The Student Room Group

Henley Business School (Reading)-Advice

Hi everyone,

I am from Greece and I have studied Business Administration focusing on International Business & European Affairs in my undergraduate years. In Septemeber I am going to study at Henley Business School on MSc Marketing & International Management. I am little bit worried about my final choice because 1)It is is very expensive (£9000) and 2) I rejected offers from other prestigious universities like Aston, Exeter & Lancaster.

Though, I do not regret it and I am very glad to have the chance to go for this master. I have posted this thread because I would really love to hear any opinions about my prospective university, its graduates' employability and the specific programme that I choosed. My only worries is that this master is quite general and when I graduate it will quite difficult for me to compete in the market; in comparison to graduates that have studied only Management, Marketing, Finance etc...

So every advice and opinion would be very much appreciated:smile: .

Thanks,
George

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
well I wont waste my money on Henley business school!u r fool if u've rejected Lancaster
Reply 2
Actually I have another week to answer to Lancaster(Though I am accepted to a totally different program;MSc Project Management).Also thanks for your kindness and compliment.Please if u say sth you have to provide reasoning.Hence, why do u think that Henley business school is not good?
Reply 3
Reading's marketing is pretty well known. Accredited with CIPM. Dunno about the rest. I won't give project management a go... No future I suppose?
Henley virtually invented business education in the UK and there are therefore a lot of people around the world who will know the Henley brand but who won't have heard of universities such as Aston, Exeter & Lancaster. That is the reason Reading has kept the Henley name.
Reply 5
Your words are quite relieving for me.YIPKS can you tell me what is the CIPM accreditation that reading has, as I am not aware of it?
Thanks!
Reply 6
Any other opinions guys?
Reply 7
The choice of Henley is a wise one.

1) It is the oldest and one of the largest business schools in UK.
2) The price is half of what I am paying for my MSc Management, Organisations and Governance at LSE. You're getting excellent value for the teaching quality and reputation.
3) The programme you have chosen is not a general management programme. It has a focus on the marketing function and gives you an foundation in running an international business. It seems like a very relevant course that can open many doors for you in an extremely wide range of companies and organisations. You are not disadvantaged, in my opinion.
4) Aston and Lancaster are also good options. It depends how you want to brand yourself and the course you think is best for you. Nonetheless, Henley would not be a bad choice at all.
Reply 8
cpl.fir
The choice of Henley is a wise one.

1) It is the oldest and one of the largest business schools in UK.
2) The price is half of what I am paying for my MSc Management, Organisations and Governance at LSE. You're getting excellent value for the teaching quality and reputation.
3) The programme you have chosen is not a general management programme. It has a focus on the marketing function and gives you an foundation in running an international business. It seems like a very relevant course that can open many doors for you in an extremely wide range of companies and organisations. You are not disadvantaged, in my opinion.
4) Aston and Lancaster are also good options. It depends how you want to brand yourself and the course you think is best for you. Nonetheless, Henley would not be a bad choice at all.

Hi SIngapore guy. YOu alright there? I used to study in Temasek Poly. Where did you study?
Reply 9
Can you please tell me what is the CIPM accreditation?
Reply 10
CIPM stands for chartered institute of professional marketing. A membership of that will makes you more employable i suppose. Accreditation enables you to be exempted from some if not all of the their examinations.
Reply 11
yipkc
Hi SIngapore guy. YOu alright there? I used to study in Temasek Poly. Where did you study?

Hey Hongkie dude, I spent Chinese New Year in HK for 2 weeks. It's great and I miss the food there! I went to Lasalle College of the Arts. So what did u do after TP?
Reply 12
cpl.fir
Hey Hongkie dude, I spent Chinese New Year in HK for 2 weeks. It's great and I miss the food there! I went to Lasalle College of the Arts. So what did u do after TP?

Me no like hongkie matie. Hong Konger sounds friendlier. I miss the food from Singapore. Hainanese Chicken Rice and Roti Prata. Good food. I got into cardiff uni after tp. Start from year 1 unfortunately. Probably due to my low GPA. Hehe.
Reply 13
Guys thank you for your advice though I would be grateful if we can stick to the Henley business school discussion.
Thanks!
Reply 14
lol!
Reply 15
Hi guys!Im from Tukey and I just accepted to Henley Manegement School for the marketıng and ınt business programme but Im really confused!I also get acceptance from brunel,surrey and Im on the waıt lıst of Queen Mary.I dont know whıch one is better.Some of the people say Reading is the best ın business and some others say QM is more well known.I really need some help.I wıll get the answer from QM ın 2 days!of course I want to study ın a good university but at the same time social life of the school is importan for me.How is Readings location and social life?I would appreciate if u can help me to decide!What do u thınk about these schools??
Reply 16
Hi guys,

Any other opinions on my thread topic?

Thanks!
Reply 17
eck
Hi guys!Im from Tukey and I just accepted to Henley Manegement School for the marketıng and ınt business programme but Im really confused!I also get acceptance from brunel,surrey and Im on the waıt lıst of Queen Mary.I dont know whıch one is better.Some of the people say Reading is the best ın business and some others say QM is more well known.I really need some help.I wıll get the answer from QM ın 2 days!of course I want to study ın a good university but at the same time social life of the school is importan for me.How is Readings location and social life?I would appreciate if u can help me to decide!What do u thınk about these schools??

Reading is just outside of London. Henley is more famous than QMUL in terms of business. However, QMUL may have a larger international prescence in some circles and it is located in London. The fact that it is located in London also means it is much more expensive and more exciting than Reading. Did you get an answer from QMUL yet? I would stick to Henley if I were you.
Henleys a big international school, lots of students from all over the world. Reading town is really nice, fun and very close to london but less expensive. Henley is much better ranked than Queen Mary and most other schools. its triple rated and ranked among best in europe. and has very good links with companies. i would definitely choose henley!!! good luck!!
Reply 19
Do you think that by obtaining a MSc Marketing & International Management from Henley, I will be given the chance to find a decent job in UK(perhaps London as it is very close)? This is my major concern as I will spend a lot of money in the forthcoming year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending