The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Medicine Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

kayla:)
How'd your results turn out?
I got 4A's, but 97% 89% 89% and 80%. SOOOO annoyed I missed out on the 90% by 1%. gutted! i was 4 UMS off both. but I'm hopefully resitting one module of the Chem, cos I got 94/120 in one paper and 120/120 in the other. Though I don't remember it going that badly, well not that that's bad, but I thought I did better than that, but anyway, that'll pull my grade up to hopefully over 90%. But otherwise I'm happy :smile: youu??

My results were good thanks, I got 6 A's, 96% 92% 92% 87% 87% and 89% in General Studies but my 'big 3' over 90% didn't include Bio :teeth: My ISA was marked down from 90% to 70% which was weird and the exam went well, but I thought it went a bit better than it actually did :p: I'm 1 UMS off an A in M1 aswell but i'm not sure if i should resit since Cambridge see your UMS. I know if I resit M1 that'll putt my grade in Further Maths up over 90% though, so I'm so confused :eek3: I just spent yesterday coming to terms with everything, because it wasn't but I expected at all but was good and not as good at the same time :p:
Reply 61
How'd your results turn out?
I got 4A's, but 97% 89% 89% and 80%. SOOOO annoyed I missed out on the 90% by 1%. gutted! i was 4 UMS off both. but I'm hopefully resitting one module of the Chem, cos I got 94/120 in one paper and 120/120 in the other. Though I don't remember it going that badly, well not that that's bad, but I thought I did better than that, but anyway, that'll pull my grade up to hopefully over 90%. But otherwise I'm happy :smile: youu??

Your results are fine, there's no need at all to resit the chemistry since they will know anyway and you can still get A* at A2. I got interviewed with similar percentages (89.7% in chemistry lol). Best of luck with the application!
Reply 62
SabreT
Your results are fine, there's no need at all to resit the chemistry since they will know anyway and you can still get A* at A2. I got interviewed with similar percentages (89.7% in chemistry lol). Best of luck with the application!

I'm not planning on resitting Chem to get the A*, but more for making sure that getting an A is as easy as possible. I've emailed some Cambridge Collages, and they said they're fine with it, but don't let it affect my A2's
Reply 63
Oh my apologies then, the best thing to do is to make life easier for yourself in the long run and increase your chances.
hunter'sdaughter
I'm 1 UMS off an A in M1 aswell but i'm not sure if i should resit since Cambridge see your UMS.

Same here, I got 81/100 in Mechanics, bringing my Maths average to 89.3%, so I don't know whether to resit, or just leave it and go for Oxford (I'm sorry, I mean 'they-who-must-not-be-named' *ahem* :P) instead...it just puts me off seeing Medical applicants with 100/100 UMS :frown:
I pretty much scraped 90 in all of them. 94% in physics, 94% in maths, 92% biology, 92% chemistry, 91% further maths.

Got a B in Stats 2 though (only module lower than 90), luckily my other further maths modules pulled it up.
Nucleolus
Same here, I got 81/100 in Mechanics, bringing my Maths average to 89.3%, so I don't know whether to resit, or just leave it and go for Oxford (I'm sorry, I mean 'they-who-must-not-be-named' *ahem* :P) instead...it just puts me off seeing Medical applicants with 100/100 UMS :frown:

Same but, I guess you just have be honest with yourself, appreciate your strengths and work on BMAT and interview. Forget about others with those UMS, people with great UMS get rejected as well.
hunter'sdaughter
Same but, I guess you just have be honest with yourself, appreciate your strengths and work on BMAT and interview. Forget about others with those UMS, people with great UMS get rejected as well.

From what I've heard it's.. Interview > BMAT > UMS. I wouldn't worry about it anyway, ure scores look good :smile:
englishman129
From what I've heard it's.. Interview > BMAT > UMS. I wouldn't worry about it anyway, ure scores look good :smile:

Thanks! That was really helpful :smile:
Reply 69
englishman129

But don't they get your BMAT results before Interviews, and give you an interview based on your BMAT results?
But don't they get your BMAT results before Interviews, and give you an interview based on your BMAT results?

It depends on the college whether they wait for BMAT results before assigning interviews.

Cambridge doesn't state an "order of importance" of things.

The same can be said about UMS scores then? They interview like 80-90% of people anyway. So I guess when they're offering places that's the criteria they use.
Reply 72

Only some colleges do that. The ones that spring to mind are Trinity, Kings, Downing and a few others. Some interview nearly everyone who has strong UMS scores like Fitzwilliam and trinity hall. I got called to interview before the colleges got BMAT scores.
Jonty99
It depends on the college whether they wait for BMAT results before assigning interviews.

Cambridge doesn't state an "order of importance" of things.

Oh ok, maybe I was wrong? I've heard it from quite a few people on here though. I guess we'll never know how much they weight each thing fully, anyway. We just gotta do the best in each department :smile:
englishman129
Oh ok, maybe I was wrong? I've heard it from quite a few people on here though. I guess we'll never know how much they weight each thing fully, anyway. We just gotta do the best in each department :smile:

Well you could be right or wrong, but I find it hard to believe the people who told you that knew for sure.

As you say, the best advice is to do as well as you can with everything. :smile:
Reply 75
SabreT
Oh my apologies then, the best thing to do is to make life easier for yourself in the long run and increase your chances.

s'alright, I'm only thinking about it, but someone I know the year above got practically full marks in AS and only needed something ridiculous like 60% in A2s to get an A. So I'm hoping to do similar :P But I'm waiting for my teacher to reply first see what she says :smile:
Reply 76
Jonty99
Well you could be right or wrong, but I find it hard to believe the people who told you that knew for sure.

As you say, the best advice is to do as well as you can with everything. :smile:

If only it was as easy done as said. I suppose PS is taking into account a little bit, But i'm sure they said when I was there that they don't put too much emphasis on it, because they'd rather see what you're like in person than on paper. Which is a good point to be fair, especially if someone else's written your PS. Getting an interview seems to be the main hurdle atm though.
Yeah, I'm applying for Jesus :biggrin: AS results weren't fantastic..so I'm debating whether i should still apply but...might as well and see what happens :smile:
polzeath.sunset
Yeah, I'm applying for Jesus :biggrin: AS results weren't fantastic..so I'm debating whether i should still apply but...might as well and see what happens :smile:

As long as you've got strong A's I would say it's worth a shot :smile:
Welcome to the thread :biggrin: :yep:
Reply 79
would you say my AS results put me in good stead for emmanuel or trinity? or will that play a small role

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending