The Student Room Group

Saint Olaves Grammar School

Any one here apply to St. Olaves Grammar school sixth form in orpington?
Just have a few questions,
Were the entrance exams relative to the subjects you chose to study at A-level or is it just general?

What's the exam questions like and the structure?

Also, I am choosing economics but I haven't studied these at GCSE level so will I be assessed on these in the exam(s)?

Any other information you have about the entrance tests/procedure will be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I am choosing Maths, Economics, Computing (+ another one which I haven't decided upon!)

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
double bump!
Reply 3
i know people who went, and it's like an extended gcse exam. it tests the same material, and a bit of stuff that's 'more advanced' to separate the average students from the amazing ones. i would recommend reading an AS level textbook for economics & computing, not in depth or anything but maybe a few nights skim reading?

it is a realllyyy over subscribed school, so giving yourself any advantage is seriously worth the time. i don't think there is much point consistently bumping this thread, as the minority of people will be from SE london & reading this, maybe just look into generic sixth form entrance exams? ask your current school tutors, contact their tutors and ask? ask current students, ask siblings of current students, etc. the student room is not the best resource for anything that isn't university, imo. good luck.
Reply 4
Same here! I'm applying for St Olaves and have no idea what I am going to be tested on! I'm doing Maths & Further Maths, Physics, Computing & Chemistry (DROPPING IN A2). Anyone have any idea of what the assessment is on or what you need to revise?
same here!
im choosing biology, chemistry, maths, further maths and geography! hope I get a place there!

btw there is not an economics paper as you have not studied it at GCSE, they will give you a maths paper to do! hopefully your A* at Maths otherwise its going to be tough!!
Reply 6
I too am applying for st olaves, however i am taking very different subjects.
I wish to study English Rs Drama and Biology.

I want to know what to expect in the Biology exam, as on the open evening I wasn't sure I wanted to take biology and consequently didn't go to it's session. Did they give any information on the exam?

What are your predicted grades?
Lily X
Reply 7
Original post by lilylouch
I too am applying for st olaves, however i am taking very different subjects.
I wish to study English Rs Drama and Biology.

I want to know what to expect in the Biology exam, as on the open evening I wasn't sure I wanted to take biology and consequently didn't go to it's session. Did they give any information on the exam?

What are your predicted grades?
Lily X

im applying to saint olaves.... theres **** load of competition for this school! haha, mine are like all a* then 3 a, but i really want to know what the exams are gonna be like so i can prepare:s well wanna go there!
Reply 8
Original post by max25
im applying to saint olaves.... theres **** load of competition for this school! haha, mine are like all a* then 3 a, but i really want to know what the exams are gonna be like so i can prepare:s well wanna go there!

Well you beat me on predicted grades! I'm on all A's and 4 A*'s, I think it's just going to come down to the tests though tbh. Good luck!
I'm in Yr11 St Olaves, and I just have to get 8 B's to get through to the 6th form :smile:. Good luck in your tests though; if you succeed you'll be in my year :O
Reply 10
ive applied for
spanish french latin rs

bnut i have heard that the tests are very tricky and have some a level stuff
Same here! I have no clue of what will be tested.
I am doing the subjects Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computing, Chemistry (AS)
Did none of you get the letters in the post? There's a sheet that indicates what the exams are based on and some basic tips.

I'm applying for Biology, Chemistry, Double Maths, AS Geography and my target grades are 10A*'s and 1A.

The tests are tricky though, and there's around 500 applicants and only 40 external places :/
what groups are you in? it says on your letter!
entrance exams!? for 6th form? wow olaves are up their own arse these days...

SKINNERS FTW
Original post by Barden

SKINNERS FTW

We own you at rugby!
Original post by planetearth
We own you at rugby!

that's simply not true :s-smilie:
Reply 16
wow i never knew it was so oversubscirbed
Original post by planetearth
My school! :biggrin:

I didn't know it was so loved!

off course it is! it's one of the best schools in the country!
Anyone got any tips on what to revise for the Olaves exam, "Double Maths", "Physics", "Computing", "Chemistry (AS)",
I also got recommended from my mate to "Study" AS Maths as students at Olaves do C1 (Core 1) in year 11

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending