The Student Room Group

Network Rail Operations and Customer Service Scheme

I don't think this is a thread yet. I thought it would be useful for anyone who's applied to the scheme to discuss the application process and for people who have done the assessment centre to chat about it and ease the nerves of those who have one looming :smile:
Hiya!

Cant believe this is the only post on here for the scheme. You had ur a/c yet? Think I'm on one of the last ones in march... So not for a while yet.. :smile: You been on the online forums they run? - i went on one but its chaos! ended up giving up on it and just watching what other people put - seemed everyone has the same q's about it
:smile:
Reply 2
Hurray someone posted! Yeah I had my assessment centre a few days ago! When I was preparing for it I noticed there were no forums about it on here, so I decided to make one. In one other grad scheme everyone bonded over forums, so I thought it'd be nice here too.

Good luck for your assessment centre! And don't worry too much, it's not too daunting and even though it's an entire day it zooms past and it'll be over before you know it! I went on the forums too, but it didn't help a great deal since there was so much going on!

Do you feel prepared? I didn't when I went on it! haha but still it was okay. apart from the last bit which was the business case. I hated that bit :frown:
How long til u hear how it went?? - Hope you did well!! Do you know how many people they're taking on?

I'm not too worried just yet - got a few weeks to prepare so not gunner stress just yet. ha - i've seen on another forum the business case isn't much fun. though its the numerical test im dreading... really don't knw how i managed to pass that bit. Why's the business case so bad? - are there a lot of ppl working on it?? oooh hope it goes well for u :smile:
Reply 4
No idea how long, about 10 days from now I would guess! But I can't get it out of my head haha. The tests were okay, not too bad, although the time is a lot tighter than practise ones I did.

I'll not go into much detail about the business case to keep it fair for everyone but there's a LOT of information, and you've only got an hour to go through it and make a presentation. You do that bit on your own. An hour sounds like enough, but it feels like five minutes. The presentation itself wasn't too bad, but they really killed me with questions afterwards. Or felt that way anyway :smile:

The group exercise was pretty fun actually, so don't worry about that at all. Just make sure you know what they're looking for from you. You all sit around a table (bout ten of you) and every person has their own assessor. But don't worry, you kinda forget they're there.

I've no idea how many people they'll take on. There were about 20 people in the assessment centre and there are five of them.

Overall it was a really good day, enjoyable but I was knackered by the end. Hopefully some more people will join the forum and we can talk about it some more :smile: or you can chat to some people you'll be joining late march
hey chrispy duck did you fill your locations preference form in on the day? if not where did you post it to? Don't really want to bombard the network rail enquiries email with, well...enquiries. i had mine last week, just waiting to here now. you sent your expenses off yet?
Reply 6
hey hotmale lol. I gave mine in on the day, so I don't really know where you would post it. Is there an address on the form? I'd just email them, I'm sure they'd not mind!

I had mine last week too, I presume we were at the same one! When do you reckon we'll hear? I'm hoping this week. I keep dreaming about it haha. No i've not sent off my expenses yet, I keep forgetting. Hope it's not too late. I drove though, so I don't have a receipt.... I know the miles however. Should probably send that tonight...
yeah going to send the expenses off today. i guess i'll have to email. was thinking of putting more obscure locations down to see if that makes me more attractive to them!! good luck with it anyhow. i would absolutely love it if i was successful. would take so much pressure off
Reply 8
I put Manchester as my first choice. I would be so happy if they gave me a job, sounds like such a good scheme. And if they put me in Manchester my life would be complete haha. But we'll see I guess.
Reply 9
Hey just wondering if any of you guys have heard back yet? Thanks.
Hi all. I attended the assessment centre on the 16th Feb. Got a phone call last Friday and was given a job offer!!!

To anyone who still has to attend an assessment centre for any Network Rail scheme, DO NOT WORRY. I see plenty of people on student room worrying about assessment centres, but in my mind that is a recipe for failure. Go into the whole thing with the attitude that "I am going to pass" because if you can't hack the interview process, how the hell will you hack the real job when you will be expected to deliver on a day to day basis?
Reply 11
Well done! I also attended the assessment centre on the 16th Feb, but have still not heard anything back!

Has anybody else?
well done dundeestudent!! i've not had my a/c yet... agr!!! where abouts you going to be working??
Hello all, received my contract today. A facebook page has been created for the 2010 intake, please do join so all the successful applicants can get to know each other.

Search: Network Rail Graduates 2010
what was it like, what sort of things did they ask you. Did you have a maths and English test, if so was the maths test hard I'm rubbish at maths that's the bit I'm dreading as I know on that alone I will fail. Everything else im not worried
I have applied with network rail customer service role in manchester, Can anyone tell me what to expect and if there will be a maths and english test. If the ere is will it be hard as im rubbish at maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending