell out at Silvers. United however didn't come even remotely close to Reds, and I doubt Barca will either.
geoff_yin
Who needs GELs when we have our own GICL in Eboue?

True story
Clubber Lang

Chumpbell obviously...

Walcott couldn't GEL his hair if his life depended on it.
Reply 5718
Barça

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/02/23/stuttgart-1-1-barcelona-gross-gets-things-right-but-stuttgart-dont-make-it-count-when-they-were-in-top/
http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/17/barcelona-4-0-stuttgart-messi-guardiola-4-2-4/

Thought that sounded familiar :p:

However, I'm confident Wenger will play the 4-3-3 / 4-1-4-1 formation and if you look at that excellent diagram, the two wide midfielders (most probably Arshavin + another wide player) would be retained, just as Hleb and Gebhart were unantagonised in the tie. Meanwhile, the midfield triumvirate of Fabregas, Song and most probably Diaby will occupy Barca's midfield. So I think the 4-1-4-1 Wenger usually uses will retain the benefits of 4-4-2, but it will also provide added strength in midfield (something that is obviously crucial against the likes of the near-insurmountable Barca midfield)

However, I completely agree with you in your empirical comments; theory doesn't equate to practice and Barca's only shortcomings this season has been when the opposition have "played their own game" with high intensity to breaking point. I think Wenger will watch the games where Barca have struggled and try and to exploit them in that sense, but those games haven't necessarily been the theoretically / tactically "optimal" solution. I guess we'll have to wait and see :yes:
Reply 5719
Stalin
Wouldn't count on it - Silvestre is probably a better striker than the present day Ibra.

Is Xavi injured, which would explain why he wasn't played on Wednesday?

And which version of the 4-3-3 will face us?

Xavi may miss the first leg due to injury.

4-3-3 at the Emirates and if we need goal we will bring the 4-2-4 to the table. My head says it will be a narrow tie but my heart says Arsene Wenger is online right now buying excessive quantities of Durex Play lube :colonhash:

There is one thing guaranteed about this tie though, good football :yes:

Latest