The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Will A level further maths not be harder/as hard as IB Higher Maths?
Reply 2
it might be better because I thought that university's preffered a levels for maths because if you do ib there isnt enough maths on the course.
IB Maths methods SL - isn't that even easier than Maths SL? I think it's very unlikely that would be accepted in place of A-level maths or Math HL, especially for engineering.

tobedotty
it might be better because I thought that university's preffered alevels for maths because if you do ib you just dont do enough maths for the uni course.

IB Math HL is generally thought to be harder than Maths A-level. While 40% get an A at A-level maths, only 7% get a 7 at IB Math HL.
Reply 4
Maths Methods is the standard level maths. Maths studies is the lowest type of maths in the IB.

Higher Level Maths is harder than Further Maths because you cannot predict the type of question you could get in the Higher Level Maths paper and more application is required.
Reply 5
To be honest, I think do to Engineering at Cambridge you have to be very good at Maths, and if you can't cope with Higher Maths then perhaps you shouldn't be considering this course?
Reply 6
The thing is I have chosen to study Higher Maths but several maths teachers have said that even people who are amazing at maths struggle with it and have to spend a lot of time to maintain their grades.
bonjourhola
The thing is I have chosen to study Higher Maths but several maths teachers have said that even people who are amazing at maths struggle with it and have to spend a lot of time to maintain their grades.

Well, to be honest, the yardstick for "amazing" that your teachers are using is then probably lower than the one Cambridge admissions will be using. Moreover, to spend "a lot" of time on a subject is hardly anything special.
bonjourhola
I would like to study Engineering at Cambridge and am considering studying the IB. However, Higher Maths seems incredibly difficult so I am curious to know if Cambridge would accept IB Standard Maths Methods and A Level Further Maths instead of IB Higher Maths. I would also be studying Physics at Higher Level.

As you probably know, Engineering courses at academic universities such as Cambridge involve a lot of maths and sometimes you find yourself using difficult mathematical concepts as part of the course. In other words, if you think you're good enough for a maths-based Cambridge course, then you should be able to cope with the IB higher maths course anyway. If not then you should reconsider Cambridge as a potential option.
Reply 9
Having studied both HL maths and further maths, I can tell you now that further maths is harder and has much more within it. This is because it is assumed that you will have more time for it; it is usually one of 3 a-levels, whereas higher maths is one of 6 subjects.

If you are doing the IB I would recommend you do HL maths as you won't have the time to complete the further maths syllabus in the year, and if you honestly find HL maths that difficult then maybe you shouldn't be considering a mathematical course at Cambridge.
Reply 10
IDGAF
Having studied both HL maths and further maths, I can tell you now that further maths is harder and has much more within it. This is because it is assumed that you will have more time for it; it is usually one of 3 a-levels, whereas higher maths is one of 6 subjects.

If you are doing the IB I would recommend you do HL maths as you won't have the time to complete the further maths syllabus in the year, and if you honestly find HL maths that difficult then maybe you shouldn't be considering a mathematical course at Cambridge.

Would it be true to say though that you can't predict the type of question that will come up in the Higher Maths papers but you could with the A Level Maths and Further Maths papers?
Reply 11
Lots of harsh comments here. At Cambridge you would be expected to utilise good maths skills, certainly. But it also wouldn't be coupled with 5 other subjects plus all the other crap the IB involves. The fact you have HL physics will prove to the university that you do have the ability to utilise applied mathematics. If you can justify why to the university under interview pressure you made that decision INTELLIGENTLY (i.e- not 'I found it hard', but rather "I felt Physics would show my abilities, and I therefore utilised the last HL slot to pursue something of interest to me" ) then it would be OK.

That said, you're alternative solution doesn't sound sensible. Maths SL isn't an easy jump from GCSE- it's just easy compared to HL. Without experiencing the additional tuition from HL maths, SL will seem difficult and consume just as much time as HL. You wouldn't realistically be able to take on Further Maths given the time you will have to dedicate to the IB. HL maths will be your safer option. It's hard, but my school had at least 1 level 7 this year (out of 6 students) so it's not impossible.
Reply 12
Well, I've received an offer from Cambridge to read Natural Sciences, and I only did Maths Studies (fast-tracked it and got a 7). For engineering, they'll probably want more - so A-level alongside it would be fine, I'm sure. :smile:

The people who did Higher Maths at my college were basically told "OK, Higher Maths is insanely difficult, and you will fail it, so we're making you do an A-level alongside it."

