The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

I am a Second Year Sheffield University student. Ask me anything about Freshers year!

Scroll to see replies

The Low King
Hi!
I've been accepted (yay!) and have been allocated a room in apartment B1, Millstone Apartments in Endcliffe. And I was wondering if this would be a ground floor apartment, as I don't really want tone. :s-smilie:

Thanks if you can help me!

Yep sorry that apartment is the ground floor in the block but I don't think it will be that bad. I can see how it would be kind of annoying because people can kind of see into your room, but Millstone is a quieter block so you won't get too many people walking past or anything. :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 81
louboutin*
Yep sorry that apartment is the ground floor in the block but I don't think it will be that bad. I can see how it would be kind of annoying because people can kind of see into your room, but Millstone is a quieter block so you won't get too many people walking past or anything. :smile:

You won't have a problem with Millstone, as louboutin mentioned there isn't a problem with many people walking past. And also, being on ground floor is the most sociable, it's awesome, you should look forward to it. :smile:
Reply 82
Are there any cheap shops/supermarkets enroute between endcliffe and the campus? If so what should i look out for.

Also what would you recommended living off (Self catering)?

Thx
F3 Froggatt
Reply 83
Is being in a single sex flat all that bad? I think I may be in one and for some reason I am worrying about it!
Reply 84
anyone know if wimberry in ranmoor is mixed sex rooms or same sex?
Robadob
Are there any cheap shops/supermarkets enroute between endcliffe and the campus? If so what should i look out for.

Also what would you recommended living off (Self catering)?

Thx
F3 Froggatt

The only supermarket between Endcliffe and campus is Eurospar which is quite expensive and limiting. It can be good for getting the odd item on the way back from uni but I wouldn't do my weekly shop there. I shopped at the Tesco Metro on Ecclesall Road which is a little more expensive than regular Tescos but I didn't really notice. Some people got delieveries to the flat but I always enjoyed the trip. :o: Go to Fruit-a-Peel in Broomhill for your fruit and vegetables as it's much cheaper than the supermarkets and the people who work there are lovely.

Select and Save isn't cheap but as it has 24 hour opening times so most people ending up needing at at some point. 2am visits for diet coke and cigarettes = :love:
Reply 86
I shopped at Eurospar almost all year and didn't think it was especially expensive. I spent £20-25 on food each week, plus it's much more convenient than Tesco. I only really went to Tesco if I wanted loads of specific ingredients for a meal, since Spar does tend to sell out of certain things quickly.

However everyone else seemed to disagree and avoided Spar...so maybe ignore me. :p:
Reply 87
I've heard that most universities have an internal p2p network such as direct connect which the IT guys basically ignore because it means people have less reason to use external p2p (torrents) networks, therefore they get less piracy complaints. Anything like this at Sheffield?
Reply 88
zanzapan
Is being in a single sex flat all that bad? I think I may be in one and for some reason I am worrying about it!

Haha I'm the complete opposite! I'd much rather live with all-girls (no offence lads for my stereotyping) because my mind automatically assumes they'll be cleaner. But realistically I don't really mind that much I guess. Is there anyway to know if we're in mixed or single? I've been given an en suite at Ranmoor which is not what I applied for at all so I'm just thinking that they might stick in mixed just to make it really the complete opposite :s-smilie:
Reply 89
Hey! Have you got any idea what the Crewe flats are like? I really like being in the thick of it all and it seems a bit secluded and quiet there... Thanks :wink:
Reply 90
SkyGreeen
Haha I'm the complete opposite! I'd much rather live with all-girls (no offence lads for my stereotyping) because my mind automatically assumes they'll be cleaner. But realistically I don't really mind that much I guess. Is there anyway to know if we're in mixed or single? I've been given an en suite at Ranmoor which is not what I applied for at all so I'm just thinking that they might stick in mixed just to make it really the complete opposite :s-smilie:

Oh right! You have a fair point... :smile:
Check out the facebook groups and see if you can find anyone in your flat so you can see if its mixed or not!
Reply 91
How are the flats in Endcliffe set out ie the 1st floor has flats 4 5 11 12 17 18 23 24.
Is it like 4 then 5 opposite. next to 4 is 11 and 12 opposite? And can be easily socialize with all the flats on your floor.
Reply 92
Cherudim
Hey! Have you got any idea what the Crewe flats are like? I really like being in the thick of it all and it seems a bit secluded and quiet there... Thanks :wink:

Same I'm in Crescent Flats and it seems quiet - there's only 5 people per flat and I'd rather it have 10.
There wouldn't be any spare accommodation would there?
Reply 93
Brightstar
Same I'm in Crescent Flats and it seems quiet - there's only 5 people per flat and I'd rather it have 10.
There wouldn't be any spare accommodation would there?

I have no idea! I've emailed them already to see if I can get a transfer. But I highly doubt they have anything left =/. I'm guessing some people will drop out, hopefully we can nab their accommodation soonish.
zanzapan

I wouldn't say being in a single sex flat is bad at all, in fact I noticed that they were sometimes the more sociable flats. Normally flats with all boys/girls have more motivation to get to know people in the building for a bit of variation, so being single sex has its upsides :smile:. Most people I know got on well with everyone they lived with and formed really close bonds, whether this was mixed or single sex seemed to make no difference.
Brightstar
How are the flats in Endcliffe set out ie the 1st floor has flats 4 5 11 12 17 18 23 24.
Is it like 4 then 5 opposite. next to 4 is 11 and 12 opposite? And can be easily socialize with all the flats on your floor.

Each building will be something like block A/B, or C/D etc. The ground floor would be flats A1 and B1 next door to each other (but sometimes ground floor only has one flat). Then it carries on- so A2 nd B2 would be first floor etc. Hope this helps you get a better idea :smile:
Reply 96
louboutin*
Each building will be something like block A/B, or C/D etc. The ground floor would be flats A1 and B1 next door to each other (but sometimes ground floor only has one flat). Then it carries on- so A2 nd B2 would be first floor etc. Hope this helps you get a better idea :smile:

You're correct but Brightstar's living in Crescent Flats which has a different system to the rest of Endcliffe. :smile:
Reply 97
Skycat
You're correct but Brightstar's living in Crescent Flats which has a different system to the rest of Endcliffe. :smile:

How is it different
Reply 98
Also I am in a mixed flat - how likely is it that I could change to a single sex flat? in vale/crewe etc
Reply 99
louboutin*
I wouldn't say being in a single sex flat is bad at all, in fact I noticed that they were sometimes the more sociable flats. Normally flats with all boys/girls have more motivation to get to know people in the building for a bit of variation, so being single sex has its upsides :smile:. Most people I know got on well with everyone they lived with and formed really close bonds, whether this was mixed or single sex seemed to make no difference.

Thank you so much! You have set my mind at rest!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending