The Student Room Group

dropped out of uni? studdent finance help needed- applied for uni in 2010

hello

i was at a uni in 2009 just for a month, i applied for student early and recieved it well. how ever one month after starting the course i left. i with draw from the uni, giving notice via email ( it worked). how ever i forgot to notify student finance, because i thought when u leave university, the university would notify the student finance company. i recieved the second installment in january, i sent a the change of circumstances form ( i thought they had recieved it, any they were taking a long time to reply) i then sent it off again in february.

i got the letter just today saying that payment for the maintenance loan, dependance grant (grant), tuition fee loan has been stopped. it also said previous payments i may have recieved may have to be repaid.

i also applied for university and a course ( a different uni and course) on ucas and have been given an uncondition offer.

one thing they asked for is the exact date i withdrawn?

i want to know if i have to pay any of it back. i m sure you pay it back untill you earn more than £15k right? ive applied for univserity for the year 2010, so i am going to return to study.

help me please
it does state in the terms of SFE that you are supposed to notify them immediately of any changes in your circumstances and if you left after a month but recieved the 1st and 2nd term payment and didnt actually tell SFE and kept the money then you will need to come to an arrangement with SFE to pay this money back as you wouldnt have been entitled to keep it after leaving your degree and University. Its not the Universitys job to notify SFE but yours and you will definitely need the exact date you left so that the repaying back can be correctly calculated.

I would suggest that you telephone SFE and explain the situation that you are going back to University this year and wish to apply for finance but you received funding both for the 1st two terms of your previous SFE application.
Reply 2
ok thanks- woulld i need to pay the money straight away or would it be added on to the amount i pay would back once i am earning more than £15k?
Reply 3
would i need to pay back both term or just the second-, as i did gop uni ( even thoigh it was a month)?
Yes you will probably have to pay back back both terms as the money was for both terms and you would need to set up a payment plan possibly with SFE to repay the money but i would ring them at the earliest opportunity and explain because it might affect your finance this year ie: you may have to pay for your tuition fees or something but i would speak with SFE and be completely honest with them
jojospacemunky
Yes you will probably have to pay back back both terms as the money was for both terms and you would need to set up a payment plan possibly with SFE to repay the money but i would ring them at the earliest opportunity and explain because it might affect your finance this year ie: you may have to pay for your tuition fees or something but i would speak with SFE and be completely honest with them

They will pay fees, they just might not give maintenance loans, as that's what they'll have been overpaid.

However, OP...
Because you were technically 'overpaid' then you will have to pay back what you were given before you can get next year's finance in full.

To be fair, the uni SHOULD have told Student Finance that you were leaving, but you also needed to contact them yourself.
Reply 6
do i have to pay back everything or just the grant?
Reply 7
i mean- i know i'll pay the loan back- but do i pay it back immediately or does that just apply to the grant
do you really need to ask? You've been overpaid a loan and you want to borrow more and don't expect the lender to have strings!
Ignore Jap, he's a knob.

You need to pay back both, now. I have to pay back a grand total of £1400 because I dropped out in January. Contact the student loans company and they'll confirm what I've said, which is that you have to pay back everything now unless you're willing to take a hit in next year's payments.
psychocustard
Ignore Jap, he's a knob.

You need to pay back both, now. I have to pay back a grand total of £1400 because I dropped out in January. Contact the student loans company and they'll confirm what I've said, which is that you have to pay back everything now unless you're willing to take a hit in next year's payments.

no, I'm just not a thief.

Latest

Trending

Trending