The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

JayAyy
As long as I ain't the only one, then I'll defo be backing :awesome:

They said it sells out every year. Also, I can try and persuade my parents to pay for it now...
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 21
edmhaslam
They said it sells out every year. Also, I can try and persuade my parents to pay for it now...

I don't want to ask mine, but at the same time I have no money.
Reply 22
Got the pack today, loving the Booze Cruise :smile:!
Reply 23
I'll be booking for the booze cruise :biggrin:
What's the booze cruise?!
Reply 25
Economics at Cripps hall :biggrin:
Anyone know how hard it'd be to transfer from straight economics to economics and econometrics?
The Booze cruise should be quality!! Just hope its not a sausage feast thats all lol
Reply 26
LOL I don't drink. I don't know if I should come anyway.

Also what modules are you taken for BsC Economics in the first year?
edmhaslam
Anyone else received the information pack today from the Econ department? From reading it, does it mean that those doing Economics and International Economics have no optional modules?

Don't think so. Looks like we have 50 free credits minus whatever Economic Integration 1 and 2 take up.
Oh, and I'm definitely booking the Booze Cruise. :biggrin:
Reply 29
Defo backing the Booze Cruise too :yep:
Reply 30
vads92
Economics at Cripps hall :biggrin:
Anyone know how hard it'd be to transfer from straight economics to economics and econometrics?
The Booze cruise should be quality!! Just hope its not a sausage feast thats all lol

Should be fairly straightforward (as long as you meet all the requirements) as Economics and Econometrics is not as competitive as straight Economics. Basically, the course is the same as straight Economics but all the Econometrics modules are compulsary in each year as opposed to being a free choice.

If you have done all the right modules, you can ask for your degree title to be changed right up until 3rd year.
Reply 31
I'm baffed. Can we pick Quantitative Economics regardless of if we have A Level maths or not? Or do we have to do Mathematical Economics (leading onto econometrics) if we have A Level maths? :s-smilie:
Reply 32
JayAyy
I'm baffed. Can we pick Quantitative Economics regardless of if we have A Level maths or not? Or do we have to do Mathematical Economics (leading onto econometrics) if we have A Level maths? :s-smilie:

If you have A level maths, you can pick either. With a maths background, you will be able to cope with Mathematical Econometrics, but if you are not that confident (even though you have A level maths) you can opt to study Quantitative Economics.
Reply 33
hmjessop
If you have A level maths, you can pick either. With a maths background, you will be able to cope with Mathematical Econometrics, but if you are not that confident (even though you have A level maths) you can opt to study Quantitative Economics.

Thing is, I can't stand stats. And econometrics doesn't look that interesting :s-smilie:

I guess that decision is the difference between ending with a BSc/ BA as well?

They'll give us more information about the modules when we get there too, plenty of time to make our minds up then...
Reply 35
The Magnificent KoloToure
I guess that decision is the difference between ending with a BSc/ BA as well?

They'll give us more information about the modules when we get there too, plenty of time to make our minds up then...

No, they changed the rules last year. All you have to do is pass Quants/MathEcon and you get a BSc. Which is silly as almost everyone will end up with a BSc.

They changed it halfway through our second year too so there were a lot of people struggling with Econometrics just to get a BSc when they could have done a lot better with Quants and still got a BSc.
hmjessop
No, they changed the rules last year. All you have to do is pass Quants/MathEcon and you get a BSc. Which is silly as almost everyone will end up with a BSc.

They changed it halfway through our second year too so there were a lot of people struggling with Econometrics just to get a BSc when they could have done a lot better with Quants and still got a BSc.

I got an A at A-Level, but I'm not too confident with it (i'm not really confident with anything...) and my results got worse for every module. Would I be able to do the Maths Econ or should I play safe and do the Quantitative?
Reply 37
edmhaslam
I got an A at A-Level, but I'm not too confident with it (i'm not really confident with anything...) and my results got worse for every module. Would I be able to do the Maths Econ or should I play safe and do the Quantitative?

You can always go to both sets of lectures for a while and then decide. You have 2 weeks at the start of term to decide before you have to hand in your module choice sheet. There is also pre-sessional maths for Quants that you can attend and see what sort of level they work at.
edmhaslam
Anyone else received the information pack today from the Econ department? From reading it, does it mean that those doing Economics and International Economics have no optional modules?

Also, will photocopies of GCSE certificates / A-Level results be enough to show them?

I am confused about year three modules...
Is it 15 credit each optional moudle or just 10?:eek3: :confused:
Reply 39
dldnqor3172
I am confused about year three modules...
Is it 15 credit each optional moudle or just 10?:eek3: :confused:

Yes, all 3rd year modules are 15 credits. So for straight Economics, you take 8 modules.

Latest

Trending

Trending