The Student Room Group

Did extra time POTENTIALLY lower my grade???

hi Every1....:smile:

during exam time... i was awarded extra time( DUE TO CERTAIN REASON)... for my GOV3A unit... which i got 67/100 ums in....... given that i was given extra time... i wrote loads in the exam and felt that i did much better......

When you get extra time.. does this affect the way your paper is marked... does the examiner know....???
i really felt that i deserved an A in that paper.. since i wrote loads and loads... i know people may say its quality not quantity.. but i sincerely feel that what i was writing was good...and i evaluated and analysed.. but still got a low mark...
i missed my offer at uni becasue of my C in politics.... i got 265 ums out of 400.... soo i was 15ums away from a B... does anyone know how many RAW this is???

Boundaries for the exam were
65/80 A*
57/80 A
49/80 B
41/80 C

THANKS. X:smile:
Reply 1
no Def not
Reply 2
You are marked only on what you write - the examiner doesn't know.

If you misjudged the quantity and lost focus then you will have disadvantaged yourself, but this is because the examiner will see an unfocused essay (which could have happened regardless of extra time).

If you feel you have been harshly marked you should seriously consider a remark.
ahhh okay.. so examiners do not know Whether a candiate has been given extra time or not??
and does anyone know what 15 ums converts to in raw marks... too see whether there is any point of remarking....

u see i wrote loads... thought my essay was well focused... and all sorts
bu wouldnt extra time put you at some sort of advantage (well time wise)... hence possibily doing better that you would off if you had the normal time...
Reply 5
no it is meant be an advantage to compensate for your disadvantage.
In my GCSEs i tried to write loads (25 pages for business) and didnt do as well as id hoped. This year i tried to become a much more concise writer for economics and feel like i did better. I think the examiners just get bored if you write to much and want you to pick your points better.
If you really felt like you deserved more though, possibly a remark?
65/80 was an A*? ****, I wish I had done A Levels.
The same sort of thing happened to me, I got awarded extra time in these exams and absoultely nailed an economics paper, however it came back 87/100. In the first economics exam I didn't have ET I wrote about half as much and it came back 100. I think I will get a remark because it is so puzzling.
yh i think ill remark it...
bu what is 15 ums in raw marks????
That reminds me of my GCSE RS. I wrote pages and pages and pages of what I thought was amazing stuff- certainly stuff that we'd been told to revise, and I managed to remember EVERYTHING.. and then only got a B. I was incredibly gutted!! Haha.
quantity does not equal quality.
Don't be ridiculous.

If you would be at an disadvantage, they wouldn't give you the extra time!!

People with disabilities get extra time for their benefit after all...
YHHH i do hope so..... cause it will b out of order.. if they knew and it influenced the way the examiner marked my paper........
Reply 14
i had extra time. it was great because i was able to do one exercise all over again and obtained that wished A :smile:
yhhh i no..... quanitiy does not equal quality... bu i a,m cetrain that what i was writtin was not rubbish... bu y is it that when u get extra time... when u get ur results u feel as if u have been marked harshly.. or that they know u had extra time...
aaahhh well im just gna pay 4 a remark.... hopefully when it comes back.. ill show you that my quanitiy was infact quality......
n its politics after all... possibily a subjective subject....
Reply 16
To be honest, I think this is a lot of disgruntled students who ran short of time during their exams. The truth is that sometimes impulsive answers are beneficial. And being left in limbo during your extra time in the exam pondering over how a question is phrased when you could be answering other questions that provide you with the marks may indeed lowered your grade.

Latest

Trending

Trending