I would suggest you e-mail the admissions office at the college you're applying to and ask them. That's what I did, when I was considering the same problem. :smile:
Reply 13
JJFinch
I would suggest you e-mail the admissions office at the college you're applying to and ask them. That's what I did, when I was considering the same problem. :smile:

That's very good advice actually. After I didn't meet my Cambridge offer I actually emailed my admissions officer from the college I applied to as to whether I should retake or accept clearing offers, even though I wasn't reapplying to Cambridge. They were very helpful. There's this strange feeling that Oxbridge are really evil. They aren't. Just their offers AFTER the interview are :P
Reply 14
JJFinch
Well, I've received an offer from Cambridge to read Natural Sciences, and I only did Maths Studies (fast-tracked it and got a 7). For engineering, they'll probably want more - so A-level alongside it would be fine, I'm sure. :smile:

The people who did Higher Maths at my college were basically told "OK, Higher Maths is insanely difficult, and you will fail it, so we're making you do an A-level alongside it."

Out of curiosity which subjects did you choose within Natural Sciences and did you have to specify them in your application? Also, what other subjects did you study in the IB? I'm just wondering because I am considering if Natural Sciences would be better for me than Engineering.
Reply 15
bonjourhola
Out of curiosity which subjects did you choose within Natural Sciences and did you have to specify them in your application? Also, what other subjects did you study in the IB? I'm just wondering because I am considering if Natural Sciences would be better for me than Engineering.

Hi! I'm also going to read bio natsci this october.
I took Bio, Chem, Maths, Chinese B at HL and Econ, English A1 at SL.
When applying, you need to specify whether you have a biological preference or physical preference. We get to mix and match topics we want to read, but this happens after you get an offer.
There's also this thing where you can study phys nat sci in your first year and you can convert to engineering in your second year.
For bio nat sci, you do not need to have HL maths, however, for phys nat sci, you do, and some colleges strongly recommend further maths as well. Additionally, most colleges require another science subject ie. chemistry at HL level.

In any case, HL maths is definitely useful to have-why not try it out for a term or so? if you find it too hard, you can drop it to SL.
Reply 16
OP: I'd just do IB Maths HL if I was you, if you can do Further Maths and get an A you'll be able to get a good score on IB Maths HL: Just practice questions, build up a good exam technique and a thorough knowledge of the course and how you'll be marked.

AnonymousPenguin
IB Maths methods SL - isn't that even easier than Maths SL? I think it's very unlikely that would be accepted in place of A-level maths or Math HL, especially for engineering.

IB Math HL is generally thought to be harder than Maths A-level. While 40% get an A at A-level maths, only 7% get a 7 at IB Math HL.

Wait what? Where'd you get those percentages from?
Thingeh
OP: I'd just do IB Maths HL if I was you, if you can do Further Maths and get an A you'll be able to get a good score on IB Maths HL: Just practice questions, build up a good exam technique and a thorough knowledge of the course and how you'll be marked.

Wait what? Where'd you get those percentages from?

A-level figure is from numerous articles on grade inflation, I am 100% the figure is correct. The IB figure is from the 2008 examiners report available on the IBO website. I guess it's been replaced with the 2009 one now, but it should be about the same.

EDIT: You seem to have posted something and deleted it. Here's the Guardian saying that on average there are 27% As in every A-level (http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/may/28/a-level-top-a-star-grade). It was just a quick google search away, do you find it hard to believe maths has 40% now? No IB subject has that many 7s, you only get to that number if you include 7s and 6s and some 5s. That's why most universities now treat a 6 in IB as about the same as an A.
Reply 18
bonjourhola
I would like to study Engineering at Cambridge and am considering studying the IB. However, Higher Maths seems incredibly difficult so I am curious to know if Cambridge would accept IB Standard Maths Methods and A Level Further Maths instead of IB Higher Maths. I would also be studying Physics at Higher Level.

Waste of time. To complete further maths you need to do 9 exams.
Reply 19
AnonymousPenguin
A-level figure is from numerous articles on grade inflation, I am 100% the figure is correct. The IB figure is from the 2008 examiners report available on the IBO website. I guess it's been replaced with the 2009 one now, but it should be about the same.

EDIT: You seem to have posted something and deleted it. Here's the Guardian saying that on average there are 27% As in every A-level (http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/may/28/a-level-top-a-star-grade). It was just a quick google search away, do you find it hard to believe maths has 40% now? No IB subject has that many 7s, you only get to that number if you include 7s and 6s and some 5s. That's why most universities now treat a 6 in IB as about the same as an A.

I'm not claiming that any IB subject has that many 7s, just I've never seen official evidence to suggest Maths A Level (not further maths; that has indeed surpassed 40%) has surpassed 40% A rate by any exam board (some have tiptoed near/over 30%) and so I was curious. I also think I came across as more hostile than intended.

I don't remember deleting a post or why I'd have done so, but I might have done.

Latest

Trending

Trending