The Student Room Group

Adapting to your surroundings!

Should you change (your personality, behaviour, the way you act) to be more accepted by your peers?

- I got bullied so I thought I'd change to a more relaxed personality but this did not work either!

- That was with petulant, foolish brats of secondary school, although the (same) people were different in college!

> but what will it be like in Uni?

hope the post makes sense!

Just and intriguing question from an enquiring person!

Reply 1
be yourself.. You cant change because people are pratts, if you change to suit them your living a lie. If people cant love you/accept you for who you are they aint worth bothering with. Uni is alot different to school or college, people have got past the petty age, they either will like you or they wont.
Reply 2
If your friends don't accept you for who you are, then they aren't true friends really.

If you change your character simply to "fit in" with a popular clique, it's not worth it.
Reply 3
if you change to suit them then you'll be hanging round with people you dont really like in a way. if you're yourself then at least you can sort the wheat from the chaff - you know that people who want to be your friend are real and the sort of person you'd like to hang around with.
i cant see any benefits at all to changing just to be liked by some insignificant people
You should not change how you are as a person, you should just be yourself. There are so many different people at university with so many different backgrounds and with so many interests, you will find people are more relaxed and chilled. Also because of the sheer high number of people there are bound to be people that you get along with, anywhere you go however there will be people that are horrible and selfish your never really get away from it. :biggrin:
I prefer and get on better with people who are natural, open and act themselves - you're probably the same, so yeah, act yourself.
Reply 6
everyone changes though, even if they don't mean to and don't know it, they did.

Latest

Trending

Trending