The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

An international worry, I guess

It turns out I will be making the move to Aber all on my own since my parents are tied up otherwise and I realised that this complicated a few things. As it was originally planned we were arriving one day early, staying at a hotel, do some shopping (bed, bathroom and kitchen stuff mostly; stuff that's awkward to pack for travel), get bank issues settled and so forth and then have a nice parents/daughter dinner.

Now I'm wondering if it's still worth arriving a day early? (That is, arrive on the Thursday rather than the Friday.)

If all works out with planes and trains I assume I can be at Aberystwyth sometime between 14:00 and 15:00 on either day, which doesn't leave a large getting settled and meeting people slot if I also plan to go out and do some serious shopping.

Essentially all I will be able to bring (I will have one 20kg checked in bag and one 10kg carry-on) will be clothes and some personal effects so I've got quite a bit of shopping to do. My parents have said they can have the rest of my things shipped over.

I'm getting really really excited about September though! Only four months and a few days left! :woo:

Also, how have other international kids done it? Did you have someone with you? How far did you travel? (I'm not going that far, but it's still more of a hassle than getting in a car and driving would be.)
I really doesn't matter what day you'd arrive - you'll have plenty of time to meet and greet at uni :smile:. On the shopping front, Morrisons supermarket is your best bet for cheap kitchen stuff/food, and Poundland in the town is also surprisingy good. There's enough shops in that sense.

You'll love your time here :smile:.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
I'm chronically early and like to take it easy so maybe if I take that extra day to get used to a new town and get all my things before I meet people, it might be less stressful for me personally if I arrive on the Thursday.

Mostly I'm just worried that if I go directly to halls I might be considered rude and antisocial if I just whisk away to go shopping and then pass out once I get back (since I'll have been going since four or five in the morning).

And thanks for the shopping tips! I'll have to make a note of the cheaper places to go, otherwise I'll end up spending a fortune, haha!
Everyone else will be in the same boat - I remember my first day when I got in, unpacked, and left to do other things. You'll be spending enough time getting to know your flatmates that it doesnt matter if the first day is used for preparing for your year ahead :smile:.
A lot of other people are gonna need to go shopping for things as soon as they arrive as well, finding a shopping buddy should be no problem, that way you have someone to help you carry things back as well :wink:

Also, I cant remember exactly, but im pretty sure the letter said the moving in dates are from friday to sunday, standard practice is to split up arrivals, perhaps by surnames. Like, A-G on friday, G-L saturday, etc etc. So unless you know for sure when you can arrive and get keys, dont book any flights yet I guess is my point.

Finally, yay for an international student, bring your friends :wink:
By the way, if anybody needs a hand I'm willing to offer my services. A bit like a prostitute, but no sex involved.

No seriously, just gimme a message on here and I'll be there to lend a hand. Cos I'm nice. :smile:

Latest